Do I have to change my name

Stefana

Ok as u all know i'm Stefana {the new posting addict xD} but my name mean crowned should i adopt a muslium name cause i'm sort of leanin towards Shaharazad lol i know shes the one who told the stories of 1001 nights and since i like to write {as u obviosly know lol} thats why i picked it

Last edited:

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Ok as u all know i'm Stefana {the new posting addict xD} but my name mean crowned should i adopt a muslium name cause i'm sort of leanin towards Shaharazad Intaieshion lol i know shes the one who told the stories of 1001 nights and since i like to write {as u obviosly know lol} thats why i picked it

coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooL.... good to have you sister

Shaharazad is a beautiful name :)

Upon becoming muslim, how important is it to change your name?and what is the differance between an arabic name and a muslim name?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Names carry meanings, and every person will be influenced by (the meaning of) his name, in most cases. Man is required to call himself – or his children – by good names with good meanings, so that they will be influenced positively by their names.

Islam came to the Arabs and the non-Arabs, and it is not essential for a new Muslim to take an Arabic name, rather what is required is that he should not have a name that is ugly or carries a meaning that goes against Islam. Many Persians and Byzantines embraced Islam and kept their names, and did not change them. Indeed many of the Prophets had names that were not Arabic because they were not Arabs.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: Does a person who becomes Muslim have to change his name like George or Joseph etc?

He replied:

He does not have to change his name unless it is a name that reflects servitude to someone or something other than Allaah, but it is good to change his name to something better. So if he changes his name from a foreign name to an Islamic name, that is good, but as to whether it is obligatory, no it is not.

But if his name was ‘Abd al-Maseeh [= “slave of the Messiah”, a name common among Arab Christians; a similar name in English cultures would be “Christopher” -- Translator] or something of that nature, then he should change it, but if the name does not imply servitude to anything or anyone other than Allaah, such as George and Paul, etc., then he does not have to change it, because these names are shared by Christians and others. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 4/404.

See also the answer to Question no. 14622.
SOURCE: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/23273/name change

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2:

It is really up to you sister. I didn't realize that Stefana meant "crowned" so maybe this would be worth changing. My name, Catherine, means "pure and clean" and this I liked so I kept it and added "Iman" which means "faith" in arabic when I made Shahada.

Good to be in touch and may Allah bless you for your efforts. Please read the brother's reply above, it is most informative :)

:wasalam:

Phoyage

I like my name (Not talking about the one in TTI, But the same goes for it too)
It is unique and has a meaning that is soo like my personality.
Pick a name that you think you would want to have to best effect on your personality.
It is not obligatory to have a Muslim name.
But it is nice to be different.
If you want close to the same meaning of your name how about:
Malikaa
It means queen in Arabic.
But if you pronounce it different it becomes.
Maalik
Which means angel.
And if you pronunce a bit different it becomes.
Malik
Which means a king,male name.
Make sure of the pronuncation.

This is if you want a name that is close to stefana

Shaharazad Intaieshion
But what does it mean?

Stefana

The name Shaharazad is after the woman who told stories to the King in the book 1001 Nights. Intaieshion is actully somethin I came up with on my own so I will add meaning to it pehaps qualities of my self........I Got IT! Intaieshion means brave,strong,cuning,decisive,beautiful warrior, and corageous

Shaharazad was creative with her stories and wise in the way of fooling the king and very lucky. so the name stands 4 creativity , wisdom , and luck

Salem9022

If you are asking me then I don't know, but many iranian girls are named this regardless of the religion, there were some Iranian girls in my high school named sharazad but they were christian.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Um Scherezade is a beautiful name but I hope you know it's not an Islamic one. It's a Persian name that was given to the infamous storyteller in One Thousand and One Nights and the name literally means "she who is free in the city". Therefore, it's just a regular name that can be applied to anyone of any religion. So I recommend that if you want an Islamic name you pick one that has REAL meaning in Islam because this one lacks significant Islamic meaning and the only connection it has to Islam is that it was the name of a Muslim character.

khalidvaltrans

i don't know what dos sharazad mean but heard that allwais keep naame of Salheens {Righteous} cose there are lot of barakat of these names.:SMILY252: Allahualam.

Turk Gumption

Selamun Aleykum

My favourite girl name is Maryam

As many of you knows Maryam (Mary the Mother of Jesus - Peace be upon them all) mentioned in the Koran many times..

Hazrati Maryam (Aleyhissalam) was unique, in that she gave birth to a son by a special miracle, without the intervention of the customary physical means. This of course does not mean that she was more than human, any more than her son was more than inhuman. She had as much need to pray to Almighty Allah as anyone else.

She grew up under Allah's special protection. Her sustenance came from Allah, and her upbringing was indeed a pure one. She also grew up in a very pious religious environment, always remaining busy in the worship of her Creator Almighty Allah.

Salams..

jennie19710

Changing to new name?

Salaam aleikum all,

Jennifer is my family given name, a Christian name, and I would like to know when would I need to change my name. Do I wait until I make my public shahada at the local masjid soon? , ( when I can visit there, inshallah), or anytime now?
I made my shahada privately here at home, by myself, last summer. There are so many beautiful names out there, I wouldn't know which one to choose, to speak honestly !! Any advice is appreciated !

tabaria

Like another post suggested you don't need to change your name unless it means something bad.

If your name means crown I don't think their is anything wrong with that. I see a lot of arabic names that are of the same theme, Amir(prince) Amira(princess), Malik (King) etc.

Just because a name is Arabic doesn't mean its a religious oriented name.

:wasalam:

rtbour

american muslima
You don't have to change your name. I didnt change mine. My name is Robin, and I dont know what it means, and dont care. My parents chose this name for me, so I will keep it. Your name doesn't say anything about you. Your personality does. If you want to change your name, do it. If you don't really want to change it, then dont. The name you have now is very pretty.

Stefana

The name Shaharazad is after the woman who told stories to the King in the book 1001 Night

Shaharazad was creative with her stories and wise in the way of fooling the king and very lucky. so the name stands 4 creativity , wisdom , and luck