but the Quran...

allahsservant

beautifl muslimah
i am a convert to Islam and love everything about Islam, but try as i might i cannot seem to want to read the Quran...i think its becuase i cant ,sometimes, understand what it says.. can anyone give me some advice?:tti_sister:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
i am a convert to Islam and love everything about Islam, but try as i might i cannot seem to want to read the Quran...i think its becuase i cant ,sometimes, understand what it says.. can anyone give me some advice?:tti_sister:

:salam2:

Understand => get a quran translation book...
Maybe you can go to the mosque ask around anyone willing to teach
Im sorry.. i cannot think of anything . InshAllah others will be give better advice...

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

The reason you might not want to read the Quran is because you don't actually understand it. Just like Brother Al Kathiri suggested, it would be better to get an english translation.

Here is a link to a brilliant english translation of the quran, which is also very easy to read. You can also download it if you like.

http://www.road-to-heaven.com/noblequran.htm

wasalam

boupj

Assalaamu Alaikum
I'm not sure if you're trying to read Quran in Arabic or an english translation, if you mean you get confused whe you read, that happened to me too before I got a copy with really good footnotes. If this is the case (that all the information confuses you because it can get pretty complicated) then I suggest finding a Quran with good footnote, ask around your area and see if people can suggest any to you. Also try going a bit at a time I was at a sisters house yesterday, and what she does is after Zhuhr, Asr and Maghrib prayer she read two pages, at least and more if she feels, byt going slowly and not putting pressure reading Quran can becaome a part of your every day activity, whereas if you think "I haven't read Quran in a while I should read for an hour tonight," you might be trying to put too much info into your brain. Insha'Allah this helped.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I think I understand what you mean now. My sister had a similar problem. She found it very difficult to read some of these english translations. She said that it was like 'trying to understand Shakespear's plays'. I suggest that you try and find a copy of the Holy Quran translated by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D. & Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan. It's very easy to understand and I've posted a link for it in my previous post.

wasalam

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum,

Sister, Here I refer one of the best video lessons explaining the Quranic verses. To my knowledge, these are one of the best sources to understand quran according to the context. And the scholar name is Dr. Israr Ahmed, the man with vision and one in a billion.

Here it is: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=israr+ahmed+explanation+translation&hl=en

The videos link at the official website of the scholar is: http://www.tanzeem.us/IONA/Files/AV_Video.htm

I highly recommend you throughly attend these video lectures.

WassalaamuAlaikum WRWB,
VE

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA

I think I understand what you mean now. My sister had a similar problem. She found it very difficult to read some of these english translations. She said that it was like 'trying to understand Shakespear's plays'. I suggest that you try and find a copy of the Holy Quran translated by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D. & Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan. It's very easy to understand and I've posted a link for it in my previous post.

wasalam

Salaam brother,

EXCELLENT analogy. English translations of the Qur'an that try to be as true to the original as possible (alhamdulillah) can seem a little 'outdated' for the contemporary English speaker...Good footnotes are essential. My English Qur'an is that of Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall, the first Qur'an translation by an English Muslim (at least I think?), and he was also fluent in Arabic (as well as Turkish and Urdu).

You can order them on the net (for free, obviously, although some sites might charge just enough to cover postage).

Globalpeace

Banned
Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall

Asslamo Allaikum,

I LOVE the English; its beautiful

I love listening to it for the language of it; its awesome.

apocalypse77

I personally have 2 diff translations..1 is the shakespherean english and the other is te simpler english..the simpler english helps me to grasp the meaning more while the shakesperean one helps me "get me into the mood of the poetic language" of the quran, although i know it may not coem as close as the original/arabic one

ibnunas

but the quran

An old American Muslim lived on a farm in the mountains of eastern
> Kentucky with his young grandson. Each morning*!*!Grandpa was up early
> sitting at the kitchen table reading his Qur'an.*!*!His grandson wanted to
> be just like him and tried to imitate him in every way he could.
>*!*!
> One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa, I try to read the Qur'an just like
> you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon
> as I close the book. What good does*!*!reading the Qur'an do?"
>*!*!
> The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and replied,
> "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of
> water."
>*!*!
> The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked*!*!out before he got
> back to the house.The grandfather laughed and said, "You'll have to move a
> little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket
> to try again.
>*!*!
> This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he
> returned home. Out of*!*!breath, he told his grandfather that it was
> impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket
> instead.
>*!*!
> The old man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a basket of
> water. You're just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door*!*!to
> watch the boy try again.
>*!*!
> At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his
> grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak
> out before he got back to the house.
>*!*!
> The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he
> reached his grandfather the basket was again empty.
>*!*!
> Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!"
>*!*!
> "So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the basket."
>*!*!
> The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the
> basket was different. It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket
> and was now clean, inside and out.
>*!*!
> "Son, that's what happens when you read the Qur'an. You might not
> understand or remember everything, but when you read it, you will be
> changed, inside and out. That is the work of Allah in our lives
insya'allah you will love reciting it

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum,

Brother Ibnunas, What a wonderful story it is, MashaAllah. Very much relevant to the current topic.

JazakAllah.

Wassalaam,
VE

bashaar

from what i noticed people seem to grasp on different meanings in the qura'n in other words what you might understand someone else wouldn't from personal experience i started to understand everything very clearly if you think of all humanity and keep a very open mind and youll be surprised what you will find a simple example is men are allowed 4 wives from a narrow minded point of you this might seem strange but if you think of it from the whole human race point of you youll relize that there are more women on earth than men now i am not sure now if that is better for the men or the women eheheh most likely the women is the higher beneficiary anyway i hope this example will help you as you read i always like to read it and challenge my mind and god knows gl.

NaXuS

The Prophet said, "Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, the nights."

n here is the verse of Quran i believe which will make things clear for u.

[3:7] He sent down to you this scripture, containing straightforward verses - which constitute the essence of the scripture - as well as multiple-meaning or allegorical verses. Those who harbor doubts in their hearts will pursue the multiple-meaning verses to create confusion, and to extricate a certain meaning. None knows the true meaning thereof except GOD and those well founded in knowledge. They say, "We believe in this - all of it comes from our Lord." Only those who possess intelligence will take heed.

just follow the straightforward versus.They r the versus which ur heart clearly understands n regarding them u have no daubts wut so ever n now be happy :muslim_child: n remember me in 1 pray of urs.

lol nothing is free even if u feel it was not helpful .

KhalidalAsadullah

Al Mujahid

Achi You might want to try getting a book of tafseer. When I was a new muslim I had no idea what I was reading about but after i went to tafseer classes and read the Biography/Seerah of Muhammad:saw: things became much clearer. this is a great site
http://kalamullah.com/anwaral-awlaki.html

Anwar al Awlaki May Allah protect him and keep him stong during his time of fitnah Has a great seera of Muhammad :saw: along with many other lectures that should help you read Qu'ran.

Also, you might want to listen to more Quran.
When I hear a beautiful Surah that I really like I memorize parts of it then go learn the meaning. btw Every Surah is beautiful but some are more catchy.

KhalidalAsadullah

Al Mujahid

Also, try to focus more while reading the Qu'ran. If you just read the words with your eyes while your mind is somewhere else, you will miss out on the miracles contained in the Qu'ran.