Serious Fruitful Christian-Muslim Dialogues

Hello everyone, Peace Be With You, I am a Christian brother in humanity and I am not person who drinks alcohol or eats pork and not a Al-Mushrikûn (Polytheist), that is Catholicism, also believe in believe in Monotheism

I came on here because I have a question and I have known muslims for 10 years now of diverse backgrounds. I have engaged with Non-Muslim and Muslim guys and girls from countries like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Pakistan, Egypt, Palestinian, Israel, Algerian, Nigeria, Iran, Libya, Oman, Afghanistan etc...

I am a devout Christian and I read a lot of my bible and other religions. I can confirm I have read the Qur'an and I do like to read it often too and including the Hadith, Tafsir and other sources. When it comes to talking to Non-Christians like the muslims, I do love hearing what they have to say and some of the people I do meet often have a scripted and memorised answer and feel that many are trained to say that and have been misguided. On certain occasions, myself or another friend will talk to them and they are very open and honest.

What I do not do if a muslim does not have the answers, I don't make things difficult and I do encourage muslims to read their sources and also look at both sides (Bible & Qur'an) which the Qur'an itself tells people to do.

What I want some of you to tell me on here is what kind of method do you have when it comes to speaking to a Christian or someone who has no faith? I once speent an hour talking to a muslim and it was very interesting. Some muslims know Arabic and some don't which I understand, the languages many know is usually Urdu and English and certain days an Arabic speaker usually appears.

I will engage with anyone as long as we can have a good dialogue and respect one another and encourage interfaith dialogue. Some people my friends know who are muslims sadly have a prideful heart and move the goalpost and avoid answering correctly and they follow certain book authors and shiekhs who mislead muslims.

I think it is okay to agree to disagree as long as discussions have been enjoyable and lots have been spoken about and allowed each other to have a say on certain topics.

I would be interested to read your feedback from both Muslim and Non-muslim.. God Bless You all.

Last edited:

Abu Juwairiya

Dear Brother,

I have only just seen this thread so my apologies for not replying earlier. I am also sorry no one else has replied.

As to engagement between our two religions. The Qur'an says for us to come to common terms between ourselves. In this manner we can find themes of interest where we can have shared interests to seek common ground and values to promote virtue, enjoin goodness and also repel evil and threats to universal morality. This may all sound very positive and praiseworthy, but to a secular theorist and complex world how can it be interpreted and translated to regular every day issues. Allow me to explain.

In some areas of the US several years ago, a team of Muslim doctors decided to look for the most depressed sections of their city where the poorest of people could not afford medicine, had high rates of malnutrition and crime was rife. They opened a free clinic and once given correct prescriptions gave away medicine to relevant patients. The clinic was operated at first by Muslims and for everyone regardless of colour, creed or anything else.

In some parts of Canada, a group of Muslim economists opened a 'savings bank' (my own term as I do not know the name of the institution), the bank at first was open to Muslims only, but was later extended to everyone who wished to join. Its objective was clear. Each neighbourhood that opted to work with the bank would be assessed and every person in that area who also accepted to join would be asked to contribute a sum of money monthly to a financial scheme based on their salary. Anyone who then wished to buy a house without resorting to interest based loans to obtain it could apply for the full or partial amount and buy it outright. In this manner hundreds of people became homeowners.

In another area of the US, a group of Muslim parents came together with several local communities of Christians. Their goal was to tackle troubled crime infested streets within their backyard. After reaching an agreement with local police, they formed outreach groups and then tracked down drug gangs. The streets very quickly eliminated of all drug trafficking within months.

The above are just some examples of modern solutions to working together in an otherwise fast shrinking world. While I have mentioned Muslims initiating some of these programmes, that is only because those are then ones I am aware of . There is in all likelihood as many Christian and other religious assemblies of good people who have done similar or better acts of repute.

Abu Juwairiya

In the UK where I live, there was a law 'Section 28' which has since been abolished. I am pleased to say Christians and Muslims have amassed in large numbers across the nation to express their disapproval and voice our discontent using our freedom to disagree. What is this law that is so repellent that it had to be removed?

Section 28 was the prohibition of the promotion of homosexuality in schools. Sadly, promotion of same sex relationships is now being forced into mainstream Muslim and some Christian schools by offsted. I am not referring to Secondary schools, but primary schools. Muslim schools are being faced with the prospect of being closed down with warnings they stand that possibility if they do not teach homosexuality is normal and there is nothing wrong with it. Muslim and Christian groups are campaigning for the right that it not be included in their curriculums.

Abu Juwairiya

In the UK, some Muslim and Jewish groups have come together to stand in solidarity against the proposed partial ban on the slaughtering of animals for 'sacrificial purposes'. The ban is not due to the number of animals being killed for religious festivals or because it involves animals. It is because the methods of slaughter are seen as inhumane and also because it is unnecessary waste. Without sacrificial animals there will be no halal meat and no kosher meat, hence why the two religions have jointly united in this struggle as it affects both.

Abu Juwairiya

While I have referred to social problems and national issues that can result in alleviating real problems, I have not breached the subject of religious dialogue and the concept of real brotherhood itself. I will speak about dialogue is a separate message as I wish to first speak about brotherhood first.

The following are personal remarks and are not formulated from scriptural analysis or theological understanding.

1. Where there is one or more semblance of assault on Christianity, Muslims should stand by them. The reverse should also be applied. Examples of what I mean include any verbal attacks on Jesus, his immediate twelve disciples, Mary and many others should be met with condemnation by Muslims worldwide. Conversely the same rule should be true when things are said against the Prophet Muhammad as a form of standing side by side with one another. Those who do the deeds should be rightly seen as enemies and their products, services and anything else associated with them be boycotted.

2. Where one or more aspects of religion meet, we should seek to fortify and expand on our understanding of them and respond by closing our ranks against those who stand against us. By this I am referring to rituals, attire, beliefs, customs and traditions which we share but are presented positively in one religion and negatively in another. To cite one example, nuns wear what can be construed as attire that covers most of the body, but when Muslim women wear something similar it is anti western. In another example, some sects within the Jewish religion encourages the full face veil, however only Muslim women are singled out despite the similarities. Christians can and should understand the concept and voice their approval and support for the right of Muslim women to wear both. We know in the Bible that Paul said women should wear veils in the church. I know the interpretation and context is different, but the concept is the same.

3. Where Christians are wronged in any shape or form. Muslims should stand side by side with them in an effort to protect them and their reputation. This should exist in both Muslim majority areas of the world or places where we are a minority ourselves. To cite one example, in 1009 a leader of Muslims by the name of Hakim, severely damaged the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Muslims should be outraged at this. It means nothing to us, but the fact it means something very dear to Christians should mean a lot to us, out of our common concern for yourselves and what affects you. By the way Hakim was later either killed or disappeared, he did not long survive his monstrous action.

4. Muslims need to understand Christianity and Christians in general. There is a greater need among Muslims to not think ill of all or most Christians than the other way around.

There needs to be a distinction made between those who are genuine and sincere in both religions when they wish to speak and communicate with one another. Neither should disparage what either holds dear to them and opt to look for what can make both come closer to one another before dialogue.