?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naquan20

when u learn about the life of the prophet muhammad(pbuh), the message of islam,and the companions of him u dont hear any thing of sunni,shia or any other ones there are. i remember koming across an ayat that says this is one ummah.......
i would like to know wat yall think of that?

salamu-alkuim

jihad

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalamu Alaykum
There isn't supposed to be any sects at all. At the time of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HF)), there were no sects. All were Sunnis (A.K.A. people who follow the Sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH&HF).

Shi'a (meaning: "Party of 'Ali")came during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr. They deemed him unworthy of Caliphate and supported instead the Caliphate of 'Ali. They declared that only the Ahl-ul-Bayt should be Caliphs. So, they were first a political sect.

I know nothing about Sufism (it's confusing from what I've heard), but Sufism had it's beginnings way after the death of the Prophet (PBUH&HF)) and the creation of Shi'a.

Then came the religious differences and the arguments and such. This is against the Qur'an, but when you say this you only hear: "They did it first!" (each sect pointing to the other).

Sunnis follow the tradition of the Prophet (PBUH&HF) (few commit Bid'ah) while Shi'ites commit Bid'ah in some places and take a different set of Hadith. Sufis commit Bid'ah and have no way around it, for there is NO Hadith/Qur'an evidence for some of the things they do (think of Sufis as Mystics, for they are).

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

At the time of the Companions there was no need to call oneself anything except a Muslim.

Here in our times however, many incorrect sects have risen even though there is only one correct way, which is upon the Quran and Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad :saw:.

Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) said:

Say: "Obey Allah and obey the Messenger, but if you turn away, he :)saw:) is only responsible for the duty placed on him (i.e. to convey Allah's Message) and you for that placed on you. If you obey him, you shall be on the right guidance. The Messenger's duty is only to convey (the message) in a clear way (i.e. to preach in a plain way)." (24:54)

"Those who follow the apostle, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the law and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,- it is they who will prosper." [Qur’aan 7:157]

"...And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam)) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is severe in punishment." [Qur’aan 59:7]

Allah has made the obedience of Rasoolullaah (saws) together with the obedience to Him:

"And obey Allah and the Messenger, that ye may obtain mercy." [Qur’aan 3:132]

As for others that are misguided and destroy and slander the name of the righteous Companions of the Prophet :saw: well, May Allah Guide them. However, we cannot accept their misguidances. It does not mean we fight them with violence, but we have a duty to explain to them the wrongness of thier beliefs, and help warn them of the dangers of such beliefs.

The Companions are all those who met the Prophet (s.a.w.) and died as Muslims. Scholars have said that they were 114,000 in number [as stated by Abu Zur'ah, the teacher of Imam Muslim, and recorded by as-Suyootee].

They are praised in many Qur'anic verses:
"You are the best of peoples ever raised for mankind, you enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." [3:110] "

And the first to embrace Islam of the Muhajiroon (the Emigrants from Makkah) and the Ansar (the citizens of Al-Madeenah who helped the Muhajiroon) and also those who followed them exactly (in Faith). Allah is well-pleased with them as they are well pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success." [9:100]

"Indeed, Allah was pleased with the believers when they gave their pledge to you (O Muhammad) under the tree. He knew what was in their hearts and He sent down calmness and tranquility upon them..." [48:18]

The best of the Ummah, after the Prophet (s.a.w.) were Abu Bakr, then 'Umar, then 'Uthman, then 'Ali.

(I had to put this... )

As far as the Caliphate is concerned, Ibn Taymeeyah has said that anyone who "objects against anyone of these regarding this order of caliphate, he will be regarded more misguided than the domestic donkey." :D

The Messenger of Allaah said: "I counsel you to have Taqwaa of Allaah and to hear and obey, even if an Abyssinian slave were to command you. For, verily, whoever amongst you lives (to grown old), he will see many differences. So stick to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided khaleefahs. Cling tightly onto it and hold onto it with your molar teeth. And beware of newly invented matters. For, indeed, every newly invented matter is an innovation, and every innovation is a thing that leads astray, and everything that leads astray is in the Hellfire." An authentic hadeeth reported by Abu Dawood and others.

You can look at this previous thread on the topic:

Fighting other Muslims

As for Shia’s and Sunni’s… well.. this question and answer has been placed many times on this website, Since I don't know much about it, I refer you to them.

Sunnis and Shi'ites

Sunni vs Shia

To Read about Shiites

Be sure to also check out:

Following the right way

To prevent further debates on this topic,

I am locking this thread.

Wassalam.

Status
Not open for further replies.