My story....hope you don't mind.

Barbara13

Asalaamu alaikum waramatulla wabarakatu....

I guess this is where we introduce ourselves, and I hope no one minds if I share my story. It's a bit long, so you might want to get some coffee or tea now. =o)

I was raised Catholic, and did not really follow the tenets of the faith, but went to church regularly until I was in my teens. My parents split up and my twin brother and I kind of went wild. No more church unless it was Christmas or Easter, and Easter was questionable. I had never heard of Islam, really, maybe something in a movie, but no conscious awareness of it. The ONLY reference I ever had regarding Islam was once my mom said, "Boy, those Muslims sure are devout....they pray 5x every day." I went out and partied and did some crazy things, but settled down for the most part in my late twenties. I still went to clubs with my friends, but it got more and more infrequent. It was just too depressing after awhile....same old thing, people trying to meet "the one" at a bar. Blech!

All of my life I had been looking for a religion, and tried different churches, but they just felt WEIRD. Even when I went to Cathlic Mass, I felt out of place. Like I did not belong there. I liked the ritual of the Mass, the solemness of the ceremony, but I felt the religion was a joke. Why do I have to confess my sins to a MAN?? When did God Almighty give him the clearance to waive my sins away with a few Our Fathers, Hail Mary's a some Glory Be's?? I became increasingly disillusioned, and eventually decided I would just have to be "spiritual" and not really follow any one religion.

In August 2001 we got a new co-worker in my department who was Muslim (was not and is not practicing). I asked her isn't she supposed to wear some sort of thing on her head, and she said, yes, but she doesn't. I would ask her tons of questions, about Islam (she always told me to shut up) and her native country (Nigeria). September 11th was just another work day until the events unfolded. We are about 30 mins from DC, maybe 45mins from the Pentagon, so the building was closed and we all went home. I was heartbroken watching the news, and so hard pressed to believe that some god could think this was wonderful, and would reward you for it?!?! I started looking into Islam to find out for myself what it was all about, since the media will only have you believing it's about bombs and blood. I found out more and more and was really into this thing. I asked some other Muslims at my job about it, but didn't get a lot of information (they aren't practicing either), and the ones who could help me didn't understand my struggle....they had not been raised being told Jesus was God. I never believed that, but it's still hard to get the idea out of your head when it's been told to you from a very early age. Then one day while visiting my family in PA, I came across an old National Geographics of my dad's....from 1978. It was about the hajj. That was my "lights shining down from above to the sound of singing" moment. I knew that THIS is what I had been looking for. But me being me, I started questioning everything. I read things that were too much for my brain (wudu instructions, for instance) and had to shut the book, turn off the computer, walk away, whatever. I overloaded myself with information that a person looking into Islam should not trouble themselves with. I had bought a Koran at Borders, which was really not a true Koran. After meeting a sister from WhyIslam in VA, I had a real Qur'an, and I would read it from time to time. I knew after only about halfway through Sura 2, that this was the truth. No matter what, I could not go back to Christianity, but I was not ready to go forward, either. I took some time off from my investigation, but it was always in the back of my mind. I had called a number 1-800-WHY-ISLAM and spoke to a nice sister there, who said I absolutely had to wear the scarf. Not what I wanted to hear at that moment. She had also been raised Catholic and told me to not stress myself, to just pray to God to show me "the truth." Not to show me Islam, or Christianity, but the truth. So I did. For about a year I prayed. I started asking some reverts about what they had gone through, and all of a sudden I realized I was making this way more difficult on myself than I needed to. Talking to other reverts I understood I did not have to be perfect before taking shahada. I wanted to be able to wear hijab without practically having a panic attack, and I wanted to not WANT to have a beer or two at a cookout before I became a Muslim.

But then I started thinking about dying, not about my possible immenent demise, or like I could die at any second, but more like, "If I become a Muslim, and my family buries me in a Catholic Mass ceremony, will I be in some sort of limbo?" All of a sudden I was compelled to go to this tiny masjid up the road from me. I called that day from work and asked if I might be able to come by with some questions. I called back and said maybe the next day, but then changed my mind and said that "tonight would be okay." I told the Imam several times that I did not have a scarf or anything, but I could run home and get a knit hat or baseball hat if that would be better. He said just come and it will be fine. His son let him know I was there (he's legally blind), and I walked in and went to where there were two chairs set up. I didn't take my shoes off because I didn't know any better. He had handed me a scarf when I had first walked in and said, "This is from my wife." and I proceeded to hold that scarf in my hands the entire time. I asked him about the whole "if I die Muslim and they bury me Catholic will I be in limbo" question. I gave him my 2yrs worth of worries that I had, from drinking to covering. He told me to not stress about those things, because the most important thing was for me to take shahada if I wanted to become a Muslim....those other things would take care of themselves in time, then asked me what I was waiting for. I didn't know. So he asked if would like to take my shahada, and I said yes. I said it in both English and Arabic.

I was almost 38 when I took my shahada, and figured I was past my prime....no one would want to marry me, because most Muslims marry young and start families. I was okay with that, if it was what was meant to be, but astonishingly, I met my husband 4mos later, and we were married 4mos after meeting! So 8mos after I took shahada, I was a wife! I am almost at my 2yr mark for being Muslim (Dec. 28), and I am so happy with my new life. I begain covering full time this past August and have had nothing but a positive experience thus far. :blackhijab:

Alhumdulillah it has been such a wonderful journey, and I am glad Allah blessed me with His guidence to the straight path. I pray that more people come to the path, especially my family.

stranger786

Dream of His Slavery
:salam2:

:ma:
:salah: :salah: :salah: :salah:
:muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child:
:arabi1: :arabi1: :arabi1: :arabi1: :arabi1: :arabi1: :arabi1: :arabi1:

:hearts:

Marwa17

:ma: mashallah sister, your story is sooooo motivational to the rest of us. May allah lead us all on the same route to jenna.

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Welcome to the TTI.com community, Sister! =)

God's peace and blessings be with you, Sister =)

This is one of the reasons I love this website, it really is: To be so blessed to be able to read postings like your's. To know that there're millions of us Westerners who've gone through such similar things, and all come through thanks to our faith in God and by the use of our incredibly designed minds.

Pardon me, how rude. Welcome to the TurnToIslam online, international Muslim community Sister Barbara. InshaAllah you will find it a wonderful tool on your journey further into this incredible way of life, and its community embracing and thoughtful. Hehe, truth be told there's not really any need to say InshaAllah, because the proof's in the pudding and I've been around here long enough to know that Allah has indeed blessed this cyberspace. =)

I particularly enjoy hearing from Catholic reverts. I guess I figure that it's the most difficult sect of Christianity to break through for a person. Myself, I was raised a Methodist, decided that it was too boring in my teens and went Baptist, and later became a Pentacostal as I was so addamant about God and Jesus. I too was told that "Jesus is Lord", and worse that "Jesus is God" - but I never believed it either. I always thought, Yeah right; Show me the verse where Jesus himself is saying this. Point out to me the chapter where he meantions that he's the 3rd part of a triunal God. But I always loved him, always held him as my highest rolemodel ... and it was by him that I was led to Islam. Well, ultimately by God I suppose. =)

I can relate to the partying, the risky lifestyle choices ... Alhamdulilah He's a very gracious and forgiving Lord, alone able to wipe the slate clean. =)

It's also interesting to read once more how 9/11 has brought so many of us to Islam. Personally, I believe that the American government was ultimately responsible for the incident that day in order to further their own powerhungry agenda and maybe help out their buddy Isreal's interests too - "the lone shinning jewel of Democracy(TM)(R)(C) in the savage Middle East". Ha!

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to share a very intimate and personal aspect of your life so publically with ... the whole world ... err, us. =o) Again welcome to TTI.com!

brighten

seeker of knowledge

Alhamdulillah, all praise is due to Allah for his mercy in guiding you to Islam.
May Allah bless you and strengthen your iman in your new found faith dear sister.

wassalam.

hambaAllah

welcome sis to the deen

:bismillah:
:salam2: sis
Alhamdulillah :allahuakbar:
:jazaak: for sharing..may Allah swt make the path easy for all of us till the end of our life :inshallah:

welcome back bro Ahmed.. saw u missing for quite some time missed some of those good n humourous articles of yours altho the young and handsome admin hehehe is humourous too at times;):)
:wasalam: :hijabi:

Noor to shine

Dear sister Barbarha : Thank you for refreshing Eman(Faith) in our hearts : I was born muslem but your words lightened my heart.....may Allah keep faith firm in our hearts till we meat him in a better place Amen.
Your sister
Noor
:wasalam:

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother Brandon and sister Barbara,

I was born in a Muslim family, and I always enjoy reading reversion stories. It is one of the ways a Muslim increases his faith, since here you are, living in the most advanced country [from the scientific and material point of view] and yet this didn't prevent you from accepting Islam.

It also makes us Muslims -who were born into Muslim families- further realise the value of Islam. To be able to see brothers and sisters who're willing to risk the pleasure of their families and societies in order to gain God Almighty's pleasure is truly inspiring.

I ask Allah the Almighty to strengthen your faith and to guide your family to Islam.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Akilah

Mashallah sister I am so happy and proud for you, and I pray you success in the next life and ease in this life, and taqwa all the days of your life. Ameen.

Imad

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

WElcome dear sister, al praise belongs to Allah ( alhamdullilah).

Wassalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

sky_012

Assalam u Alikum sister

first of all, welcome to this great place where you will find many people who will listen to you and try to help you as much as they can ; as they did with me
Jazak Allah for sharing with us your story , as it has been said in the previous posts, it benefits reverts and non-reverts , in fact it benefits every muslim to know about his/her borthers and sisters in islam and gives us all the motivation to acheive the most important goal of our life Worshiping Allah SWT and go to paradise if He wills

Jazak Allah again for sharing my sister :)

May Allah SWT Guides us all

:wassalam:

LoveIslam

ALLAH FORGIVE US
:bismillah: assalamualaykum sister :SMILY206: to islam the true religon on earth :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: your story is very nice sis :jumpclap: i always love to read the story of reverts :jazaak: for your story sis

basheerpkm

trying to be Mu'min
Dear Sister,

Assalaamu alikkum varahmathullah

Same as Bluegazer's word, when hearing reversion stories like yours & Ahmed's I am getting
pleasure & inspiration.

Thanks lot

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

Masha'Allah sister,

Alhamdulillah for showing His mercy to you and guiding you to Islam.

That was wonderful and touching to hear subhanallah.

I ask Allah (swt) to give you the best in this and the next life of eternity in Jannah, and guide your family as well insha'Allah.

wasslaam.

Umm3mar

"it has been such a wonderful journey, and I am glad Allah blessed me with His guidence to the straight path. I pray that more people come to the path, especially my family."

Welcome home sister. In Islam you have an incredibly large extended family. Insha'allah the family you grew up with will join as well.

Your sister in Islam

umm 3mar

BrotherZak

Thank for the stories truly inspiring. I even had to keep reading into my break period where i usually go eat something or pray the salat...but then i left and came back to finish off the rest.

Although i live in the west, these types of stories makes you realize how wonderful islam is and the value of it.

Take care and enjoy your time here.

Argus

Alhamdulilliah, such a wonderful story

It amazes me sometimes that we all come from various backgrounds, former beliefs (if not Muslim already :) ), and locations and yet have all accepted the Truth of Islam! I am so proud and happy to be on the Straight Path and insha'Allah will see you all in Jennah.

I pray Allah guides us all to the Straight Path. Aamiin.

ateeqah

Thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully this kind of story like this will help all of us to strengthen our iman. The revert muslims found islam because they really looking for truth. As I was borned as muslim surely it make me think a lot. May Allah guide us all.

:hijabi: