Question

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah everyone here at TTI is strong in health and Iman. I have a question about my fasting. I have Asthma and sometimes require the use of an inhaler. I thought nothing of using it prior to today but when I tried using it today in front of one brother he told me he thinks if I use it I will be breaking my fast. I didnt use it and wont until Im sure its ok to use without breaking my fast.

Does anyone know anything about this? I know regular medicine that you swallow breaks the fast but this is a mist that goes directly to my lungs and not to my stomach. Is there a difference?

wa salam

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2: Sister,

Many contemporary Scholars say it doesn't break the fast, because negligible amount of it reaches the stomach.

You might want to search on islam-qa.com.

:wasalam:

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Sister, I hope this will be helpful.

Using a puffer for asthma does not invalidate the fast
Does using a puffer for asthma in the mouth during the day in Ramadaan invalidate the fast for one who is suffering difficulty in breathing?.

Praise be to Allaah. Using a puffer for asthma during the day in Ramadaan does not invalidate the fast.
The puffer used for asthma does not invalidate the fast because it is a pressurized gas that goes to the lungs, and is not food, and it is something that is always needed, in Ramadaan and at other times.
Fataawa al-Da’wah, Ibn Baaz, no. 979.
See the booklet Sab’oon Mas’alah fi’l-Siyaam (Seventy issues related to fasting).
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
This puffer evaporates and does not reach the stomach, so in this case we say that there is nothing wrong with using this puffer when you are fasting, and you do not break your fast by doing that.
Fataawa Arkaan al-Islam, p. 475
The scholars of the Standing Committee said:
The asthma medication that the patient uses by inhaling it reaches the lungs via the trachea and does not reach the stomach, so it is not food or drink or anything of the sort… So it seems that the fast is not broken by using this medicine.
Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/130
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

rightpath_357

Salam sis- May Allah bless you and accept your dua's. ;)

Something to add on- if you MUST take the medicine at times, go right ahead. Allah is most Merciful and he won't give you more of a burden then you can bear. That- and the fact that we don't want you fainting.. :lol: :hearts:

Salam! :D