A question regarding 'Namaste/Nomoshkar'

aliff

Assalamu A'laikum,

Are Muslims allowed to greet Hindus by saying 'Namaste' ? Today I was walking with a muslim friend and I met a Hindu friend on the way, and we greeted each other with 'Namaste'. Later, my muslim friend told me that its shirk to greet Hindus with namaste as Imitating non-muslim is forbidden in Islam.

Is it really true, can someone shed some light in this issue ?

I grew up in Bangladesh, which has significant Hindu population and esp. in Dhaka. I had many Hindu neighbours and friends, so saying 'Nomoshkar' is something I have done from my childhood. :( :(

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam,

From now on; just say "Hi" or "Hello" or something like that. Many Hindus actually say "Salam" to me. :)

I taught some to say Alhum-do-lillah and Insha'Allah & stuff.

Don't forget to be courteous and polite at all times with everyone, Insha'Allah.

Assalamu A'laikum,

Are Muslims allowed to greet Hindus by saying 'Namaste' ? Today I was walking with a muslim friend and I met a Hindu friend on the way, and we greeted each other with 'Namaste'. Later, my muslim friend told me that its shirk to greet Hindus with namaste as Imitating non-muslim is forbidden in Islam.

Is it really true, can someone shed some light in this issue ?

I grew up in Bangladesh, which has significant Hindu population and esp. in Dhaka. I had many Hindu neighbours and friends, so saying 'Nomoshkar' is something I have done from my childhood. :( :(