Cats during Salat?

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

My cat has passed in front of me while I have been praying. Does this affect how my prayer is heard since it's not a human that I can teach to not do that? Just curious if anyone has any evidence from Qur'an and/or Hadiths that can help me determine what this means/what to do.

:wasalam:

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Wa alaikumussalaam,

Insha Allaah this might help you.

Does a cat invalidate one’s prayer?

Question:
If my pet cat walkes infront of me or sits infront of me while I'm praying what must I do carry on my prayers of or cut off and shoo it away?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Prayer is invalidated if one of three things mentioned by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) walks in front of the worshipper. He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Prayer is invalidated by a woman, a donkey or a dog; that may be prevented by something equal in height to the back of a saddle [placed in front of the worshipper as a sutrah or screen].” (Narrated by Muslim, 511).

According to one report, “a black dog.” The narrator said: “I said, ‘O Abu Dharr, what is the difference between a black dog and a red or yellow dog?’ He said, ‘O son of my brother, I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) the same question, and he said, “The black dog is a devil.”’” (Narrated by Muslim, 510).

This ruling applies if one of the things mentioned passes in front of the worshipper and he does not have a sutrah or object to serve as a screen in front of him. But if he has a screen in front of him and the person or animal passes beyond that sutrah, then his prayer is not affected, because of the hadeeth of Abu Juhayfah who said: “I heard my father narrating that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) led them in prayer in al-Bat-ha’, and in front of them was an ‘anzah (a short spear, iron-tipped at its lower end). He prayed two rak’ahs for Zuhr followed by two rak’ahs for ‘Asr, and a woman and a donkey passed in front of him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 495).

This ruling applies to the imaam and to one who is praying alone; with regard to the members of a congregation praying behind an imaam, the sutrah of the imaam is also a sutrah for them. See question no. 3404.

As for cats, they do not invalidate the prayer even if they pass in front of you, because the basic guideline is that the prayer is valid, and there is no evidence to suggest that cats can invalidate the prayer.

But the worshipper should try hard to ensure that nothing passes in front of him. ‘Amr ibn Shu’ayb narrated from his father that his grandfather said: “We stopped with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in Thaniyyat Adhaakhir and the time for prayer came, so he prayed facing a wall which lay in the direction of the qiblah, and we were behind him. A lamb came and tried to pass in front of him and he kept pushing it back until its belly was pushed up against the wall, then it passed behind him.” (narrated by Abu Dawood, 708; al-Albaani said in Saheeh Abi Dawood, it is hasan saheeh, 652).

Question: are cats taahir (pure) or naajis (impure)?

Answer: cats are taahir, and based on that, if a cat drinks from a vessel of water, the vessel does not become impure, because of the hadeeth of Kabshah bint Ka’b ibn Maalik, who was in the house of Abu Qutaadah: “Abu Qutaadah came in and I poured water for him to do wudoo’. A cat came and drank some of the water so he tilted the vessel to let it drink. He saw me looking at him and said, ‘Do you find it strange, O daughter of my brother?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that they are not naajis, rather they are among those who go around amongst you.’” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 92; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi..

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Umm3mar

Salamo Aleikom

Jazakum'allakyer for both the question and the response.
My cat as well is fond of entering our prayer room. Subhan'allah, even if he is only walking by the room when we're getting ready to pray, he'll enter and sit near my husband until the prayer is done.

I am glad this question was asked because I was also curious about it, if because the cat was in front of us in sujud if he was "cutting off" our prayer.

Again, jazakum'allakhyer for asking as well as answering.

nazeer

:SMILY286:
:salam2:

My cat has passed in front of me while I have been praying. Does this affect how my prayer is heard since it's not a human that I can teach to not do that? Just curious if anyone has any evidence from Qur'an and/or Hadiths that can help me determine what this means/what to do.

:wasalam:

well the best thing for u to do is ask
a moolana scholer in ur musjid(mosque)the imam saab
if u have a close musjid near u ok salam.

elmardi8

Black dog

Wa alaikumussalaam,

Insha Allaah this might help you.

Does a cat invalidate one’s prayer?

Question:
If my pet cat walkes infront of me or sits infront of me while I'm praying what must I do carry on my prayers of or cut off and shoo it away?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Prayer is invalidated if one of three things mentioned by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) walks in front of the worshipper. He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Prayer is invalidated by a woman, a donkey or a dog; that may be prevented by something equal in height to the back of a saddle [placed in front of the worshipper as a sutrah or screen].” (Narrated by Muslim, 511).

According to one report, “a black dog.” The narrator said: “I said, ‘O Abu Dharr, what is the difference between a black dog and a red or yellow dog?’ He said, ‘O son of my brother, I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) the same question, and he said, “The black dog is a devil.”’” (Narrated by Muslim, 510).

This ruling applies if one of the things mentioned passes in front of the worshipper and he does not have a sutrah or object to serve as a screen in front of him. But if he has a screen in front of him and the person or animal passes beyond that sutrah, then his prayer is not affected, because of the hadeeth of Abu Juhayfah who said: “I heard my father narrating that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) led them in prayer in al-Bat-ha’, and in front of them was an ‘anzah (a short spear, iron-tipped at its lower end). He prayed two rak’ahs for Zuhr followed by two rak’ahs for ‘Asr, and a woman and a donkey passed in front of him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 495).

This ruling applies to the imaam and to one who is praying alone; with regard to the members of a congregation praying behind an imaam, the sutrah of the imaam is also a sutrah for them. See question no. 3404.

As for cats, they do not invalidate the prayer even if they pass in front of you, because the basic guideline is that the prayer is valid, and there is no evidence to suggest that cats can invalidate the prayer.

But the worshipper should try hard to ensure that nothing passes in front of him. ‘Amr ibn Shu’ayb narrated from his father that his grandfather said: “We stopped with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in Thaniyyat Adhaakhir and the time for prayer came, so he prayed facing a wall which lay in the direction of the qiblah, and we were behind him. A lamb came and tried to pass in front of him and he kept pushing it back until its belly was pushed up against the wall, then it passed behind him.” (narrated by Abu Dawood, 708; al-Albaani said in Saheeh Abi Dawood, it is hasan saheeh, 652).

Question: are cats taahir (pure) or naajis (impure)?

Answer: cats are taahir, and based on that, if a cat drinks from a vessel of water, the vessel does not become impure, because of the hadeeth of Kabshah bint Ka’b ibn Maalik, who was in the house of Abu Qutaadah: “Abu Qutaadah came in and I poured water for him to do wudoo’. A cat came and drank some of the water so he tilted the vessel to let it drink. He saw me looking at him and said, ‘Do you find it strange, O daughter of my brother?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that they are not naajis, rather they are among those who go around amongst you.’” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 92; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi..

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid[/QUOTE

I came to this website to learn more about islam. I am currently not a muslim but rather on my way.I had a question about the dog,though. I have a black puppy,it is a minature toy breed, if i became muslim, i would have to get rid of the dog? I would not want to have something that you are not suppose to.Thank you.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Well maybe since the dog is impure; your house will become impure. Inshallah you will one day become muslim and before you die Inshallah. Please ask whatever you want and PLEASE make a thread and tell people PLEASE I don't want to cry if you die without beleiving in the oness of Allah (God) ;_; so PLEASE bekeive and ask questions but also tell people that you are looking to become muslim and then they can Inshallah help you.

brother4ever

Assalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuhu

All creatures are the creation of Allah Taãla and do deserve the recognition of being a creation of the Almighty. As much as Muslims detest even the sight of pigs - it is the creation of Allah Taãla - and because Allah has placed life into it, we cannot inflict pain nor torture the pig. Similarly Allah Taãla created the dog from among His creation. This does not mean that we should love the dog. It is perhaps the indoctrination of the Western culture that 'The dog is Man's best Friend'. The theory that 'dogs are very dependent on Human affection' is a myth - again culture and custom has helped to develop this unnatural behaviour. Allah Taãla the Creator of this Universe - having created the dog would surely have known that the dog requires Human affection and love to exist in this world. Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) would have advised us, Muslims, to keep dogs as pets. On the contrary, we are instructed not to keep dogs as pets and 'love' them as exemplified by the non-Muslims. Remember our life is structured and bound by the Shariah i.e. The Noble Qurãn and the beautiful example of Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam). Consider these Ahaadith: Hadhrat Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu Ánhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, "Angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or an animate picture. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith no. 2986) Hadhrat Ibn Abbas (Radhiyallaahu Ánhuma) reports from Hadhrat Maimoona (Radhiyallaahu Ánha) that once Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) became sad; and said that Jibra'eel (Álayhis Salaam) promised to meet him at night but did not turn up. "By Allah what has kept him back," said the Prophet (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam). Then he realised a puppy was under his bed. He ordered that the puppy be removed and the area be sprinkled with water. In the afternoon when Jibra'eel (Álayhi Salaam) came, Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) enquired as to the delay. Jibra'eel (Álayhi Salaam) said that we, the group of Angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or pictures. (Sahih Muslim Hadith no.3928) In the light of these Ahaadith and other narrations it is not permissible to keep dogs as pets. The household is deprived of the Mercy of Allah Taãla. However, Jurists have stated that it is permissible to keep a dog, sell dogs and rear them for security purposes, farming and hunting. (Fataawa Mahmoodiyyah vol.8 pg.263) The saliva of a dog is Najis (impure). If it touches the clothes or body, that portion also becomes impure and must be washed. and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

almouchie

salam
thanks for info i didnt know that
a question though
if a man passes by a woman, does the same ruling apply as well