Halal KFC in UK?

Ibn Uthaymin

Anybody else think this is fishy? Is it allowed to "stun" the animal before you slaughter it? My friends went to one the other day and they had a feast. After that, a few objected others used the HFA as their proof.

http://www.kfc.co.uk/about-kfc/halal/

"Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why have you decided to trial halal in these stores?

Feedback from consumers has indicated that there is significant demand for halal food from KFC. We've chosen these stores as they are in within areas where we expect demand for halal food from KFC. Wherever possible, we have taken steps to ensure that these restaurants are within a 7 mile radius of a non-halal store in order to cater to all of our customers' needs.

2. How long will the trial last?

The trial is likely to last for a number of months. We will evaluate both customer feedback and the commercial success of the trial to establish whether it is something we will continue with.

3. What does this mean for my store? What will change?

There will be no change to the great taste of our products. 'Halal' is an Arabic word which simply means 'permitted' or 'allowed'. For our chicken to be halal accredited, a verse is recited from the Koran by an appropriate person at the point of slaughter - nothing else changes. However, because pork products are not halal, bacon will not be served in our halal trial stores.

4. How will I know which restaurants are halal and which are not?

See the list of participating stores provided above. Our halal restaurants will also feature the HFA (Halal Food Authority) logo on the door.

5. Why have you chosen my store?

We have chosen a small number of stores that are located within areas where we anticipate demand for a halal offer from KFC. However, we are committed to offering our customers choice and there is a non-trial restaurant in close proximity. The restaurant manager will be able to provide you with the address details should you need them.

6. Who will supply your halal chicken for this trial?

For our fresh Original Recipe chicken on the bone, we are buying from a reputable supplier who has been audited and accredited by the HFA to ensure that their systems and processes fully comply with halal requirements. We will continue to purchase only high quality, A-Grade farm assured chicken from the same leading suppliers used by Britain’s’ major retailers. All of our suppliers, whether halal or otherwise, are contractually required to meet or exceed all UK and EU legislation on welfare.

7. Does this mean your animal welfare standards have changed?

No, not at all. We will always only purchase high quality, Grade A, farm-assured chicken from the same leading suppliers used by Britain's major retailers. We remain committed to the same animal welfare standards and continue to insist that our poultry is stunned before slaughter, using a technique called 'stun-to-stun' - a pain free process that makes the animal insensible to pain and suffering. All our suppliers are contractually required to meet or exceed all relevant UK and EU legislation.

8. Is KFC's halal chicken stunned before slaughter?

Yes, due to our strict animal welfare standards, we insist that all our poultry is stunned before slaughter. Our halal chicken has been accredited by the Halal Food Authority, one of the most widely recognised bodies in the UK and overseas. It allows the use of a technique called 'stun-to-stun' - a pain free process that makes the animal insensible to pain and suffering. A verse is also recited from the Koran at the point of slaughter by an appropriate person and the poultry will not come into contact with non-halal meat at any point in the supply chain.

The HFA accreditation which is clearly signposted in the participating restaurants allows us to offer halal accredited meat whilst remaining committed to the same animal welfare standards as before, which meet or exceed all relevant UK and EU legislation."

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Salaamu 'alaykkum, there is ijmaa' among the scholars that if any animal is dies to the stun or violent blow, then the meat is haraam, but there is ikhtilaaf if the animal does not die due to the stunning, and HFA claim that they make sure the stun is light so as to stop the animal from running. Allaahu a'lam how true this is, but this halal meat issue debate has been going for ages in this country...

The way of slaughtering animals that is used in many countries is to strike the animal on the head or stun it with an electric shock, then slaughter it after that. Is slaughtering in this manner permissible? Please note that some people say that there is no text in the Qur’aan that forbids stunning animals.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

If stunning with a blow to the head or an electric shock kills the animal and it dies before being slaughtered properly, then it is mawqoodhah (killed by a violent blow) and it cannot be eaten even if its neck is cut after that. Allaah has forbidden it in the verse where He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Forbidden to you (for food) are: Al‑Maytah (the dead animals — cattle — beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering (that which has been slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah, or has been slaughtered for idols) and that which has been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow”

[al-Maa'idah 5:3]

The scholars of Islam are unanimously agreed that such meat is forbidden. But if it is still alive after being stunned in the manner described and is slaughtered properly, then it is permissible to eat it, because Allaah says at the end of the verse, with regard to animals that are strangled, dealt a violent blow, suffer a headlong fall, are gored by horns or partly devoured by wild beasts (interpretation of the meaning):

“unless you are able to slaughter it (before its death)”

[al-Maa'idah 5:3].

So Allaah excludes from these forbidden types of meat those that are reached when still alive and slaughtered in the proper manner. They may be eaten because of the effect of proper slaughter, unlike those that die by being stunned before being slaughtered, in which case slaughtering does not render them permissible. Thus it is known that the Qur’aan does forbid animals that have been stunned if they die as a result of that stunning before being slaughtered properly, because the animal that is stunned has suffered a violent blow, and Allaah has stated in this verse that such an animal is haraam unless it is reached while it is still alive and slaughtered in the proper manner.

Secondly:

It is haraam to stun an animal by striking it or giving it an electric shock etc, because that causes suffering to the animal, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade causing suffering and tormenting them, and he enjoined kindness and goodness in general terms, and with regard to slaughter in particular. Muslim narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not take anything in which there is a soul as a target.” And Muslim narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade tormenting any kind of animal to death. Muslim also narrated from Shaddaad ibn ‘Aws (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has decreed kindness (or proficiency) in all things. So when you kill, kill well, and when you slaughter, slaughter well. Let one of you sharpen his blade and spare suffering to the animal he slaughters.”

If it is not easy to slaughter animals unless they have been stunned by a method that will not kill them before they are slaughtered, then it is permissible to stun them and slaughter them whilst they are still alive, in cases of necessity.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-‘Daa’imah, 22/456-457.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
"Yes, due to our strict animal welfare standards"

That may be the case in the UK or EU, but from how they treat chickens in America it's honestly hard to believe. I've seen horrible videos from where people for animal right's groups snuck in undercover...I dont know how they sleep at night.

I would never eat a KFC, halal or not.
Because you're giving money to a heartless coroporation.

I am sorry if this is off-topic, but I feel strongly about it.

hana*

this is very interesting because there is a KFC, which caters for a large muslim population in Glasgow, newly opened and 'halal'. im suprised at how they are allowed to represent themselves as being halal when they stun the animals prior to slaughter, which is obvioulsly, as stated above, not halal. the majority of muslims do not know this :S

i also completely agree with sister alf2, why fund such a corporation in the first place..

Muslimah16

ServantOfAllah*
As-salaamu'alaykum brother.

It's unlikely it's halal brother. If you want to eat out etc then make sure the restaurant has the HMC (Halal monitoring committee) certificate. Like they say, it's our "seal of assurance".

Here's the link to the HMC website if anyone wants to check it out

http://www.halalmc.net/index.html

Wassalaam

Ibn Uthaymin

Baraklllahu feekum Jamee`3an. The thing is, generally I`ve seen Muslims who know KFC, McDonalds, Burger King are Haaram. But with this new HFA accredited deal, alot of Muslims are going there, like sister Hana mentioned.

I only trust HMC btw. Allah knows best

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Salaamu 'alaykkum, the choice is upto you at the end of the day, but what I have seen with brothers is that they are very quick to say that HFA is haraam, and this is a very serious thing to say. And something where people should be wary of. It must be known that there are valid opinions with regards to stunning and people should be careful of labelling things haraam, and Allaah knows best.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
Sometimes U can't trust the *Halal* label.

:salam2:
In countries where there is an amount of muslims in population, or having an Islamic comittee to check Halal food service they are lucky...
While in some places like I live, In my 3 years living here, I have met only a single Muslim.....there is a separate state or city in here where muslims live...and they say there are many good muslims there...the Meat which says its *halal* are brought from there ...

This person who says he is a muslim sell this packed meats...I use to buy it..I can't read anything on it except the Arabic label halal..all others are in thier local language..but then I found too many blood in it..some blood clots near bones and I could never eat it anymore...so its been like 2 years... I havn't tried any meat from here.:(:girl3:.....
more over it sucks that I can't anything outside cause non of it has halal meat..Plus poke is the main thing these ppl eat...Can't eat anything containing Jelatin, any kind of cake or pies(they use alcohol...u know I have a very suspectfull heart..just can't help it), so basically the foods I can eat here is limited...
Plus the cosmetics too.. Anything containing collagen or Q10...I can't use...:girl3::girl3:

I just pray to Allah swt that he guides the people in here and some day this place be an easier for muslims to survive.
:wasalam:

Ibn Uthaymin

Salaamu 'alaykkum, the choice is upto you at the end of the day, but what I have seen with brothers is that they are very quick to say that HFA is haraam, and this is a very serious thing to say. And something where people should be wary of. It must be known that there are valid opinions with regards to stunning and people should be careful of labelling things haraam, and Allaah knows best.

That`s what I did at first -_-. I gotta stop being so overzealous.

Ibn Uthaymin

:salam2:
In countries where there is an amount of muslims in population, or having an Islamic comittee to check Halal food service they are lucky...
While in some places like I live, In my 3 years living here, I have met only a single Muslim.....there is a separate state or city in here where muslims live...and they say there are many good muslims there...the Meat which says its *halal* are brought from there ...

This person who says he is a muslim sell this packed meats...I use to buy it..I can't read anything on it except the Arabic label halal..all others are in thier local language..but then I found too many blood in it..some blood clots near bones and I could never eat it anymore...so its been like 2 years... I havn't tried any meat from here.:(:girl3:.....
more over it sucks that I can't anything outside cause non of it has halal meat..Plus poke is the main thing these ppl eat...Can't eat anything containing Jelatin, any kind of cake or pies(they use alcohol...u know I have a very suspectfull heart..just can't help it), so basically the foods I can eat here is limited...
Plus the cosmetics too.. Anything containing collagen or Q10...I can't use...:girl3::girl3:

I just pray to Allah swt that he guides the people in here and some day this place be an easier for muslims to survive.
:wasalam:

You have a valid point, there seems to be a number of stores with that label, and a lot of "haram" in it. Its best to be cautious, Allah knows bes.

Oh btw, You can have chips and fish fingers :)