Which Qur'an Translation?

Valerie

:salam2:

A friend of mine was given a copy of the Qur'an recently, and it turned out it was a translation by some sect that translated based on their own views (I don't know the details).

My mom gave me a gift card for a book store, so I thought it would be nice to get my friend a new copy (preferably one with original arabic plus the english translation, hardcover... something nice). I know a lot of people have done translations, but can anyone recommend a specific translator? I don't want to make the mistake of getting her a bad copy again.

Jazakallah Khair

:wasalam:

sachin4islam

Walikum Assalam:

The authentic translation,I prefer is with title of ''Noble Quran'' with extensive foot-notes from various Hadiths corresponding to verses. This translation maintains the poetic sense of Quran. Its a perfect and Non-Manipulated translation.

habib786

Yousif Ali Quranic translation is very good .. u may have a look in it .. thank you.. hope it helps... Allah Hafiz

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah

I am also using the ''Noble Quran'' , but Now a days im using both ''Noble Quran'' and SHIH INTERNATIONAL's translation...

Sahih International's translation is easy to understand and very informative MASHA ALLAH...

Nayyararsi

Kashmiri Brother
Walikum Assalam:

The authentic translation,I prefer is with title of ''Noble Quran'' with extensive foot-notes from various Hadiths corresponding to verses. This translation maintains the poetic sense of Quran. Its a perfect and Non-Manipulated translation.

Exactly brother Noble Quran translated by Dr Mohsin Khan is the best available translation in the market...

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
i am using translation of meaning by Dr. Taqi ud din khan and Dr. Muhsin khan. finding it good. (probably same as Noble Quran as memebers mentioned)..
subhan Allah.

islamdonlyway

i am using translation of meaning by Dr. Taqi ud din khan and Dr. Muhsin khan. finding it good. (probably same as Noble Quran as memebers mentioned)..
subhan Allah.

yep same im useing the translated version by Dr. Taqi ud din khan and Dr. Muhsin khan, i think its the best out there ! and yes its 'noble quran' !

uddim004

i am also using the ' THE NOBLE QU'RAN ' . this also has footnotes at the bottom of most pages which supplement the translation to help you understand as much as possible. i got this from Saudi Arabia 2 years ago wheni went for umra. :salam2:

eminbey

信得過…是我的名字
Selam Alikom
Yusuf Ali translation aint good,
he is translating the highness of Allah on the throne by saying ( authority)
and this is a misguided way to translate our lord's names and characters

HappyMuslimah

Exams:Duas please!
Selam Alikom
Yusuf Ali translation aint good,
he is translating the highness of Allah on the throne by saying ( authority)
and this is a misguided way to translate our lord's names

I quite liked this translation - when he translates contentious words, he explains his interpretation of which word he chose. And I thought he explained all the metaphorical meanings fairly well. Can you please explain your opinion? I'd really appreciate it because I don't want to have spent my time reading something inaccurate lol

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Me too - I've only read the Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation, and so I don't want to have read all of that, soaking up the meaning and everything, having read it very very slowly over the course of thousands of hours and many years, and then to know that it isn't an accurate translation?????

eminbey

信得過…是我的名字
Salam Alikom
Bismillah (in the name of Allah)
alhamdulillah wahdah( all praise belongs to Allah alone)
as you know sister the prphet of Allah muhammed peace be upon told us that his nation will be sparated into 73 groups
one of them is in pradise while the 72 left in hell fire (may allah protect us)
and from the creed of this 1 Group (ahl sunnah waljama3a) is to beieve in Allah's names and character and never try to draw an Image of Allah
Nor deny acharacter of Allah
so when you read in Quran that Allah all hearing ......say:" yes Allah hears us "
and do not say :"the meaning of hear is so and so"
same thing conserning all charcters of Allah
we do believe in it with no Likening
No Representation
no Disabling
no Distortion

eminbey

信得過…是我的名字
5. ((Allah)) Most Gracious is firmly established on the throne (of authority).
see in this verse above is Surat TA HA
he Wrote of athority while this is the right way to translate it right down

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

eminbey

信得過…是我的名字
at first when I wanted to read what do converts read (knowing that I'm a born Muslim knowing Arabic)
I first tried to read SURAT NAML(aunts) which is one of my favorite chapters
I noticed that he sometimes(Yusuf Ali) deviated when translating the real meaning in arabic
so subhanallah I feel very upset because nobody in this forum wanted to warn our new brothers and sisters,and let them learn the true Islam and the true doctrine of the companions

eminbey

信得過…是我的名字

A friend of mine was given a copy of the Qur'an recently, and it turned out it was a translation by some sect that translated based on their own views (I don't know the details).

My mom gave me a gift card for a book store, so I thought it would be nice to get my friend a new copy (preferably one with original arabic plus the english translation, hardcover... something nice). I know a lot of people have done translations, but can anyone recommend a specific translator? I don't want to make the mistake of getting her a bad copy again.

Jazakallah Khair

wselam
sis try to find this one
its a very good translation

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

I quite liked this translation - when he translates contentious words, he explains his interpretation of which word he chose. And I thought he explained all the metaphorical meanings fairly well. Can you please explain your opinion? I'd really appreciate it because I don't want to have spent my time reading something inaccurate lol

There are plenty of works on tafseer and translations of ayat of the Quran that though contain very good explanations/deliberations have errors with regards to Aqeedah.

Therefore,we should try to study the Aqeedah of Ahlus Sunnah in detail and try to be well versed in it, so that we may not be mislead into misunderstanding by reading any translation/work of tafseer.

I don't know what you mean by metaphorical meanings, but if they are used in a way to deny the attributes of Allah azz zawajal then it is certainly a grave mistake in the works. As I mentioned earlier, if you have a firm foundation in Aqeedah, you will know what we are trying to convey.

Me too - I've only read the Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation, and so I don't want to have read all of that, soaking up the meaning and everything, having read it very very slowly over the course of thousands of hours and many years, and then to know that it isn't an accurate translation?????

The best way to understand and ponder on the Quranic verses is by learning Arabic. Translations always have shortcomings regardless of how linguistically well versed the translator is. So if you are doing to spend a lot of hours deliberating on the miraculous revelation, it would be a good idea to understand the way it was revealed ie in Arabic.

I hope this made sense. Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I have two:

1) A small English & Arabic copy by Yusuf Ali (my first Qur'an alhamdulilah)

2) AN EPIC ENGLISH, ARABIC AND TRANSLITERATED VERSION! It was $30 but I use it all the time in reguards to prayer and such. It also has a mini Arabic lesson in the back. I bought it on the internet :) I can give details if anyone wants.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I believe I posted a similar response, so forgive me.

I read an excellent article this week. It was an interview with a prominent scholar in the US.

In summary, only 20% or Muslims are able to read Quranic Arabic. This implies there are 80% of Muslims who obey the Sunnath, Hold on to the Rope of Allah, memorize the Holy Ayats of the Sura's of the Kitab, follow the five pillars, and know the six kalmas.

There is a blessing in listening to the Quran. This is the Life of the Word. The Word connects to our hearts in a multiple dimension. As if we are in a state of prayer.

I found this to be profound.

I put on Quran Explorer, follow along, change the format etc.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!

There are plenty of works on tafseer and translations of ayat of the Quran that though contain very good explanations/deliberations have errors with regards to Aqeedah.

Therefore,we should try to study the Aqeedah of Ahlus Sunnah in detail and try to be well versed in it, so that we may not be mislead into misunderstanding by reading any translation/work of tafseer.

I don't know what you mean by metaphorical meanings, but if they are used in a way to deny the attributes of Allah azz zawajal then it is certainly a grave mistake in the works. As I mentioned earlier, if you have a firm foundation in Aqeedah, you will know what we are trying to convey.

The best way to understand and ponder on the Quranic verses is by learning Arabic. Translations always have shortcomings regardless of how linguistically well versed the translator is. So if you are doing to spend a lot of hours deliberating on the miraculous revelation, it would be a good idea to understand the way it was revealed ie in Arabic.

I hope this made sense. Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

jazak Allahu khyir for the post.. i didnt know the importance of learning Classical Arabic until very recently.. wallahi none can translate the Qur'aan.. they can only try to bring the interpretation of the verses. but even then there are are many shortcomings.

may Allah enable us all, non arabic speakers to learn arabic.. ameen.

btw.. i think tafseer ibn kathir the abridged version will also be a good book to get hold if you want elaborated meaning of the verses with hadith references. correct me if i am wrong.

salaam