Mainstream grocers - halal or haram?

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum...!

I am seeking opinions here...

Right after I took my shahada the brother who took it was instructing me on halal shopping. He informed me that here in the US since halal markets are uncommon (and tend to be extremely overpriced) we can buy our meat at regular mainstream grocery stores and not worry about it being haram. Over the months I've heard this repeated from most of the brothers at my masjid so I've taken it as a guideline. The only meat I really buy from a mainstream grocer is beef, as the halal stores in my area usually only carry chicken, lamb, and goat.

Well now I'm being told by a brother that since you never know just how the cow was slaughtered all grocery store beef is haram. As a man of Irish decent I love my corned beef and cabbage - and I know that the chances of me finding pre-seasoned corned beef (or even a brisket should I wish to season it myself) in a Halal market is slim to none so I have no compunction buying it now and again from a regular store.

Sooo... do any of you brothers and sisters buy from a grocery store? Or is it all halal markets for you?

Your input would be much appreciated!

JazakAllah Khairn

D

ummi h

asalamalekum brother.

i think the best person to seek your advice from is your local imam.
it is beneficial to get sahih ruling regarding your issue( to prevent from being mis- guided)
my in-laws live in america and they too had problems because they were no local halal butchers in their area and someone gave them the same advice you're given but only because they were no halal butchers they could go to.

brother you said yor local halal butchers do chicken, lamb and goats, maybe you can ask ask them to stock your prefered choice of meats.

anyway regarding my in-laws alhamdulilah they now have halal meat, by going to a farm and slaughtering the animal by themselves. there is a big group of families who buy the animal together and share it amongst themselves.

brother i hope you get the advice you are seeking inshallah and may the Allah make it easy for you inshallah.

wasalam.