Black dresses?

hiranuma

Muslim women mostly wear black, long dresses. Why? I mean they could commit a crime and be on their merry way with it. Hell, men could wear them too if they aren't very tall and commit crimes. I don't get that. Please explain.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
What does clothing have to do with committing a crime?

Anyone could commit a crime wearing anything, let alone a dress.

It has nothing to do with it being a black dress. That's like saying wearing a pink dress makes you sugary sweet.

Not an accurate generalization.

hiranuma

Yeah but it's the animosity I'm talking about. What's the difference between two people with wearing those if they are the same height? Apart from posture, of course. And you know, it's easy to conceal something in those dresses.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Ok,...lets stop with the games...so you think a Muslim woman resembles a man because she covers up...

Are you playing with us on this post? Please don't play games with Muslims..we do not play games.

What are you trying to say? Why are you hating so much?

hiranuma

I'm not hating, I'm just curious. I just started researching Islam. I don't know nothing about your customs and such. If I don't ask questions, how will I learn? I just want logical answers to my questions. And again, I don't mean to offend people.

najbc

Muslim women mostly wear black, long dresses. Why? I mean they could commit a crime and be on their merry way with it. Hell, men could wear them too if they aren't very tall and commit crimes. I don't get that. Please explain.

Assalaam walaikum,

very funny, i am hoping your sense of humor got the best of you. i am a Muslim girl and i believe every girl has got to have thee black dress ,scarf, shoes and everything. If wearing all blacks means I might commit a crime, i am guilty as charge. This comes back to the famous saying “don’t judge a book by its cover" i have a dear non-Muslim friend everything she owns I swear is black.

p.s i was going to commit a crime, black would the last color I would wear.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Well in that case welcome.

Please understand that it came across as insulting to the sisters here. We have many threads on why women choose to cover. There are deep theological reasons. Take a moment and search the site..look under hijab.

We welcome questions and have many members with knowledge. But, we do not wish to be ridiculed.

hiranuma

Please understand I'm not trying to ridicule anyone. But my English isn't good enough it ought to be. So my questions might confuse you at first but no harm intended in them.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
What does clothing have to do with committing a crime?

Anyone could commit a crime wearing anything, let alone a dress.

It has nothing to do with it being a black dress. That's like saying wearing a pink dress makes you sugary sweet.

Not an accurate generalization.

He means, if a woman in an abaya (and i guess maybe a niqab) commits a crime, how can the police tell her apart from other women in the same dress?

hiranuma

He means, if a woman in an abaya (and i guess maybe a niqab) commits a crime, how can the police tell her apart from other women in the same dress?
This was more or less what I meant.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger

If Sister Alf2's explanation above is what you're alluding to, it could have been said better by you.

Are you talking about the face covering (niqab) as well? If so, the purpose of wearing these garments is not to commit a crime and I sincerely hope you refrain from attaching such a suspicion to them.

Muslims are commanded by God to be modest and to guard ourselves from immorality. For women, this can come in the form of concealing their bodies so as to conceal their sexuality. For most Muslim women, this means wearing clothing that conceals the entire body except the face and the hands. She does not have to cover like this in front of her husband, father and other male relatives.

However, there are some Muslim women that believe this means to cover the face as well as a woman's face can also add to her beauty. Therefore they believe in concealing that which can draw the unwanted attention of others.

It is a matter of maintaining modesty. I assure you they are not contemplating a life of crime when donning such garments.

Noor El-Huda

This is what I understood from Hiranuma's question too. Please sisters try not to go on the defensive so quickly. This question could run in the mind of many non muslims anyway, an its good that he's asked that.

Welcome to our site Hiranuma. In every society there are bad and good people. yes something like this might be possible but is very very rare, especially in our muslim societies. People who like to committ crimes will try all sorts of things, not only this, but life has to go on, just like there are possibilities and risks with everything. We cannot compromise on the way we choose to dress because of a bunch of criminals that will not stop at this anyway.

But crime committing people far away from god and this is not their usual dress code. They do not adhere to Islamic teachings of not committing crime, let alone they would adhere to the code of dress. A proper muslim woman/man would not commit a crime. They love god so act in accordance and fear god's punishment if they committ crimes.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Yeah but it's the animosity I'm talking about.

What animosity?

What's the difference between two people with wearing those if they are the same height?

The difference is that it's a garment for women. Men aren't supposed to be wearing them to begin with.

And you know, it's easy to conceal something in those dresses.

It's also easy to conceal something in a nun's habit.

It's also easy to conceal something in jeans and a tshirt.

So what does one do? Go naked?

hiranuma

Sorry, I meant anonimity. And try hiding an assault rifle in jeans and tshirt. Results won't be pretty, I'll give you that. And you said men aren't supposed to wear them. I'm not supposed to download games on university network, but I do. Men can wear them, whether they're supposed to or not.

Noor El-Huda

People cross borders hiding underneath vans.

people will try to get away with all sorts of things. That's why check points are for. Women in balck or niqab or (men hiding in women's clothes) do get searched too. By female officers.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
I really seemed to have missed something ..like.. the Crime of the Century? Committed by Males in Black Dresses concealing assault rifles and to top it off, having gotten away with everything due to failure to be identified.

I would have thought such a story wouldn't have escaped Fox News, at least?

Noor El-Huda

Right! (to males though!)

Hope that clarified matter a bit. Do look up threads about why muslim women dress the way they do. It would clarify things further.

Hope you benefit with us here and feel free to ask more questions.