Help

yanna

Assalamualaikum brothers and sisters

I need some clarification regarding this matter.
Recently, a colleague of mine (a non-muslim) asked me if I ever heard of a saying that goes something like this :"If Mohammed (pbuh) doesn't go to the mountain, the mountain will come to Mohammed (pbuh)".
I ever heard this statement before in an american drama on tv (long time ago). At that time I was puzzle as why it is said but no question asked.
My question now, is there such phrase? or is it that people just making fun of our Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w) ?
I like to know the meaning of this phrase too.
Thank you.

:wasalam:
Allah knows best

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

This is what I found in the Dictionary of Phrase and Fable:

If the mountain will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet must go to the mountain. If what I seek will not come to me without my stir, I must exert myself to obtain it; if we cannot do as we wish, we must do as we can. When Mahomet first announced his system, the Arabs demanded supernatural proofs of his commission. “Moses and Jesus,” said they, “wrought miracles in testimony of their divine authority; and if thou art indeed the prophet of God, do so likewise.” To this Mahomet replied, “It would be tempting God to do so, and bring down His anger, as in the case of Pharaoh.” Not satisfied with this answer, he commanded Mount Safa to come to him, and when it stirred not at his bidding, exclaimed, “God is merciful. Had it obeyed my words, it would have fallen on us to our destruction. I will therefore go to the mountain, and thank God that He has had mercy on a stiffnecked generation.”

Source: http://www.bartleby.com/81/11741.html

Now, the above story is obviously a fabrication. God Almighty did indeed aid His Messenger with miracles, the greatest of which is the Qur'an. There were other miracles as well.

Please read the following:

God has said in the Quran:

"And if you are in doubt about what We have revealed (the Quran) to Our worshiper (Muhammad ), then produce a chapter like it, and call your witnesses (supporters and helpers) besides God if you are truthful. And if you do not do it, and you can never do it, then fear the Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones. It has been prepared for disbelievers. And give good news (O Muhammad) to those who believe and do good deeds, that for them are gardens (Paradise) in which rivers flow.... " (Quran, 2:23-25)

Ever since the Quran was revealed, fourteen centuries ago, no one has been able to produce a single chapter like the chapters of the Quran in their beauty, eloquence, splendor, wise legislation, true information, true prophecy, and other perfect attributes. Also, note that the smallest chapter in the Quran (Chapter 108) is only ten words, yet no one has ever been able to meet this challenge, then or today.1 Some of the disbelieving Arabs who were enemies of the Prophet Muhammad tried to meet this challenge to prove that Muhammad was not a true prophet, but they failed to do so.2 This failure was despite the fact that the Quran was revealed in their own language and dialect and that the Arabs at the time of Muhammad were a very eloquent people who used to compose beautiful and excellent poetry, still read and appreciated today.

Source: http://www.islam-guide.com/frm-ch1-2.htm

Please visit the following website to read about other miracles:

http://www.islam-guide.com/

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

yanna

Thank you brother, Muhammad Shaikh. I think this is what that colleague of mine trying to tell me when she quote this phrase.

yanna

Thanks Bluegazer. I'll definitely will refer her to the link that you have provided. Thank you so much.