The Dumb Girl

Maryam Zainab

Proud to be a Muslim
I would like to relate a story about a "dumb" girl. There was a rich lady with tremendous wealth. However, she had a dumb daughter who had very little intelligence. The people call the daughter a stupid. One day, the rich lady called her daughter and told her to make her some tea. The daughter made some tea and brought it to her mother. The mother took one sip from the cup and to her surprise, it was very delicious. She asked her daughter about how the tea was made. The daughter said that "I went to the backyard to look for some firewood. But, since it was raining, all the woods were wet. So, I went to the place where you store your money and picked up a lot of cash. Then I burned all the paper money to made the tea." The tea that tasted very good in the beginning to the mother now tasted like poison.

All of us reading this story is thinking that the daughter is really dumb. Why? Because she burned valuable money just to make a cup of tea. That's right, but in reality, that person is more dumber who burns his everlasting life in the hereafter (akhira) for this short life.

The wisest of all men is he who remembers death often and prepares for it.