6 imams removed from Twin Cities flight

UmmTaymiyyah

MINNEAPOLIS - Six Muslim clerics removed from a US Airways flight said Tuesday they were victims of discrimination and called for a boycott of the airline.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/ap_on_re_us/passengers_removed

The imams were removed from the flight to Phoenix on Monday night after three of them said their normal evening prayers in the terminal in Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport before boarding, said Omar Shahin, president of the North American Imams Federation. They were among the 150 imams who attended a federation meeting in Minneapolis.

"The police came and take us off the plane in front of all the passengers in a very humiliated way," said Shahin. "I never felt bad in my life like yesterday. It was the worst moment in my life when I see six imams, six leaders in this community, humiliated."

The Department of Homeland Security's Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties said in a letter Tuesday it had opened an investigation.

US Airways Group Inc. issued a statement saying it was interviewing crew members and ground workers to find out more about what happened.

"We are always concerned when passengers are inconvenienced and especially concerned when a situation occurs that causes customers to feel their dignity was compromised. We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind," the airline said.

An airport police report said the flight's captain had already decided he wanted the men off the plane after the passenger passed a flight attendant a note pointing out "Arabic men."

Witnesses said the men prayed in the terminal and made critical comments about the Iraq war, according to the police report, and a US Airways manager said three of the men had only one-way tickets and no checked baggage.

An airport police officer and a federal air marshal agreed that the combination of circumstances was suspicious, and eventually asked the men to leave the airplane, the police report said.

"There were a number of things that gave the flight crew pause," Airport spokesman Patrick Hogan said. It wasn't immediately possible to verify whether the passengers who reported suspicious activity witnessed it themselves.

But Shahin and Marwan Sadeddin, another of the imams, strongly denied doing anything out of the ordinary. They entered the aircraft individually, except for Sadeddin, who is blind and needed a guide, Shahin said. Once on the plane, the six did not sit together, he said.

Shahin said no one asked the six to leave until police arrived, when the group complied.

The other passengers on the flight, which was carrying 141 passengers and five crew members, were re-screened for boarding. The plane took off about three hours after the men were removed.

On Tuesday, US Airways refused to honor the group's tickets or allow them to buy new ones, saying their payment for Monday's flight had been refunded.

Shahin eventually booked flights on Northwest Airlines — to Phoenix for five of the imams from the Phoenix-Tempe area and to Los Angeles for the sixth, who is from Bakersfield, Calif.

Shahin said his days of praying in airports may be over. "It's terrible, unfortunately," he said. "In America we have no freedom to practice our faith, to do our faith."

Shahin expressed frustration that — despite extensive efforts by him and other Muslim leaders since even before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks — so many Americans know so little about Islam, which requires prayer five times a day.

Nihad Awad, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said he hoped the incident would "raise awareness among the general public and the airline industry that praying as a Muslim and flying as a Muslim should not trigger any fear and any prejudice."

___

Argus

Another paranoid passenger going after Muslims because they are too stupid to use common sense. If a "Muslim" (I use that term loosely since no one who commits a terroristic act against innocent people is acting Islamically), hypothetically wanted to blow up an airliner, would they maybe *NOT* pray before getting on the flight to not draw attention to what they might do next?

Personally this worries me, because I want to be ever more practicing of my faith in Allah and I wonder if I can ever find a place to pray and not be worried about being kicked off a flight like these Imams were. It was even stranger that they weren't allowed to get tickets from the same company, which implies that the company doesn't want any Muslims on their airline anyway.

ripefig

:salam2:

I had an experience somewhat similar but not as bad. I was traveling to the Caribbean to spend Eid with my family. It was only about two days before Eid and I really wanted to finish the Quran in Ramadhan. I took out my little Quran with no English and started reading. After I finished reading, the passenger next to me who was not a Muslim asked me if I saw how the air hostess was looking at me when she passed by and saw what I was reading. He seemed to be annoyed at the way she was looking at me, so I could only imagine what was going on in her mind. I told him that she should not be blamed because she is brainwashed by the media and other parts of society. What he probably saw in her glances was fear more than anything else. She does not realize that she faces more danger from a non Muslim. A true Muslim would not pose any threat to humanity period. I do not hate her for that, on the contrary I feel sorry for her that she cannot see Islaam for what it truly stands for. May Allah grant us the patience to deal with this type of prejudice. Remember my dear brothers and sisters, this life is but a struggle. May Allah give us the strength:SMILY346:

Ayep

Blessing in disguise

:salam2: bros and sisters

A lot of things are happening to Muslims around the world today. Because of this, Islamic organizations like CAIR and many others(not forgeting TTI):SMILY259: are redoubling their efforts to raise awareness about Islam. Events like 9/11 or London bombings which points falsely to Muslims as the perpetrators has made people aware of of Islam more than ever. Well there are no conclusions till today which means there are insufficient proof or evdence.

Islam has virtually reached almost every home in the world mostly through concocted lies from the media. However the viewers who are the most sincere and inquisitive will take one more step to find out about the truth about Islam. These are the people we Muslims need most and because they will be defenders of Islam once they find out the real truth.

Simply put, the more lies against Islam, the more attention Islam gets, sincere and good-willed people will discover the real truth equates to more people embracing Islam. Not just anybody but people who will go the extra mile to reseach and find out the truth behind the lies(that is quality people and not just mere followers).

Allah works in mysterious ways, they plan their plans, He plan His plans.
See America is one good example. Do not despair bros and sisters, everything is a blessing in disguise.

Allah knows best
:wasalam:

P.S read more about the life our dear Prophet and we will discover how amazing he handled the lies, deceit and hate around him thru rational and non-violent ways.

UmmTaymiyyah

Assalamu alaykum,

SubhanAllah, definitely right now the spotlight is on Islam/muslims, and we are being watched ever so carefully, the people are filled with so much misconceptions about Islam, mainly due to the media and their own ignorance, if we pray in public the people are getting uneasy, cos some of them dont know what we're doing, same with reading Qur'an, we realy need to get the real message of Islam out to the people, so that they stop getting brainwashed by the media insha Allah.
But Masha'Allah as Ayep said

Quote:Islam has virtually reached almost every home in the world mostly through concocted lies from the media. However the viewers who are the most sincere and inquisitive will take one more step to find out about the truth about Islam. These are the people we Muslims need most and because they will be defenders of Islam once they find out the real truth.

Simply put, the more lies against Islam, the more attention Islam gets, sincere and good-willed people will discover the real truth equates to more people embracing Islam. Not just anybody but people who will go the extra mile to reseach and find out the truth behind the lies(that is quality people and not just mere followers).

Allah works in mysterious ways, they plan their plans, He plan His plans.
See America is one good example. Do not despair bros and sisters, everything is a blessing in disguise.

This is so true, they dont realise how much this is making some people research Islam themselves and find out the truth about Islam, look how many people have come into Islam after events like 9/11 , cos they wanted to see for themselves what the Qur'an says about jihaad/suicide bombings etc.. and Alhamdulillah Allah guided them .

Insha Allah we need to try our best to spread the true message of Islam, and show people that Islam is a peaceful religion, and not a religion of terror/suicide bombings etc..like most think out there.
SubhanAllah i was watching a documentary the other day on youtube, and a guy was on the street asking some people the first thing that came to his mind when he said 'muslim' or islam' most of them said 'terrorist' or if he said 'terrorist' some said 'muslims', thereagain, it could have been set up for them to say that, but we do know, that alot of the people out there are thinking in this way about us, because thats all theyve heard from the tv/newspapers.

Dawoodi

one of many.

as salamu alikum w

i used to live in london were i became muslim 7 years ago, and i used to work actively in the dawah, but when the london bombings happen i was unfortunatly moving to a new flat.... so the police was call becouse i was looking suspicios and raid my place, i was moving staf to my new place at that momet when i recived a call from a flat mate, i was stonished about it and decided to stay at my new place for the rest of the day but later on they finded me on my new place ...they already had my picture and new all about me!!! so some one person insignificant as me and they had pictures of me in many places
the arrasme for two days and then let me go ... a cuple of weeks after i recived a letter from the home ofice that my visa was rebuke. so i left london and came back to my mother land. i lost everything in the prosses.

soo i dont botter about it really, as i know from the time of the prophet asaw muslims were persecuted...for me weo! its a way to became stronger on my faith and a confirmation we are on the rigth way.

even do since i became muslim, everything has gone from bad to worse when it cames to dunnia as i have lost everything...but no Allah subhanah wata'allah.

now insha'allah i want to do hira to yemen insha'allah as soon as i'm able to so i can study islam properly.

:arabi1:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
^^

Whoa Dawoodi!! That stuff is pretty crazy! Almost like a scene out a movie.

I used to live in the UK when I was a child, left when I turned 9ish. Things are a bit more peaceful in my region of the world. Well, more so than in Europe and the US.

Take care bro, Salam.

hani_machour

:SMILY206:

It is kind of sad that people in the year 2006 would not even step out of their hatred and ask themselves is this for for real. WHy do i fear them?

abuhamza

Has there been any recent developments concerning this case? Has US Air released the results of their "investigation"?

talibulislam

kufars r suffering with there own inteligence

it seem like discrimination,but it actually tells u that when human think they can save them self from danger & with there own intelligence,they suffer.
these disbelivers r suffering with there own intelligence,there kids get scared in school when some one don't speak english,they get uncomfortable if they see some one with beared or arabic script lol,thats punishment from allah u can see,insecure in there own self.just small example i always take train from connecticut to newyork on weekends,when i diden't have beared some welleducated or probably over educated white people used to see me on the seat or my middle eastern tan skin & they even skip that cart & go to next one,i used to like that cuz i wanna sleep on the whole seat so 4 me it was good lol,but imagine about there fear,that attitude also pushes me towards look like & act like muslim cuz they gona hate u or fear u anyway as long u r saying laillaillallah.now insted of sleeping i read quran,careless about my surrounding & some one who has courage sit next to me i consider is a best oppertuity 4 me to give him dawah if we get into decent discussion.