4 Major Imams view of Sufism

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

By sufism they meant true sufism - following Quran and Sunnah

Imam Abu Hanifa:"If it were not for two years, I would have perished." He said, "for two years I accompanied Sayyidina Ja'far as-Sadiq and I acquired the spiritual knowledge that made me a gnostic in the Way." [Ad-Durr al-Mukhtar, vol 1. p. 43]

Imam Malik: "whoever studies Jurisprudence (tafaqaha) and didn't study Sufism [tasawwafa] will be corrupted; and whoever studied Sufism and didn't study Jurisprudence will become a heretic; and whoever combined both will be reach the Truth." [the scholar'Ali al-Adawi , vol. 2, p 195.)

Imam Shafi'i:"I accompanied the Sufi people and I received from them three knowledges: ... how to speak; .. how to treat people with leniency and a soft heart... and they... guided me in the ways of Sufism." [Kashf al-Khafa, 'Ajluni, vol. 1, p 341.]

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal: "O my son, you have to sit with the People of Sufism, because they are like a fountain of knowledge and they keep the Remembrance of Allah in their hearts. they are the ascetics and they have the most spiritual power." [Tanwir al-Qulub p. 405]

Abdullah ibn Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab:
"My father Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab and I do not deny or criticize the science of Sufism, but on the contrary we support it, because it purifies the external and the internal of the hidden sins, which are related to the heart and to the outward form. Even though the individual might externally be on the right way, internally he might be on the wrong way. Sufism is necessary to correct it." [ad-Dia'at mukathaffa did ash-Shaykh Ibn Abdul Wahhab,p.85 ]

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Off the top of my head I can tell you the one of Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal is a complete fabrication..because he authored *entire books* criticizing and condemning the Sufi ideology...

I have read multiple fatwas refuting these "collected sayings" but they're all in Arabic and they all agree on one thing..*none* of the 4 Imams (rahimahom Allah) made such statements...

If you wish akhi..I can perhaps provide you links (even if they're in Arabic) about them...otherwise you can deal with the thread material you quoted with your discretion

:wasalam:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

sister a_muslimah86, have you come across similar fatwas that refute the allegation of 'Shaykh Ibn Taymiyyah' and 'sufism' ?

galadari

Off the top of my head I can tell you the one of Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal is a complete fabrication..because he authored *entire books* criticizing and condemning the Sufi ideology...

I have read multiple fatwas refuting these "collected sayings" but they're all in Arabic and they all agree on one thing..*none* of the 4 Imams (rahimahom Allah) made such statements...

If you wish akhi..I can perhaps provide you links (even if they're in Arabic) about them...otherwise you can deal with the thread material you quoted with your discretion

Sister muslimah86 you are very much right... i have read the bigraphy of Imam hanafi and shafi (rahimahullah) and as far as i have understood they have all condemed those who bring innovations (good or bad what ever they call it). In fact if we read their biography we can see that the imams (may peace be upon them all) have gone further, speaking against the ruler of their times who were acting against the teachings of islam.

Jazakallah khair...

ottomana

Assalamu alaikum,

I wanna raise a question.

Was prophet (pbuh) a Sufist?

Were the four Imams Sufis?

Or were they clearly muslims and they followed Quran and Sunnah and they didnt need to be branded with an extra name.

Just always happened for all prophets' calls. The message is corrupted by some ways and with many bid'ahs and shown them good by Satan.

May Allah give them mind and understanding. May Allah keep us and all people safe from these deviated beliefs. (I say these excluding the moderate people who has the right Aqeedah and inclined to smtng called like Sufism)

We only need one word to identify ourselves just like the sahabah...I am a Muslim nothing more..

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
There are numerous (sufi) sites which attribute such statements to scholars of Qur'aan wa Sunnah like the ones posted, brother ahmed_indian needs to post a source of where he took these quotes from.

And sufi's like to interchange the word 'sufi' for words which do not mean the same thing..like you say to a sufi 'tazkiyyah?' and they roll their eyes and say 'same as Sufism!' when its not. So I wouldnt be surprised if these quotes were based on true statements but adapted to suit the sufi agenda.

wa-alaykum salaam.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

sister a_muslimah86, have you come across similar fatwas that refute the allegation of 'Shaykh Ibn Taymiyyah' and 'sufism' ?

If by your statement you mean the false Sufi claim that Shaikh Al-Islam was a Sufi or agreed to their ideologies...then I'll tell you that that's another falsehood put upon the shaikh...because he (ra) like Imam Ahmad (for example)..has authored numerous books not only refuting the deviations of Shias..Jahamis..'Asha'aris and so on..but also those of Christians and Jews!

So how can a men then agree to those he refutes?..when that man is in the fiqh of Shaikh Al-Islam?!

One only needs to read into the lives of the 4 Imams and great scholars like Ibn Taymiyah (rahimahom Allah 'ajmaee'en) to know that they are were men who walked the paths of tawheed under the shade of the Qura'an and the Sunnah and *nothing* else...

Reading fatwas refuting the claim that they support the Sufi deviations..is sought only as the bonus to hush down those yelping their claims on their deviated websites

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

There is nothing "Authentic" or "True" about these quotations, this is simple copy and paste from the websites of the innovators

The last one, the source is > [ad-Dia'at mukathaffa did ash-Shaykh Ibn Abdul Wahhab,p.85 ]
The Arabic word, "Did" means "against". This book is one written "against " the noble, honourable Shaykh of Ahlus Sunnah, the Mujadid, reviver of his time , Shakh Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahab (rahimahullah). So, this shows the bias nature of these quotations.

The Sufi "Mushrik aqeedah" laden people are never scared of fabricating stories of so-called "Miracles" and fabricating hadith and attributing them to our Prophet Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wa salam), so it is of no suprise if they fabricate things and attach them to any of the noble Salaf. infact, they have done this many times with countless stories attributed to people such as Shaykh Abdul Qadir al Jeelani Rahimahullah.

In the old days, the Salaf used to talk about Dhikr, purification everything. That the Sufis are closer by doing Dhikr and so forth is nonsense.

ISlam is complete, Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah is moderate, we practice everything from Dhikr and purification of the heart through to Ibadah.

The people who were so called "sufi" are not the sufi of today. Those were ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah that were well known for their abstination from worldly affairs and for seeking closeness to Allah by doing superogatory deeds and doing authenticly prescribed dhikr, not the shirk ridden baseless Dhikr.

The sufis of those days, their aqeedah and manhaj was correct, they were simply very dutiful in their worship and rememberance of Allah.

It is saddening to see that there are people today who call themselves "Sufis" ascribe themselves to the people of the past, who had nothing to do with their beliefs.

People like Shaykh Abdul Qadir al Jeelani, Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Malik etc, were people of the Sunnah. They did not do Shirk, they did not Bid'ah, they did not celebrate things like the Mawlid, nor did they dance around doing "dhikr", nor did they ask help from the dead, nor did they do any of the other bid'ah that those "Sufi" today call people to.

They were ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah, Ahlul Hadith, Salafi. They followed whatever was from the Qur'an and the Sunnah, they were strictly against any shirk or innovation. They did not break Bid'ah into categories of Good Bid'ah or Bad Bid'ah.

The emnity in the last 200 years against Shaykh Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahab (rahimahullah) is clear enough. The enemies of Islam joined up with the British in India to speak against the noble scholars and to stop the revival of Islam.

The Truth is Very Clear

The Prophet Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wa salam) said,
“I have left you upon clear proofs, its night is like its day, and no one deviates from it except one who is destroyed, and whoever lives (long) from amongst you will see great controversy. So stick to what you know from my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly-guided Khaleefahs - cling to that with your molar teeth.” [Reported by Imaam Ahmed (4/126), Ibn Maajah (no.43), al-Haakim (1/96) and al-Baihaqee in al-Madkhal (51)]

“Indeed the people of the Book before you split into seventy-two sects. And this nation will split into seventy-three sects; seventy-two are in the Fire and one in Paradise”. And in another narration, “All are in the Fire except one.” It was asked: Who is that one? He replied, “That which I and my Companions are upon.” [Related by at-Tirmidhi (5/62) and al-Haakim (1/128)]

Ibn Mas’oud (radhiyallahu anhu) said: “Allaah’s Messenger drew a line for us and then said, “This is Allaah’s Path.” Then he drew lines to its right and its left, and said “These are different paths, upon each of them there is a Shaytaan (devil) calling to it”. Then he recited the verse “And Verily this is My Path, so follow it, and do not follow other paths for they will separate you away from His Path.” [Soorah al-An’aam, 6: 153]

Imaam ash-Shaafi'ie (d. 204H) (rahimahullah) said that: "A person meets Allaah with every sin except Shirk is better than meeting Him upon any one of the innovated beliefs." [Reported by al-Bayhaqee in al-I'tiqaad p.158]

There is little point talking about labels and names i.e "sufi" etc. We should look at the beliefs themselves.

The Aqeedah of the true Islam, is clear, it can be found in the well-known Books of the Salaf, Imaam Laikaai wrote a famous book many centuries ago, called "Sharh I'tiqaad Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama'ah", in which he wrote the Aqeedah beliefs of the major Imams and Scholars of the past, such as Imam Bukhari, Imam Ahmad etc

Here is a partial listing of some of the books of the Salaf to do with Aqeedah. So, this is also a refutation of those who lie and say that Imam Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahab (rahimahullah) or Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah).

Sharh Usool al-I'tiqaad Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah, Imaam Abu al-Qaasim al-Laalikaa'ee
Karamaat al-Awliyaa’, Imaam Abu al-Qaasim al-Laalikaa'ee
Usul as-Sunnah, Ahmad bin Hanbal
ar-Radd ‘alaa al-Jahmiyyah wa az-Zanaadiqah, Ahmad bin Hanbal
al-Ibaanah 'an Usool ad-Diyyaanah, Abu al-Hasan al-Ash'aree
al-Maqaalaat al-Islamiyyeen wa-Ikhtilaaf al-Musalleen, Abu al-Hasan al-Ash'aree
Damm al-Kalam wa Ahlih, Abu Isma’eel Abdallaah al-Ansaari
al-Arba’een fi Dalaa’il al-Tawheed, Abu Isma’eel Abdallaah al-Ansaari
al-Lum’at al-I’tiqad ila Hadi al-Sabil al-Rashaad, Ibn Qudaamah
Ithbaat Sifaat al-‘Uluww, Ibn Qudaamah
al-Asmaa' was-Sifaat, Imaam al-Bayhaqi
Khalq af'aal al-'Ibaad, Imaam al-Bukhaaree
al-Kalaam 'alas-Sifaat, al-Khateeb al-Baghdaadee
'Aqeedatus-Salaf wa Ashaab al-Hadeeth, Abu 'Uthmaan as-Saabunee
al-Ashaa’ira fi mizaan Ahlus-Sunnah, Faysal bin Qizaaz al-Jaasim
Mawqif Ibn Taymiyyah min al-Ashaa’irah, ‘Abdur Rahmaan Bin Saalih Al-Mahmood
at-Tis’eeniyyah, Ibn Taymiyyah
Sharh as-Sunnah, al-Barbahaari
ar-Radd ‘alaa man Yaqul al-Qur’aan Makhluq, al-Najjaad
I’tiqaad A’immat Ahl al-Hadeeth, Abu Bakr al-Isma’ili
al-Hujjah fi Bayaan al-Mahajjah wa Sharh ‘Aqeedat Ahl al-Sunnah, Abu al-Qaasim al-Taymi al-Isbahaani
al-Nahy ‘an Sabb al-Ashaab wa maa fih min al-Ithm wa al-‘Iqaab, Diya al-Din al-Maqdisi
Ithbaat al-Yadd Allaah subhaanah, al-Dhahabi
al-Ibtaal al-Ta’weelaat li Akhbaar as-Sifaat, Abu Ya’la bin al-Farraa’
al-Athaar al-Waaridaat ‘an A’immat as-Sunnah fi Abwaab al-I’tiqaad min Kitaab Siyar A’laam al-Nubalaa’ lil-Imaam al-Dhahabi, Jamaal bin Ahmad bin Bashir Badi
Kitaab as-Sunnah, Abdullaah bin Ahmad bin Hanbal

Here are some issues of Aqeedah:

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Allah is Above the Throne - From the Scholars[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Imam adh-Dhahabee – rahimahullaah – said, “Whoever you ask, “Where is Allah? Then his quick and natural answer will be, above the heavens. There are two points in this Hadeeth, firstly the asking by the Muslim, “Where is Allah?” Secondly the answer of the person questioned, “Above the heavens.” Whoever rejects these two points is rejecting the Prophet (salAllahu ‘alayhi was-Sallam)” (‘Kitaab al-Uluww’ (p.101)).[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Imam adh-Dhahabee – rahimahullaah – narrates from Abdullah ibn Umar (radi-Allahu ‘anhu), “Allah created four things with his hands, the Throne, Pen, Adam and Paradise, then for the rest of the creation he said “Be” and it became” (Ibn Jareer in his ‘Tafseer’ (23/185), Daarimee in ‘Radd Alal Mareesee’ (p.90), Baihaaqee in ‘Asmaa Was-Sifaat’ (p.233)).[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
    [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Imam Abu Sa’eed Uthmaan ad-Daarimee – rahimahullaah – says, “Then the Scholars before us and after us all have Ijmaa (consensus), that when we seek help from Allah or when we call him, we raise and spread our hands towards the sky and our sight is also upwards. We do not call upon him by looking below us in the earth, behind or in front, to the right or the left. We concentrate towards the sky, because everyone knows that Allah is above them, and everyone who prays says in prostration, “Praise be to Allah the Most High” (‘Radd Alal Jahmiyyah’ (p.20)).
    [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sufyaan ath-Thawree was asked about the verse, “and He is with you wheresoever you are”. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He said, ‘His Knowledge’ (Bukhaaree’s, ‘Khalq Af’aal Ebaad’).
    [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Muhammad bin Yusuf said (one of the teachers of Bukhaaree), ‘the one who says that Allah is not over His Throne is a kaafir. And the one who thinks that Allah did not speak to Moses is a kaafir’ (Bukhari’s, ‘Khalq Af’aal Ebaad’).
    Qatada (the famous student of ibn ‘Abbaas radi Allahu anhu) said about His saying,
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“and He is Allah in the Heaven and in the Earth” - ‘the One Who is worshipped in the heaven and in the earth’”[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] (Bukhaaree’s, ‘Khalq Af’aal Ebaad’).
    [/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Imam ibn Khuzaimah said, “Whoever does not acknowledge that Allah is above His ‘Arsh, above His seven heavens, and that He is separated from His creatures, is a Kafir, (unbeliever). Such person must be ordered to repent and disavow his belief, or else he must be beheaded and thrown on a garbage dump so that neither Ahlul-Qiblah (the Muslims) nor Ahludth-dthimmah (non-Muslims living in Muslim lands) be annoyed by the foul odor of his carcass.”
    [/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And Fir’aun (Pharaoh) said: “O Hâmân! Build me a tower that I may arrive at the ways, The ways of the heavens, and I may look upon the Ilâh (God) of Mûsa (Moses) but verily, I think him to be a liar.”(40:37) Imam Tabarai commented on this by saying, “Fir’awn’s saying that ‘I think him to be a liar’ i.e. he is saying that I think Musa is a liar when he says and claims that his God is above the sky, Who sent him (Musa) to us” (Tafseer Al-Tabari)[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Allah is Above the Throne - From Sahabah and the 4 Madhhabs[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sahabah[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]In his speech subsequent to the death of the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa salam), Abu Bakr as-Saddiq said: “He who was worshipping Muhammad ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]), (let him know that) Muhammad ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) is dead, and he who was worshipping Allah, (let him know that) Allah is above the heaven Ever-Living, never dies’” (Bukhari).[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Imaam adh-Dhahabee (rh) narrates from Ibn Abbaas (ra), “Before creating the creation, Allah was above his Throne. Then he created the Pen, and it wrote everything that would happen up until the Day of Judgement” (Bayhaqi in ‘Asmaa Was-Sifaat).[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Four Madhaahib (Sunni Schools of Legal Jurisprudence)[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Imaam Ahmad ibn Hanbal (rh) was asked, ‘Allah is above the seventh heaven, above His Throne, distinct from his creation, and His Power and Knowledge are in every place?’ And he replied, ‘Yes, above the Throne and His Knowledge is in every place’ (‘Sharh Usul I’tiqaad Ahlus Sunnah’ of al-Laalikaaee (d.414AH)).
    [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Imaam Maalik (rh) said, “Allah is Above the heaven, and His knowledge is in every place, nothing is hidden from Him.” [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](‘Sharh Usul I’tiqaad Ahlus Sunnah’ of al-Laalikaaee (d.414AH)).
    [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Abu Haneefah (rh) said, when asked of his opinion of the one who says, ‘I do not know whether Allah is above the heavens or on the earth.’ - “He has disbelieved, because Allah says, “The Most Merciful rose above the Throne,” and His Throne is above His seven heavens.’ He was then asked , ‘what if he said that Allah is above His Throne but he does not know whether the Throne is in the heavens or on the earth?’ He said, ‘He has disbelieved, because He has denied that He is above the heavens, And whosoever denied that He is above the heavens has disbelieved.” (‘Sharh Usul I’tiqaad Ahlus Sunnah’ of al-Laalikaaee (d.414AH), ‘al-Uluww’ of adh- Dhahabee, also ‘Sharh Aqueedah at-Tahaawiyyah’ of ibn Abee al-Izz al-Hanafee).[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
    [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Abu Haneefah said, “And Allah the Exalted is called upon upwards, and not downwards, because [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]downwards is not a quality of Ruboobiyyah (Lordship) and Uloohiyyah (Divinity) in anything[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]” (al-Fiqh ul-Asbat).
    [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A woman asked Abu Haneefah, “Where is your Lord whom you worship” So he said, “Verily Allah the Exalted is above the sky (fis-samaa`), not in the earth.” So a man said to him, `Have you seen the statement of Allah the Exalted, “And He is with you.” (57:4) He said, “He is as you are when you write to a man, `Verily I am with you,’ whilst you are absent from him” (al-Asmaa was-Sifaat).
    [/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And Aboo Nu’aym relates from Ja’far Ibn ‘Abdullaah who said, `We were with Maalik Ibn Anas, so a man came, so he said, “O Abaa ‘Abdullaah, “The Most Merciful has ascended above His Throne,” (20:5) How has He ascended?’ So anger came over Maalik, such that no affair like this had ever caused to come over him. So he looked towards the earth and scratched with his cane in his hand, until he raised his hand and wiped the sweat from his forehead, tossed the cane aside, and said, ‘The modality (kayf of it cannot be comprehended by the intellect, and al-istiwaa’ (ascent) is not unknown, and having faith in it is obligatory, and the question concerning it is an innovation. And I think that you are a person of innovation,’ and he commanded him to leave.” Ibn Hajar said in Fathul Baaree (commentary of Sahih al-Bukhari) (13/406- 407) that its isnaad (chain of narrators) is hasan (good). And it was authenticated by adh-Dhahabee in al-Uluww (p. 103).[/FONT]

Allah is Above the Throne – from the Sunnah

1. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It is narrated from Abu Hurairah (ra) that the Messenger of Allah ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) said, “Two groups of angels come to you, one group in the night and one group in the day, they gather at the times of Fajr and Asr. The ones who spent the night [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]rise to Allah[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] and Allah asks them whilst he knows fully aware, “How did you leave my slaves.” The angels reply, “They were praying when we reached them and they were still praying when we left them.” (Humaam ibn Munabeh in ‘Saheehfah as-Saadiqah’ (p.89), Ahmad in his ‘Musnad’, Ibn Khuzaimah in ‘Kitaab at-Tawheed’ (p.78) Uthmaan Daarimee in ‘Radd Alal-Jahmiyyah’ (p.30))[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Imaam adh-Dhahabee (rh) narrates from Abu Hurairah (ra), the Messenger of Allah ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) said that Allah will say, “For the reason of my might, where are the people who love each other, today I will give them [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the shade of my Throne[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]. Where there is no shade apart from my shade” (Hadeeth Mutawaatir). This establishes that the Throne is in fact real, and not something ‘metaphorical.’[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Abdullah bin Amr reported that the Prophet ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] said: “Be merciful to those on earth, so that [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the One above the heavens[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] will be merciful to you” (Bukhari/Muslim).[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Zaynab (ra), the wife of the Prophet ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]), used to claim excellence over the rest of his wives by telling them, “It is only your parents who gave you in marriage to the Prophet ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]), while it is Allah Who gave me in marriage to him [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]from above the seven heavens[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]” (Bukhari).[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Narrated Abu Huraira, “I heard Allah’s Apostle ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) saying, Allah divided Mercy into one-hundred parts and He kept its ninety-nine parts with Him and [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]sent down[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] its one part on the earth, and because of that, its one single part, His creations are Merciful to each other, so that even the mare lifts up its hoofs away from its baby animal, lest it should trample on it” (Bukhari).[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jabir ibn Abdullah said, “The Messenger of Allah ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) said in his speech on the day of Arafah, ‘Did I convey (the message)?’ They said, ‘Yes.’ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]While raising his finger to the sky[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] and then pointing at them, he said, ‘O my Lord, be a witness.’” [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][Muslim][/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Abu Sa’eed said that the Messenger of Allah ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) said, “Do you not trust me when I am trusted by [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Him Who is above the heavens[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]? [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Revelation comes to me day and night.” (Bukhari/Muslim)[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Abu Musa al-Ash’ari narrated that the Messenger said ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]), “Allah does not sleep and he ought not to. He [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]descends the Qist (justice) and raises it up[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]. Deeds of the night are [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ascended to Him[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] before the day. His veil is Light, if He unveils it, the light of His Face will burn everything that sight reaches” (Muslim).[/FONT]
  9. ‘[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Abdullah. Ibn ‘Abbas reported: A person from the Ansar who was amongst the Companions of Allah’s Messenger ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] reported to me: As we were sitting during the night with Allah’s Messenger ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]), a falling star gave a dazzling light. Allah’s Messenger ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) said: What did you say in the pre-Islamic days when there was such a shot (of meteor)? They said: Allah and His Messenger know best (the actual position), but we, however, used to say that that very night a great man had been born and a great man had died, whereupon Allah’s Messenger ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] said: (These falling stars) are shot neither at the death of anyone nor on the birth of anyone. Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, issues Command when He decides to do a thing. Then (the Angels) supporting the Throne sing His glory, then sing the dwellers of heaven who are near to them until this glory of God reaches them who are in the heaven of this world. Then those who are near the supporters of the Throne ask these supporters of the Throne: What your Lord has said? And they accordingly inform them what He says. Then the dwellers of heaven seek information from them until this information reaches the heaven of the world. In this process of transmission (the jinn snatches) what he manages to overhear and he carries it to his friends. And when the Angels see the jinn they attack them with meteors. If they narrate only which they manage to snatch that is correct but they alloy it with lies and make additions to it (Muslim).[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Narrated Salman al-Farsi: The Prophet ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) said: Your Lord is munificent and generous, and is shy to turn away empty the hands of His servant when he [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]raises them to Him[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] (Abu Dawud).[/FONT]
  11. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Mu’awiyah as-Sahmi reported: “I had some sheep which I kept between Uhud and Juwaniyyah with a slave-girl to look after them. One day, I went out to check on my sheep and discovered that a wolf had devoured one of them. Since I am just a human, (I became angry) and struck the girl. Later on, I came to the Prophet ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) and reported to him the incident. He terrified me with the gravity of my action. I said, ‘Messenger of Allah!’ Shall I free her (as an expiation of my sin.) He said ‘Call her over.’ When I did, he asked her, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]‘Where is Allah?’ She said, ‘Above the heavens.’[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] Then he asked her, ‘Who am I?’ She said, ‘The Messenger of Allah ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]). Thereupon, the Messenger of Allah ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) ordered me, ‘Free her. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]She is a believer’” (Muslim, Abu Dawud, and others).[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It is important to remember that whatever the Prophet ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) said about the religion is the truth. Allah (swt) says in the Qur’an, Your companion has neither gone astray nor has erred. Nor does he speak of (his own) desire. It is only an Inspiration (revelation) that is inspired (revealed). (53:2-4)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The last hadith listed here is the most important. It establishes the validity and importance of not only asking the question where is Allah, but more importantly, the correct answer to it. To give any answer other than this is to oppose the Sunnah. It also shows that the Prophet ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) established that the girl was a ‘true believer’ based simply on her answer to these questions. This is because it establishes beyond a shadow of a doubt that her conception of tawheed was correct, and in opposition to the tawheed of the Arabs of jahiliyyah.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]There is another narration of a similar hadith, except the girl was unable to speak. So when he asked her where is Allah, she pointed at the heavens, and when he asked, ‘Who am I?’ she pointed at the heavens and pointed at him, indicating you are the one sent by Him.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Lastly, there is a passage from [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nudhmul Faraa’id[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] of al-Albaanee also explaining the issue,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]On the authority of Abdullah ibn ‘Amr (radi Allaahu ‘anhu), on the authority of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi was-sallam) that he said, “The Most Merciful of those who give mercy is Ar-Rahmaan – Blessed and Exalted is He. Show mercy to those on earth, and the one above the heavens will show mercy to you. And ar-Rahm (the womb) is derived from Ar-Rahmaan, so whoever keeps good relations with it, Allah keeps good relations with him, and whoever cuts it off, Allah cuts him off.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Benefit:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And he said in this hadith “fee” and its meaning here is above (a’laa), just like Allah saying “Say: travel fee (upon/in/on) the land…” [6:11]. So the hadeeth is from the many evidences about Allah – the Exalted – being above (fawq) all of the creation. And “fee” is that which al-Hafidh adh-Dhahabee utilizes in his book al-’Uluww. And indeed this is what I concluded from the summarization of it near me. And I put that down in my explanation of the introduction. And I took from it ahadeeth and athaar (narrations), and I put them above the weak reports. May Allah make it easy for it to be published. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And all praise is due to Allah.[/FONT]

Allah is Above the Throne – From Quran

1. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And (remember) when Allâh said: “O ‘Iesa (Jesus)! I will take you and [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]raise you to Myself[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] and clear you [of the forged statement that ‘Iesa (Jesus) is Allâh’s son] of those who disbelieve, and I will make those who follow you superior to those who disbelieve till the Day of Resurrection. Then you will return to Me and I will judge between you in the matters in which you used to dispute.” [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](3:55)[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And He is the Irresistible, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]above (fawq)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] His slaves, and He is the All-Wise, Well¬Acquainted with all things. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](6:18)[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]They fear [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]their Lord above them[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif], and they do what they are commanded. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](16:50)[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Whosoever desires honour, power and glory then to Allâh belong all honour, power and glory. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]To Him ascend[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] (all) the goodly words, and the righteous deeds exalt it, but those who plot evils, theirs will be severe torment. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And the plotting of such will perish. (35:10)[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]From Allâh, the Lord of the ways of ascent. The angels and the Rûh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ascend to Him[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] in a Day the measure whereof is fifty thousand years (70:3-4)[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Do you feel secure that [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He, Who is over the heaven[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] (Allâh), will not cause the earth to sink with you, then behold it shakes (as in an earthquake)? [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](67:16)[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Or do you feel secure that [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He, Who is over the heaven[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] (Allâh), will not send against you a violent whirlwind? Then you shall know how (terrible) has been My Warning? [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](67:17)[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Say (O Muhammad [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salAllahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]) Ruh-ul-Qudus [Jibrael (Gabriel)] has [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]brought it (the Qur’an) down from your Lord[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] with truth, that it may make firm and strengthen (the Faith of) those who believe and as a guidance and glad tidings to those who have submitted (to Allâh as Muslims). [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](16:102)[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Glorify the Name of your Lord, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the Most High[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] (87:1)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]These ayaat clearly indicate that Allah is the Creator, and we are the creation. The two are separate and distinct, and not the same.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Additionally, these ayaat show that Allah is the All-Knower of everything, and disposes of all affairs. His being over the Throne does not negate this. Notice how they say, for example, “They fear their Lord above them” and they do not say, “They fear their Lord beneath them,” or “around them,” or “inside them,” or “the One in no direction.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It is therefore clear from the repetition of this in the Qur’an that this is an important issue. In fact, it is the message that the Prophets all came with. This is proved by the following verse,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And Fir’aun (Pharaoh) said: “O Hâmân! Build me a tower that I may arrive at the ways, “The ways of the heavens, and I may look upon the Ilâh (God) of Mûsa (Moses) but verily, I think him to be a liar.” Thus it was made fair-seeming, in Fir’aun’s (Pharaoh) eyes, the evil of his deeds, and he was hindered from the (Right) Path, and the plot of Fir’aun (Pharaoh) led to nothing but loss and destruction (for him). (40:36-37)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It is sad, that Fir’awn understood our [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]aqeedah[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] better than the Ash’aris and [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]mutakallimoon[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif].[/FONT]

The Attribute of Istiwaa
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Mujaahid reported that [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]istiwaa[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] means He rose over it. There are 7 ayaat in the Quran that specifically mention [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]istiwaa[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]:[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Indeed your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and then He [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Istawa [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](rose over) the Throne (really in a manner that suits His Majesty). He brings the night as a cover over the day, seeking it rapidly, and (He created) the sun, the moon, the stars subjected to His Command. Surely, His is the Creation and Commandment. Blessed be Allah, the Lord of the ‘Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists)! [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](7:54)[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Who created the heavens and the earth and all that is between them in six Days. Then He [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Istawâ[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] (rose over) the Throne. The Most Beneficent (Allâh)! Ask Him (O Prophet Muhammad [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]salallahu alayhi wa salam[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]), as He is Al-Khabîr (The All-Knower of everything). [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](25:59)[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Allâh is He Who raised the heavens without any pillars that you can see. Then, He [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Istawâ[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] (rose above) the Throne. He has subjected the sun and the moon (to continue going round)! Each running (its course) for a term appointed. He regulates all affairs, explaining the Ayât (proofs, signs) in detail, (so) that you may believe with certainty in the meeting with your Lord. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](13:2)[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Surely, your Lord is Allâh Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days and then [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Istawâ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](rose over) the Throne, disposing the affair of all things. No intercessor (can plead with Him) except after His Leave. That is Allâh, your Lord; so worship Him (Alone). Then, will you not remember? [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](10:3)[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Most Beneficent (Allâh) [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Istawâ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](rose over) the (Mighty) Throne. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](20:5)[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Allâh it is He Who has created the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them in six Days. Then He [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Istawâ[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] (rose over) the Throne. You (mankind) have none, besides Him, as a Walî (protector or helper etc.) or an intercessor. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Will you not then remember (or be admonished)? (32:4)[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days and then [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Istawa[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] (rose over) the Throne (in a manner that suits His Majesty). He knows what goes into the earth and what comes forth from it, what descends from the heaven and what ascends thereto. And He is with you (by His Knowledge) wheresoever you may be. And Allah is the All-Seer of what you do. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](57:4)[/FONT]
Whether matters are to do with obeying Allah and follow the Sunnah properly, (avoiding innovations like celebrating the Prophet's birthday - or any other innovations) -- Ibaadah .. or to do with matters of Aqeedah as shown above, all matters of our Deen, are known and the way is clear for those who actually go back to the book of Allah, subhana wa ta'ala, and the Sunnah of His noble Messenger, Salallau alayhi wa salam.

alomarma

Mabsoot
I second your nice references this is the real islamic sience (Allah Said..., Quran, Profit said ....)

Masha Allah, Tabarak Allah.

May Allah increase your noor

By the way, are you sharee'ah graduate (B.S. in Shaee'ah)?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

it wont be useful for me...i dont know arabic :(

but u can close down this thread to avoid further heated debate....u've the the power
to do it.:)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
it wont be useful for me...i dont know arabic :(

but u can close down this thread to avoid further heated debate....u've the the power
to do it.:)

Alhamdulillah akhi there's no need to close down the thread...everyone is using the tone of ardent learners and supporters of correct knowledge mashallah..it would be an abuse of "my duty" (there's no such thing as power here..only duty and responsiblility) to close it...