non-muslim female in a mosque?

kayleigh

I was thinking of going to one of two local Islamic Centers to observe and talk to the Imam. However, I have a few questions:

- How will I know which entrance to go into? (I don't know if it's standard or not, but I do know the one closest to me has separate entrances for men and women).
- Will the Imam be there during the day, between prayers, similar to how priests and some pastors stay in their offices during the day?
- I dress conservatively/modestly, but will I need to wear a hijab even if I'm not a Muslim? Will I offend people if I don't?
- And, of course, would it be OK to do - to go in and talk to the Imam?

arabiantxn

Salaam and hello their kayleigh ! 1st off I would like to welcome you here on the forum.

To answer your question i don't think it should not matter which entrance you choose to enter the mosque if you wish you can go into the ladies section or if you want then you can choose the men’s section to go in and ask questions. As for your attire as long as you wear modest clothing and if you want to you can cover your hair (preferred but not required). I am not sure if you can find the imam in the mosque all day or not. But you should be able to find some one who can help you. Masjid is the house of Allah and everybody is welcome.
I would say just go around interact and ask them questions you have.

you can use the link to get a general idea of where a masjid is
http://www.islamicfinder.org/

Imad

about gaoing to a mosque

Hello Kayleigh,

I think the beste thing you can do is looking in your area for a lady who can go with you to a mosque. This sister can help you in meeting other sisters in the mosque. Some sisters alhamdullilah can answer your questions. If you want really to speak to the imam, the sisters will make it insha Allah possible for you to speak to an imam in the right manner ( like with speakers etc etc..)It is better not to go without an hijaab to a mosque, or you can go to the mosque without hijaab, but if you are in the mosque or talk to the imam to cover your hair.

That's what i think it's the best manner. If a brother or sister has comments on what i have written, please i am open for your comments. It's only what i think is the best. And Allah knows best.

Bye Kayleigh, i hope insha Allah you will a muslim. From my heart i tell you it's the truth. This is the only thing thing i can tell you now. If you want to know more please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Hi sister!
Brothers and sisters have given you some good advice. I would like to add one more thing to it.
Why don't you find the phone number of a mosques or Islamic centre near you from a phone directory and give them a call first and discuss your meeting.
Both parties will feel much at ease and better prepared for a fruitful discussion.
allah knows best

may allah show us all the straight path

NewbieToIslam

Ah this is very good advice maa shaa Allah!! I think calling ahead would be best and much less nerve wracking! With the whole what to wear I'd say just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. As you said you're going to an Islamic centre, I know mine has visitors shown around all the time and obviously they don't wear Hijab. Perhaps you could ask the person when you phone if they know if the Imam would find it preferable if you did wear a scarf if u're worried about it. Before I reverted alhamdulillah I found it really exciting to wear the headscarf because it was something new & I had an excuse to wear it! So I would anyways just you know to try something new! I hope that you find all that you are looking for. May Allah guide us all Ameen.