Converting

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Asalaamu-alekem brother and sisters,

I am a Catholic who has been learning about Islam for some months now, but have been seriously looking into it (reading the Qur'an) for a couple of weeks. I am very impressed with Islam as it's beliefs are all those I agree with, it makes sense and also answers all the questions Christianity and other religions propose.
I have considered converting to Islam, but before doing so I want to read the whole Qur'an as then I will have read all of the Revelation and also it will give me more time to learn about Islam and the Prophet Muhammad, etc. I think this is probably best as it gives me plenty of time to be sure that this is the right decision to make, it also allows me to start changing my way of life before complete submission (i.e. give up drink, stop bad partying, begin to withdraw myself from music as I'm a Music Technology student and it's a huge part of my life atm).
Once I'm 100% ready I will take Sharada and then all the previous things I've done in my life are forgiven and I can start a fresh, new life with God. I just wanted to know what people think of this, whether they think it's a good idea to wait or whether it's bad to delay it?

Much peace.

Almeftah

welcome brother patrick;

i dont think its such a good idea to delay it, i dont mean to scare you but you never know, death may come to you today or tomorrow when you least expect it. then you'll never get a chance to go to heaven.

(quran 4:17-18)Allâh accepts only the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance and foolishness and repent soon afterwards; it is they whom Allâh will forgive and Allâh is Ever All¬Knower, All¬Wise. (17) And of no effect is the repentance of those who continue to do evil deeds until death faces one of them and he says: "Now I repent;" nor of those who die while they are disbelievers. For them We have prepared a painful torment. (18)

May Allah guide you to his righteous path.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Hello Patrick,

If you feel islam is the right religion , my advice is not to wait till you finish the quran.

Patrick dont worry about the drinking or music part because once you are on this spiritual path , all of these things will be minor to you.

massi

Walaikom asalam
I have found this topic I hope it'll be helpful
You have to do it: do it and don’t hesitate

Question:
Hello, I'm a 27 year old student from Bloomington, Indiana in the United States. I have discovered through many months of careful study and furious debate with the Christianity I was raised with that Islam is no doubt the clear, complete, and true word of the Almighty God. I had a furious struggle with Jesus but as I began to look upon his actual words in my new testament I found that they were completely, 100% in line with the Qur'an! I have not taken shahada and to be honest, I'm still a bit hesitant to. It is hard to describe the feeling one has toward the Christian faith after it's been drilled into you from the time of your birth for a solid quarter of a century. I am taking arabic classes this summer and am planning to enroll at Cales in sana'a in Yemen next summer for further study. My question is do I really need to take the final step because the Qur'an says that Christians who are dutiful will receive their reward. I question my ability to adhere to all the elements of Shari'a. The prayers, the mannerisms, the relationships with women, diets, etc. Is it necessary that I take this step and if I did, would I have to take an Islamic name, or is that simply receomended? Following that, would the name Ishmael be appropriate? Thank you

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We appreciate your question and your efforts in studying and researching very much, especially since you have achieved such great and true results. Although we believe most strongly that it is essential to become Muslim and that Islam is the only religion which Allaah will accept, because He revealed it as the final religion and way, we do understand something of the difficulty involved in leaving that which one is used to. But the wise person knows that he has to follow the truth even if it becomes clear to him after many years and even if he grew up in a different way. Hence Allaah condemned those who refused to follow the truth because they were following the ways of their forefathers. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"And when it is said to them: "Come to what Allaah has revealed and unto the Messenger (Muhammad for the verdict of that which you have made unlawful)." They say: "Enough for us is that which we found our fathers following," even though their fathers had no knowledge whatsoever and nor guidance" [al-Maa'idah 5:104]
"And when it is said to them: "Follow that which Allaah has sent down", they say: "Nay, we shall follow that which we found our fathers (following)." (Would they do so) even if Shaytaan (Satan) invites them to the torment of the Fire?" [Luqmaan 31:21]
"And similarly, We sent not a warner before you (O Muhammad) to any town (people) but the luxurious ones among them said: "We found our fathers following a certain way and religion, and we will indeed follow their footsteps." (The warner) said: "Even if I bring you better guidance than that which you found your fathers following?" [al-Zukhruf 43:23-24]

The matter will not be too difficult for you - in sha Allaah (if Allaah wills) - for indeed if you believe in Islaam you will be believing in all of the previous Prophets, and you will be believing in the Divine Books. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"O you who believe! Believe in Allaah, and His Messenger (Muhammad), and the Book (the Qur'aan) which He has sent down to His Messenger, and the Scripture which He sent down to those before (him); and whosoever disbelieves in Allaah, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers, and the Last Day, then indeed he has strayed far away" [al-Nisa' 4:136]

If you become Muslim, you will not be cut off from the sound roots, for every Muslim believes in the Messiah 'Eesa (Jesus) - peace be upon him - as a Prophet and Messenger, and he believes in the true Gospel - before it was distorted - as a Book that was revealed by Allaah. Maybe it will encourage you to know that everyone who used to believe in 'Eesa and then believes in Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) will have the reward twice. Hence when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent his letter to Heraclius, the Christian ruler of Byzantium, inviting him to Islam, he said:
"In the Name of Allaah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. From Muhammad the slave and Messenger of Allaah, to Heraclius the ruler of Byzantium. Peace be upon those who follow true guidance. I invite you with the call of Islam. Become Muslim and you will be safe. Become Muslim and Allaah will give you your reward twice, but if you refuse, then the sin of the husbandmen will be upon you. 'Say (O Muhammad): "O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians): Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allaah (Alone), and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allaah. Then, if they turn away, say: "Bear witness that we are Muslims." [Aal 'Imraan 64 - interpretation of the meaning]." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2723)

The Prophet of Islam, Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "There are three who will be given their reward twice: a man from among the People of the Book who believed in his Prophet, then when he comes to know of the Prophet [Muhammad] (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then he believes in him and follows him; he will have two rewards…" (The hadeeth was narrated by Muslim, 219).

On the basis of the above, the answer to your question is: yes, it is very important, indeed essential, for you to take this step which will change your life, bringing you a life of joy and tranquillity through being close to Allaah and believing in His Oneness (Tawheed), having the pleasure of worshipping and remembering Him, and earning reward by obeying Him and saving these rewards for the Day when man will need every single reward:
"On the Day when every person will be confronted with all the good he has done, and all the evil he has done, he will wish that there were a great distance between him and his evil. And Allaah warns you against Himself (His punishment) and Allaah is full of kindness to (His) slaves" [Aal 'Imraan 3:30 - interpretation of the meaning]

With regard to your name, if it has no meanings that involve Shirk (associating others with Allaah) or Kufr (disbelief), then it is permissible for you to keep your name. The name Ismaa'eel (Ishmael) is very suitable; how could it be otherwise when Ismaa'eel was a Prophet of Allaah of whom Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"And mention in the Book (the Qur'aan) Ismaa'eel (Ishmael). Verily, he was true to what he promised, and he was a Messenger, (and) a Prophet. And he used to enjoin on his family and his people As-Salaat (the prayers) and the Zakaat, and his Lord was pleased with him" [Maryam 19:54-55]

We ask Allaah to help us and you to do that which He loves and which pleases Him, and to guide us to the Straight Path, for Allaah guides whom He wills and He knows best those who are guided.

Islam Q&A

the_angels_ears

For Patrick

:)Salam Patrick..

I would like to share my thoughts with you. Like you I was a Catholic brought up from childhood and i was very confused especially when you had to eat the body of christ, i used to think that Jesus' body was kept in the tabinacle (peace be upon him) and it turns out that it tastes so much like a rice paper that i used to buy from the shop (how's that ?).

When i grew up I lost faith because i didn't understand until.. I met friends that were muslims and then through lots of discussions i finally understood that there wasn't alot of difference between muslims and christians only until it came to Jesus (pbuh).. muslims believe Allah took Jesus up with Him and placed another man that resembled him (this made sense to me)

Sorry to go on too much but i think if you truly understand there is only One God and Jesus (pbuh) was nothing more than a messenger then things for you will come in time. I've been muslim for 3 years and have not read all the Qur'an I've learnt how to pray and try everyday to be a better muslim.
I started to change myself for the better i.e stop drinking..then going out & then stopped smoking. I hope this has helped you my friend if you want to know more please don't hesitate to ask.

May Allah open your eyes and heart to the truth and make your path to Him strong. Ameen.

meer suhail

ILM seeker
Asalam o Alykum
my advice will be same as brother bomeshary's
--------------------------------------------------
May Allah make it easy for u ,protect u and help

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Salaam,

I could become a Muslim right now if I wanted, but that would mean for a while I would still be doing bad things from my previous life. Isn't it best to wait until you are definately ready to then become Muslim and not do the things you did in your previous life? And I understand that death could come at any time and inshaAllah I will become Muslim before mine.

Help me out brothers what would be best:

A) Wait until I am ready to submit myself to God and give up all bad things in my life and be able to make prayer and fasting etc, therefore being the best I could be?

OR

B) Become Muslim soon and try to change my ways while being Muslim, and learn to pray etc even though for a little while being Muslim I wouldn't be praying the proper way or living the right Islamic way?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Peace.

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
salam brother it's good that ur thinking of becoming a muslim but, and i don't mean to pressure you with saying this; but how do you know exactly that you will become a muslim before your death? you could never know that, i know u wish so, but still. but if ur not ready then i suggest you learn and when you are ready take ur shahada, cause there is nothing beautiful than that brother. may Allah bless u and us all insha allah.
take care:)

- manal.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
that litte thing that is holding you back is 'shaitan', devil.
be aware of his waswasa, because he is desperate to catch anyone, or anything at the perfect time.

in order to become a true muslim you have to be completely satisfied with the religion. THE MISCONCEPTION THREAD

i sugest you convert as soon as yr ready, because its the perfect religion, but hey its your own decision!

im not gona try to say anything else because islam is an open religion, and forcing others to it is a sin.This explains why we do not send out missionaries!!

:salam2:

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Hello Friend,

Masha Allah nice to hear friend that u want to turn towards truth (Islam) May Allah Help u ameen. Friend I m srry to say as our Sister Al-Salam mention no one knows what the next moment will be, I wish and pray to Allah that u be a Muslim before ur death as u mention. Friend dont worry about ur bad habits Islam is not just a religion it is a way/style of life what our Prophet (Peace and Blessing be Upon Him) has shown us in his life span. Friend once u start following Islam truly by keeping fear of Allah and love to prophet Mohammed (PBUH) then the thing (bad habits) ur mentioning r nothing u will ride them easly insha allah. So, I think its wise to accept the thing to the earleast when u see noharm in it just only benifit. May Allah help u and all of us in understanding and following the path of truth (Islam). Ameen.

Allah Hafiz.

umm hussain

Salaam,

I could become a Muslim right now if I wanted, but that would mean for a while I would still be doing bad things from my previous life. Isn't it best to wait until you are definately ready to then become Muslim and not do the things you did in your previous life? And I understand that death could come at any time and inshaAllah I will become Muslim before mine.

A) Wait until I am ready to submit myself to God and give up all bad things in my life and be able to make prayer and fasting etc, therefore being the best I could be?

OR

B) Become Muslim soon and try to change my ways while being Muslim, and learn to pray etc even though for a little while being Muslim I wouldn't be praying the proper way or living the right Islamic way?

Peace.

Hie

I am a revert as well. Born and raised in a Catholic family till almost 4 years ago now. I have not finished reading Quran and it took me a while to learn how to pray. I learnt what I needed to learn for praying and even then it was difficult. I had been Catholic till the age of 22 not in the actual sense of the word because I had already started questioning a few things and before reverting I had not been to a Catholic Church for about 2 years but I had been to a Methodist Church a couple of times before which I did not like at all. My search for the truth stopped when I came across the teachings of Islam and with time. I learnt a great deal and took me some time to get rid of my music collection but it was not difficult when I actually got to do it as it was for Allahs' sake and HE made it easy for me, and guess what I actually do not miss it like I thought I would. Actually I do not miss alot of the things I used to do. I feel privileged that Allah showed me his mercy and gave me a second chance in this life to inshallah be saved from the torment in the hereafter.

I think the previous posts speak for me as well, that there is no need to stop and think twice about it once the truth has become apparent from falsehood. Things are as difficult as we make them. My husband used to drink a lot before we both accepted Islam and was about to become a D-J but when he said his shahada he just said to himself I am not going to drink again and he NEVER did till now and it was no problem getting rid of his thousands of pounds worth of Music for Allahs' sake and I believe because he made the first step Allah helped it become easy.

It is up to you now to make the decision.. There is a difference between one who sins without knowing and the one who actually continues to live in sin despite the fact that he knows it is wrong. Remember Allah knows and sees everything so there is no point in telling yourself. I know the truth but I will just do wrong anyway and hopefully when I say my shahada I will be forgiven. We do not know when we will die, babies die, children die so definitely we can die anytime and how do you know you will live till you say Shahada.

I suggest you say your shahada because Allah can forgive everything except shirk and as your faith grows you will be able to stop everything else. Reading the whole Quran is not a condition for becoming muslim.

I suggest you read the Virtues of saying the Shahada

THE VIRTUES OF
THE DECLARATION OF FAITH

It has great virtues and has a great place with Allah. Whoever says it with truthfulness will enter the Gardens of Paradise and whoever did not utter it truthfully, his property and blood will be safeguarded in this world, but his reckoning will be with Allah, the Mighty and Majestic. It is a concise declaration that contains few letters, light upon the tongue, yet heavy in the scales. Our Noble Prophet (saw) educates us saying that:

Reported by Ibn Hibbaan in his saheeh and Al-Hakim in Al-Mustadrak
“Moses said: O my Lord! Teach me something by which I can remember you and supplicate to you. Allah said, O Moses! Say ‘Laa ilaaha ilallah’ (there is no Gods but Allah). Moses said: O my Lord! All your slaves say this. Allah said: O Moses! If the seven heavens and all that they contain, other than me, and the seven earths were placed in one scale, and ‘Laa ilaaha ilallah’ were put in the other, then ‘Laa ilaaha ilallah’ would outweight them all”.

This hadith proves that ‘Laa ilaaha ilallah’ is the best form of rememberance, as also occurs in the following two hadith narrated by Abdullah Ibn Umar:

Shaheeh by Imam Muslim: At-Tirmidhee (No. 2640)
“The best supplication is the supplication on the day of ‘Arafat, and the best that I, or any other Prophet sent before me, have said is: None, has the right to be worship except Allah, alone, having no partner. To him belongs the sovereignty, and to Him belongs all praise, and He has power over everything”.

Shaheeh by Imam Muslim: At-Tirmidhee (No. 2641)
“A person from my Ummah will be summoned in front of everyone on the day of Resurrection. Ninety-Nine scrolls will be unfurled for him, each scroll extending as far as the eye can see. Then it will be said: Do you deny any of this [i.e. your bad deeds]? So the man will reply: No, O Lord. Then it will be said: Do you have any excuse or any good deeds? The man in a state of terror, will answer; No. It will then be said: Rather, you do have some good deeds and no injustice will befall you this Day. So a parchment will be taken out for him, upon which there will be the testification ‘Laa ilaaha ilallah’ and the testification that Muhammad is the slave and Messenger of Allah. The Man will say: O Lord, what is this parchment in comparison to those scrolls! It will be said to him: No injustice shall befall you. The scrolls will then be placed in one of the scales and the parchment in the other; the scrolls will be light in weight, whereas the parchment will be heavy.”

The are also 7 conditions of Shahada which have been deduced from the Quran and Sunnah, and which explains its rights and restrictions that it is not merely a word that a person utters.

1. Knowledge (Al-ilm): of its meaning, what it negates and affirms. If a person says it without knowing its meaning, or what its requirements are, then he will not benefit by it, because he has not believed in what it requires. Rather, he is like someone who speaks a language he does not understand.
2. Certainty (Al-Yaqeen): that is to have complete surety of it and which it leads to repelling any doubt or suspicions about it.
3. Exclusively worshipping Allah (Al-ikhlaas): This is contrary to shirk (blasphemy). It’s what ‘Laa ilaaha ilallah’ points towards.
4. Truthfulness (As-Sidq): This prevents hypocrisy (nifaaq). The hypocrites utter it with their tongues, but do not inwardly believe in what it signified.
5. Love (Al-Mahabbah): Having Love and loyalty to Allah and His Messenger, seeking refuge to Allah from Allah, and seeking the pleasures of Allah.
6. Submissive compliance (Al-Inqiyaad): by fulfilling its rights – which are the obligatory actions – with sincerity to Allah and seeking His good pleasures.
7. Acceptance (Al-Qabool): This prevents rejection. This is achieved by acting upon what Allah has commanded and abandoning whatever He has prohibited.

Hope this helps

loveislam1

Patrick

Do you know that weather or not you know it you will continue to make mistakes? Unintetional or intentionally..........furthermore it is not our deeds that will get us into Paradise but Allah subhana wa ta'alas mercy. Yes we should live in a state of ferar and hope and ALL of your previous sins will be forgiven but if you wait till perfection it will never happen, Allah WILL help you get rid of your bad habits with true conviction persistance and practice, only through HIM and his help can you get rid of them.

I suggest you do not delay your shahada. Those who say La Illaha Ill Allah wa Muhammmed a rasool Allah are not liek those who do nost say it. It is A BIG and one that could mean paradise or hellfire.

misalat

OR

DEAR BROTHER, I SUGGEST YOU CHOOSE THE B) .... YOUR SECOND POINT ... THIS IS THE RIGHTWAY TO DO IT AND ALL WILL BE EASY FOR YOU INSHAA ALLAH :tti_sister:

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Salaam,

OR

Peace.
The truth is Patrick, every single muslim always strives to be their best, there is no 'default' Muslim which is the 'best', every one of us fluctuates and every one of us strives to be the best we can, based on what knowledge we have, and the knowledge we have is never stagnant, it should always be increasing, so as muslims our actions should evolve with the more knowledge we acquire day by day, it could be the most minor bit of knowledge we learn one day, or another major rule the next, which we just completely missed out on somehow (lol its crazy to think that happens, but it does)

You will be the best Muslim you can be, inshaAllah, but thats not going to happen as soon as you take shahdah, its like...training for the marathon or something, how does one become athlete just by verbally affirming to his coach 'yeh i want to be an athlete' ? its only through practising, learning and a lot of effort that it could be achieved. Same with being a Muslim, taking shahdah is like saying 'Im ready to start my training - I accept the nature and purpose of my existance' but it really is the beginning of a form of training, it depends on how well we respond to our guide (Qur'aan) and our example (Sunnah) which results in how excellent a muslim we become.

Knowledge is key to everything though, and we can never have enough of it.

at-trablusi

This thread has made me cry in awe and I am not embarassed to admit it.

:subhanallah:

May allah guide all the posters: those who have reverted, those who are considering it and those who were born to muslim parents.

May allah destroy the efforts of shaitan at distracting those who are about to embrace islam.

:wasalam:

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
This thread has made me cry in awe and I am not embarassed to admit it.

:subhanallah:

May allah guide all the posters: those who have reverted, those who are considering it and those who were born to muslim parents.

May allah destroy the efforts of shaitan at distracting those who are about to embrace islam.

:salam2:
My feelings exactly. I am proud to see such good Muslims and Muslimahs here. Very nice posts indeed.

To brother Patrick I say the same thing... Take option B.

If you don't want to say Shahadah in front of a gathering then you can still say Shahadah alone with Allah as your witness and with complete sincerity. Then stop worshiping any other God except Allah and stay away from the major sins like eating pork, drinking and fornication etc, and you will be a Muslim. And you know what... many Muslims born to Muslim parents are not even at this level. Learning the rituals of Islam and prayers will come after that, and InshaAllah you will be able to learn and do it much quickly because you are young, and you can learn these thing much faster than many of the folks who accept Islam at a later age.

Good Luck to you brother. May Allah help you and guide you in becoming a good slave of Him, and grant you Jannah in the hereafter. Ameen.

Suhaila1

~~~~~~
Salaam,

OR

Peace.

You sound as if you need a transitioning period to give up "all the bad things" in your life. You don't need to do that, you can stop at the VERY moment if you wanted to.

As far as learning how to pray, as long as you don't wait too long after converting, if you take a couple days after converting to learn how, I don't think that's a sin.

But you do what you think is right, and may God guide you =)

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Hello,

Ok, i agree wait untill you truly learn about Islam and read the Quran because then in my unproffesional opinion it will be easy to become better Muslim. Just my opinion.

Delta

Banned
i dont think its such a good idea to delay it, i dont mean to scare you but you never know, death may come to you today or tomorrow when you least expect it. then you'll never get a chance to go to heaven.

Are you saying that Allah rejects and dismiss all other pious persons from other religions ?