A few questions...

islamdonlyway

:salam2: hope everyone's good inshallah. I just had a few questions.

1- is cloning allowed in Islam? cloning has been orready done by scientist, and they in some ways regard it as 'playing god'. Does Islam permit it or is their any stance towards it?

2-what does Islam say about adding artificial intelligence to humans besides the biological anatomy? artificial intelligence to make humans more intelligent?

3- what does Islam say about altering the sequence of DNA for certain outcomes? scientist say this is possible. they claim this will be widespread in the future.

jazakallah.

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
Although I don't have a direct answer for any of these with some reputable source, my first knee-jerk reaction was to simply say that none of them are permissible on the grounds that all these issues are ethical hot topics even without religion in the equation. My second comment is that even if these things become "common" or "popular" in the future, I still wouldn't consider them to be correct. Sometimes an entire culture's thinking scheme just changes, but not necessarily for the better. Take gay marriage for example. If it was tried 100 years ago, the participants would have been killed instantly. But now people thinks its "okay." Just because society starts accepting it, doesn't make it any less disgusting.

I guess my advice would be to stay away from gray areas. People don't need clones, people don't need to be artificially smart and whatever ailment befalls you, Allah (SWT) knows best. Peace and have a nice day.

islamdonlyway

brother yes ethical issues will be a problem. But the fact is people will start accepting it in society, and this is even witnessed through history. Many times in history new ideas were rebuffed in the grounds of ethical concerns, but as time went on people accepted it, as they saw the benefits of it. For example, artificial intelligence is ORREADY in work even as we speak, such as a pc etc. But this is a miner form of artificial intelligence. from minor forms major forms of artificial intelligence will be gradually introduced. The fact is as time goes, people will want smarter forms of technology, and artificial intelligence provides that according to people.

I do agree we don't need clones/being artificially smarter, but issue is its probably going to be introduced commonly and i just want an opinion from an Islamic perspective. There is no point shunning an idea that may become reality one day, its good to discuss.