NAIL POLISH!!!

abdelsalam

But...

Are nails the same as Skin?

"Nails themselves are made of keratin. This is the same substance your body uses to create hair and the top layer of your skin."

But this doesn't mean that nails and skin are the same thing.

There is nothing that says you cannot change the color of your hair (face or head) and this would invalidate wudu. There must be plenty of men and women who die there hair when it goes grey? Technically this would be a covering of the skin no?

It would be my choice to go without polish since I'm not sure either. But follow the Qu'ran and Inshallah you will be fine.

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

Brother Abdulsalam I think the thing is, when you dye your hair, the color becomes a permanent part of your hair. It's not covering, since you cant really pick or flake it off right? Until your roots grow out, or you re-dye it back the same color (which consists of coloring it again anyways) it will remain the same. It's similar to the principle of henna, from which Imam al-Nawawi says:

If there are traces of henna and its colour left on the hand, without there being any solid material left, or elsewhere, or traces of liquid grease whereby water flows over the limb but does not stay there, his tahaarah is valid.

Therefore, to compare nail polish and hair dye - is not the same thing.

Allaah knows best

wasalam

al-muslimah

This is incorrect, nail polish is not haram and we should not say things we are not sure of. Wearing nail polish is permissible but if we break wudu then it must be removed before we do wudu. It also is not made from pork, I have a degree in chemistry so I am fairly versed on the chemical make up of nail polish.

Yeah exactly. Even if it were made out of pork, it still doesnt make it haram. We can wear the skin of pork and do anything with it as long as we don't eat it.

al-muslimah

@Sister al-muslimah

No.

As far as I am aware, it isnt.
oh no sister.

pigs are "dirty" altogtether. we cannot use their skins. we cannot use their fats in cosmetics.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/1351/pig
Salaam alaycom akhi,

SubhanAllah although brother Ahmed yours says it's not permissible, mine says the opposite! :O

Check this out:
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503549320&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar

hmmmm what I also know about pigs is that we can transplant organs from them.

Check these websites and see sister Nadia from egypt and Shereen from the united states fatwas'.

- http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa/english/Browse.asp?hGuestID=wK6omh
- http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa/english/Browse.asp?hGuestID=iiXnyh

But honestly I would never get that operation done even if I had to die or will I get to wear a jacket made of pig skin! It's a psychology thing!!

Walsalam!

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Salaam alaycom akhi,

SubhanAllah although brother Ahmed yours says it's not permissible, mine says the opposite! :O

Check this out:
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503549320&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar

i have seen islamonline.net scholars are more liberal than islamqa scholars. maybe because former one is based in west and focuses on western muslims.

they are lenient in many areas like niqab, shaking hands with non-mahram, etc.

al-muslimah

i have seen islamonline.net scholars are more liberal than islamqa scholars. maybe because former one is based in west and focuses on western muslims.

they are lenient in many areas like niqab, shaking hands with non-mahram, etc.
you know differant opinions or maybe differant mathhab..SubhanAllah shaking hands with non-muhram? StagforAllah..never heard of it. Perhaps with gloves on.

Flianz

Nails are not skin

In the hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood (332) which that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) to Abu Dharr (may Allah be pleased with him): “If you find water, then let it touch your SKIN, for that is good.”

I don't consider nails as skin at all. The purpose of wudhu is to clean, if the nails underneath the nail polish are already clean, then what we need to clean just the surface. About Henna, what if the henna plant that is used actually came from dirty plant where (for example: a dog had peed or birds had pooped on the leaves), it would content najis, wouldn't it? And since henna absorbs on the nails, it would be hardly to get rid of the najis of.

All I am saying is, I believe Allah doesn't make this beautiful religion to be something difficult. Allah loves people who beautify themselves when they stand before Him in praying. Allah knows best to judge your heart and attention as He is the Most Judge. And Allah doesn't like people who exaggerate things.

And I ask for His forgiveness for all my sins and mistakes.

Salam

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
In the hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood (332) which that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) to Abu Dharr (may Allah be pleased with him): “If you find water, then let it touch your SKIN, for that is good.”

I don't consider nails as skin at all. The purpose of wudhu is to clean, if the nails underneath the nail polish are already clean, then what we need to clean just the surface. About Henna, what if the henna plant that is used actually came from dirty plant where (for example: a dog had peed or birds had pooped on the leaves), it would content najis, wouldn't it? And since henna absorbs on the nails, it would be hardly to get rid of the najis of.

All I am saying is, I believe Allah doesn't make this beautiful religion to be something difficult. Allah loves people who beautify themselves when they stand before Him in praying. Allah knows best to judge your heart and attention as He is the Most Judge. And Allah doesn't like people who exaggerate things.

Salam

salaam alaikum,

we have very limited knowledge. we cant depend on our opinions in understanding Quran and Sunnah.

Allah has blessed us with pious and wise scholars. we have to accept their views. and they say that nailpolish should be taken off before wudu and applying henna is allowed.

Abu Talib

Feeling low

Salam

How sure are you that the vegetables you eat are with pure mineral water, may be the dog also peed on it or must be drainage water etc. So does it imply your whole body is najis when you consume them?

People aren't dumb to make henna just by pricking leaves off and making it. Just don't come with your own conclusions.

Praise be to Allaah.

One of the conditions of tahaarah (purification) being valid is that the water must touch the skin. If there is any barrier such as grease, paint, wax or glue that prevents water reaching the skin, then the tahaarah is not valid and prayers offered in that case are not valid.

The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him): “If you find water, then let it touch your skin, for that is good.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (332); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Imam al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If there is on him any mastic or anything thick that will prevent the water from reaching the skin, his washing of that part for wudoo’ is not valid, unless he removes it or removes enough so that he knows that there is no barrier to the water touching the skin. End quote.

Al-Umm (1/44).

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If there is wax, dough, henna and the like on one of his limbs, which prevents water from reaching any part of it, then his tahaarah is not valid, whether the amount is large or small. If there are traces of henna and its colour left on the hand, without there being any solid material left, or elsewhere, or traces of liquid grease whereby water flows over the limb but does not stay there, his tahaarah is valid. End quote.

Al-Majmoo’ (1/529).

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (5/218):

If the colour is impermeable, then wudoo’ is not valid unless it is removed before doing wudoo’. If it is not impermeable, then wudoo’ is valid, as is the case with henna. End quote.

Hence this woman should have tried to find something to remove this nail polish, even if she had to go far away to find a place that sold it. She could also have removed it by using a strong kitchen cleaning agent or by rubbing it with a cloth dampened with liquid fuel, and so on.

We do not think that this woman has any excuse for praying with wudoo’ that was invalid because of this nail polish. Ignorance may mean that she is free of sin but it does not make the prayer valid.

She has to repeat the prayers that she offered with wudoo’ that was invalid because of this nail polish.

We ask Allaah to forgive us and her.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A