calling all bengali cooks

fatimamiah

Assalam Aleykom everyone,
can anybody help me with some traditional bengali recipes it can be anything ranging from curry to snacks and even food for iftar time (i never no the traditional snacks to prepare). my husband and inlaws are Bengali but I myself am half english half jamaican. I have learnt from my inlaws how to cook some dises but still have problems judeging how many spoons of spices to put in. I have looked at recipes on this website but i have noticed they are different to bengali cooking eg natural yogurt in curry. any help would be most appreciated.

zarqa

hi, im not that much of a cook myself. i am wanting to learn how to cook curries etc pakistani style. there was a great website link i read on one of these pages i dont know how to post it to you but it was http/cooking with bj. you type in which nationality you wish and it has many recipes. let me know how you get on, if you have trouble finding it i will search through the threads for you.

ShaheedU

Extinct
In my experience Bengali dishes and Indian dishes tend to be similar, so i dont know if u can cook Indian food......

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
Well Indian and Bengali dishes are not similar. Dishes in india vary throughout the country. Its never the same everywhere as the people are diverse and different.
Among the bengalis the most famous dish is Fish Curry (in bengali its called MASHER ZHUL, hope you can pronounce it well ). Insha Allah Taala I will try to get some recipes.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Well Indian and Bengali dishes are not similar. Dishes in india vary throughout the country. Its never the same everywhere as the people are diverse and different.
Among the bengalis the most famous dish is Fish Curry (in bengali its called MASHER ZHUL, hope you can pronounce it well ). Insha Allah Taala I will try to get some recipes.

:salam2:

Bro your a joker..:)

:wasalam:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
^ Lol. Where are you from sister zarah? I wish bro hussain.mahammad was studying in the 'Sunshine State', and not some random place in Ukraine :p Salam alaikum.

samiha

---------
Staff member

lol... well I know this is old, don't even know why I'm bringing it back up, but really... hahaha, that "fish curry" made me laugh... :) i don't like it too much, it's ok though i guess... we say more of "Jhul" i guess, less "Z" more "Jh".

Anyway, as for spices and all that, i guess I am not quite sure. When i try out a new recipe, I always like following the directions to precision, but for our cooking? It's just, we use a lot of the same stuff, and many times I don't even know their names, just thier colors, and stuff :D bad i know :)

MY policy: *sprinkle this until it looks good* *sprinkle some of that until it looks good* *salt salt* *garlic* *... what's hulood in English??* umm.. some *tamaric?* some *cumin* some of everything and voila! It's done!

It's not that bad... trust me?! ;)

Good luck, and tell us how it turns out if you try anything!

wasalam

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
Holoodh (haldhi in hindi I guess)...its Turmeric
And ya its more of "Jh"....I love it though. And you are correct, sprinkle this and that until it looks good. I cook like that. Although I keep on tasting time to time, when I am cooking. 2 days back we cooked a bit differently. We cooked basmati rice. Then fried small pieces of mutton, and made a thick curry. Then fried eggs together with some vegetables. After these stuffs were ready we mixed rice, curry, fried items together.
Result was not that bad..it was super tasty. Spices spiced up the whole food. It was real delicious. Subhan Allah
Later some KEFIR ( I mean CURD...lol)
Healthy Tasty but high calorie food.
wa/salam

zarah

Islam
Staff member
^ Lol. Where are you from sister zarah? I wish bro hussain.mahammad was studying in the 'Sunshine State', and not some random place in Ukraine :p Salam alaikum.

Just the way you say it bro "On the other side of your computer screen." lol:)

:wasalam: