A sin to be homosexual or only if one acts upon it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Well how can one "be" something that indicates an action? That would be like saying someone who is very angry and wants to kill someone is the same as one who actually kills someone. The desire and action are very different things. Our thoughts are simply thoughts, it is the action that makes something a sin.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Sophie29

So to have homosexual thoughts is not a sin? It is only a sin if the individual acts upon them?

why do people, created by Allah, in Allah's imagine, have sinful thoughts? Is it Shaatan's work?

homosexual is pakka haraam...so plz dont talk abt that... if u have thoughts abt that plz make amal and dua then sathaka....

keep me in dua...

assalamu alaikum

first of all sathan will gave thoughts of sexual thing..... then he desire to do that thing . so plz crash they niyaath (thoughts)... bcz in hadees we can see.... muslims thoughts is better then amal/deed (perfomance).... so plz omit all things make plaenty of time in dua. then u will see they change allah will give in imaan...

plz keep me in dua... ramalan ramalan oh ramalan..... i wish in my life ,,, in every seconds, every movement, every amal.... and my thinking, my view, my listening, my talk.... all are about ALLAH AND RASOOL (S.A.W). i want live in amal and i make dawaath to all.... about this. so pls dua for me and rest of world!!!!

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
So to have homosexual thoughts is not a sin? It is only a sin if the individual acts upon them?

why do people, created by Allah, in Allah's imagine, have sinful thoughts? Is it Shaatan's work?

Salam Alaikum

This is a form of Waswaas (whispering thoughts) that can either come from yourself (nafs) or from the shaytan. To distinguish the difference most of the time waswaas from the shaytan does not linger on one sin if you fail to commit that sin shaytan moves on to get you to commit a different sin. To the Shaytan which sin you commit is unimportant as long as you disobey Allah. In the case of Waswaas from Nafs (yourself) this form a waswaas makes you think about committing the same sin constinently. You will not be punished for this thoughts inshallah if you do not act upon them. What you do need to do is make Du'aa and ask that these thoughts we taken from you and refrain from committing these acts because it is haram.

It is narrated in al-Saheehayn and elsewhere that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah will forgive my ummah for whatever crosses their minds so long as they do not speak of it or act upon it.”

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Asalamo Alaikom :)

brothers and sisters above gave good advise...

------------------

On the authority of Ibn Abbas that the messenger of Allah, among the sayings he relates from his Lord is :

"Allah has written down the good deeds and the bad ones." Then he explained it [by saying that] :" He who has intended a good deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as from ten good deeds to seven hundred times, or many times over. But if he has intended a bad deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down as one bad deed."

Related by Bukhari and Muslim in their two salihs

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
homosexual is pakka haraam
LOL

I wouldn't understand homosexuals (never having such thoughts/desire myself, thus unable to understand from their perspective).
However, I would assume the thoughts and desires would be similar to the ones faced between men and women.
In that case, first and foremost sincerely repenting and asking for cure, forgiveness, and guidance.
One can resist such thoughts and desire as you would resist other things. By thoughts, I don't mean just mere random thoughts of the brain, rather 'serious contemplation or fantasy so to speak'. I believe people have control over such things, at least they should.

Keep in mind. Homosexuality is one of the greatest sin! Read the story of Lut in the Quran. Allah SAT never punished a nation so severely as he punished the people of Lut. They were the first to commit homosexuality.

Below are some of the verses relating to the people of Lut (A.S.).

"The people of Lut rejected the messengers. Behold, their brother Lut said to them: “Will ye not fear (Allah)? I am to you a messenger worthy of all trust. So fear Allah and obey me. No reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from the lord of the Worlds. Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, And leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing (all limits)!”
They said: “If thou desist not, O Lut! thou wilt assuredly be cast out!”
He said: “I do detest your doings.” (Surat ash-Shuara: 160-168

Also in another Aya Allah says: "And the awful cry overtook them".

The awful cry (sound) was used on the people of 'Ad I believe.

On people of Lut, Allah SAT combined 3 punishment (awful cry, stones of bake clay, and turning the land upside down).
According to Ibn Kathir 'The stones of bake clay were like missiles each having the name of its target'. (I'm only paraphrasing Ibn Kathir).

When Our Decree issued, We turned (the cities) upside down, and rained down on them brimstones hard as baked clay, spread, layer on layer,-Marked as from thy Lord: Nor are they ever far from those who do wrong! (Surah Hud: 82-83)

Concerning the last Aya, Ibn Kathir says:
(and they are not ever far from the wrongdoers.) This means that this vengeance (of Allah) is not far from similar wrongdoers. Verily, it has been reported in a Hadith of the Sunan collections, from Ibn `Abbas, which he attributed to the Prophet ,

So yeh, Indeed it is one of the gravest sin you can commit.
A very nice explanation of Prophet Lut and his mission (deals with homosexuality), by Imam Anwar Awlaki.

[yt]oUXS3UJJJ8k[/yt]

muharram23

Staff member
Can someone answer this?.

Thanks
S

Salamu alaykum

Yes, homosexuality is one of great sins in islaam. However, can someone still be a muslim and be homosexual, then yes. It is not something that takes a person out of islaam. But it is something that can be a reason for someone to go to hell fire, long time but not forever, if he/she is a muslim. The biggest sin is shirk (associating partners with Allah, worshipping others with Allah) and that is something that Allah will not forgive, but will forgive anythin smaller than that to whom he wills. As ALlah subhane states in the quraan

"Surely Allah will not forgive the association of partners (shirk) with Him, but He forgives (sins) less then that to whomever He wishes"
(Surah An-Nisa 4:48)

And Allah will forgive this ummah (nation) of prophet muhammad :saw: the evil thoughts as long as they do not act on them. Sister amira20 has provided a great hadith on this.

ALlah knows best

wassalam

Believer

just a little quote that Insha'Allah helps with the whispers that I thought would be beneficiary

"If the first inward thought is not warded off, it will generate a desire, then the desire will generate a wish, and the wish will generate an intention, and the intention will generate an action, and the action will result in ruin and divine wrath. So evil must be cut off at its root, which is when it is simply a thought that crosses the mind, from which all the things follow on"
- Imam Abu Hamid Al-Ghazzali
[Ihyaa Uloom Al-Deen, 6/17]

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Salamu alaykum

But it is something that can be a reason for someone to go to hell fire, long time but not forever, if he/she is a muslim.

wassalam
:salam2:
Are you referring to a Muslim who has such thoughts/desire but does not act upon it?
Or are you referring to a Muslim who actually acts upon such thoughts?
If it's the latter case, can you provide me with daleel or at least an scholarly opinion. I've never heard of such thing sister!
Sounds very odd to me.

It's as if, I were to have a wife yet commit zina with another women through out my life and expect to stay in hellfire for a little detention, and then go to heaven, just because I'm a believer.
I personally would never have such 'expectation'.
Just doesn't make sense at all.

:wasalam:

muharram23

Staff member
Are you referring to a Muslim who has such thoughts/desire but does not act upon it?
Or are you referring to a Muslim who actually acts upon such thoughts?
If it's the latter case, can you provide me with daleel or at least an scholarly opinion. I've never heard of such thing sister!
Sounds very odd to me.

It's as if, I were to have a wife yet commit zina with another women through out my life and expect to stay in hellfire for a little detention, and then go to heaven, just because I'm a believer.
I personally would never have such 'expectation'.
Just doesn't make sense at all.

:wasalam:

Salamu alaykum

so what are you saying that a muslim who drinks alcohol, comits adulter, homosexual, steals, same as a kaaafir who disbelieves in ALlah? Yes there are punishments set for these in shariah however it is not same as kuffr. It is not that hard to understand. By the way i posted an ayah where Allah says he will NOT forgive shirk but will forgive anything smaller than that to whom He wants. Definitely shirk is bigger sin than homosexuality, and therefore if shirk is the biggest sin, anything else is smaller than it. Do you agree?

As long as the person believes in Allah and does not go around saying that homosexuality is permissible, than he is a muslim who is a great sinner and is in great danger. If he is someone calling himself a muslim but goes around saying homosexuality is permissible or any other acts like drinking alcohol, comitting zina, dealing with interrest etc. all great sins in islaam, then that takes him out of islaam.

But other than that, how can we say it is possible a muslim can comit all other sins, but not homosexuality? Of course this is a great sin, but the end line is alhamdulillah he is still a muslim and if ALlah wants, He will forgive him and if not then He might punish him/her.

As long as they keep repenting from that sin.

wassalam

Believer

So let’s all go drink, commit adultery, steal, and eat pork etc because in the end Allah is going to forgive us?

muharram23

Staff member
So let’s all go drink, commit adultery, steal, and eat pork etc because in the end Allah is going to forgive us?

Salamu alaykum

What i have realized, is that you guys do not know that sins have their degrees of severity. Shirk, associating other with ALlah is the gravest thing if a person dies in that state, Allah subhane will not forgive. I have no where said that it is ok to go drink, comit adultery, be homosexual, all i said is that a person who does those things, is a great sinner, but is not something that makes him/her a disbeliever, a kaafir.

People who follow the quraan and sunnah with the understanding of the sahabah, will never call muslims kaafir according small or big sins they do as long as they do not legitimize them.

Yes, there are punishments for them prescribe in quraan and sunnah, but they are still muslims. For the third time, ALlah may forgive them or punish them until they are clean from their sins.

Please read the following for further information.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/27176/homosexuality

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/2104/homosexuality

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10050/homosexuality

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/38622/homosexuality

Allah knows best

wassalam

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Salamu alaykum
He will forgive him and if not then He might punish him/her.

As long as they keep repenting from that sin.

wassalam

Saalam,

You completely misunderstood me. I wasn't sure what you were trying to say in your post, thus I asked you two questions. Please re-read my previous post carefully.
Then I wrote my response based on the second the scenario.
I did not pronounce a Muslim who is is "acting upon his homosexual desire" as kaffir.
Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to clarify my 2 questions in the previous posts.

muharram23

Staff member
Saalam,

You completely misunderstood me. I wasn't sure what you were trying to say in your post, thus I asked you two questions. Please re-read my previous post carefully.
Then I wrote my response based on the second the scenario.
I did not pronounce a Muslim who is is "acting upon his homosexual desire" as kaffir.
Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to clarify my 2 questions in the previous posts.

Salamu alaykum

When you read my posts, they answered your questions. Please read book by imam az-zhahabi called "Kitabu kibair" The book on Great sins. It is a great book for all those who want to know what are considered great sins and what are their consiquences for those who do them.

Barakallahu feekum

Wassalam

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Saalam,

It seems though you're very confused.
So I will quote you again
You wrote

"But it is something that can be a reason for someone to go to hell fire, long time but not forever, if he/she is a muslim."

From your statement I concluded the following:
1. You're referring to a believer who may have homosexual thoughts/desires
2. You're offering to a believer who is homosexual (acting upon such thoughts/and desires)

So I asked you to clarify which one you're referring to. 1 or 2.

Then I based my response in case if you're referring to a believer who belongs to the 2nd category.

But it is something that can be a reason for someone to go to hell fire, long time but not forever, if he/she is a muslim.

Based on your statement above:
I concluded the following.

3. You're implying that a homosexual who is Muslim may go to hellfire for a little while. (which implies after the punishment in hellfire he will be taken out of it)

That's is something I find odd, and hence I wanted to know where you got such concept. If there is any evidence for it.

lol I hope I cleared up the misunderstanding

Yes I'm very aware of the degrees of sins.

However, based on what little knowledge I have your statement (the one I quoted) did not make any sense, so to further my knowledge I asked you for daleel. :)
:shake:

Wasalam

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

Like I posted previously if you are having Wawaas with homosexual thoughts only then you can ask Allah to take that from you and there is not a punishment for that as long as you do not act on it.

Now for the homosexual (acting on it) if they did not repent to Allah then there punishment is forever in the hellfire with no chance for paradise. If they repent and do not die as a homosexual they have a chance at paradise. But if they die a homosexual then hell will be their abode forever. I thought that was decided by the story of Lut. When the people were given a chance to repent but because they did not they were promised the hellfire forever.

I do know the punishment for hellfire is not forever in some cases but I thought homosexuality is not an exception being the extent of this major sin.

Correct me if I am wrong but that was my understanding.

Can someone answer this?.

Thanks
S

Salaam sister Sophie,

Brother Believer's post has it broken down psychologically. Try to get away from evil thoughts. Keep yourself busy, lower your gaze, get married are good solutions. Happy Ramadan.

just a little quote that Insha'Allah helps with the whispers that I thought would be beneficiary

"If the first inward thought is not warded off, it will generate a desire, then the desire will generate a wish, and the wish will generate an intention, and the intention will generate an action, and the action will result in ruin and divine wrath. So evil must be cut off at its root, which is when it is simply a thought that crosses the mind, from which all the things follow on"
- Imam Abu Hamid Al-Ghazzali
[Ihyaa Uloom Al-Deen, 6/17]

muharram23

Staff member
3. You're implying that a homosexual who is Muslim may go to hellfire for a little while. (which implies after the punishment in hellfire he will be taken out of it)

That's is something I find odd, and hence I wanted to know where you got such concept. If there is any evidence for it.

lol I hope I cleared up the misunderstanding

Yes I'm very aware of the degrees of sins.

However, based on what little knowledge I have your statement (the one I quoted) did not make any sense, so to further my knowledge I asked you for daleel. :)
:shake:

Wasalam
Salamu alaykum

First i am a brother. Second, yes i did refer do a muslim who is acting on that sin, i really didnt think it was that hard to understand from my writing. And alhamduliullah i am not confused.

I mentioned this ayah in the quraan where ALlah says

Allah says:

"Surely Allah will not forgive the association of partners (shirk) with Him, but He forgives (sins) less then that to whomever He wishes"
(Surah An-Nisa 4:48)

I even made the ayah bold and underlined the part "anything else smaller" so you do not miss it again.

Here below i will post to you the tefseer of that ayah 4:48.

Tefseer ibn katheer

4:48(forgives not that partners should be set up with Him (in worship),) meaning, He does not forgive a servant if he meets Him while he is associating partners with Him,(but He forgives except that) of sins,to whom He wills) of His servants.

Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Dharr said that the Messenger of Allah said,

(Allah said, "O My servant! As long as you worship and beg Me, I will forgive you, no matter your shortcomings. O My servant! If you meet Me with the earth's fill of sin, yet you do not associate any partners with Me, I will meet you with its fill of forgiveness.'') Only Ahmad recorded this Hadith with this chain of narration. Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Dharr said, "I came to the Messenger of Allah and he said,

("No servant proclaims,`There is no deity worthy of worship except Allah,' and dies on that belief, but will enter Paradise.'' I said, "Even if he committed adultery and theft'' He said, "Even if he committed adultery and theft.'' I asked again, "Even if he committed adultery and theft'' He said, "Even if he committed adultery and theft.'' The fourth time, he said, "Even if Abu Dharr's nose was put in the dust.'') Abu Dharr departed while pulling his Izar and saying, "Even if Abu Dharr's nose was put in the dust.'' Ever since that happened, Abu Dharr used to narrate the Hadith and then comment, "Even if Abu Dharr's nose was put in dust.'' The Two Sahihs recorded this Hadith Al-Bazzar recorded that Ibn `Umar said, "We used to refrain from begging (Allah) for forgiveness for those who commit major sins until we heard our Prophet reciting,

Verily, Allah forgives not that partners should be set up with Him (in worship), but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He wills, and his saying,

(I have reserved my intercession on the Day of Resurrection for those among my Ummah who commit major sins.)'' Allah's statement,

(and whoever sets up partners with Allah in worship, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin.) is similar to His statement,

(Verily, joining others in worship with Allah is a great Zulm (wrong) indeed.) In the Two Sahihs, it is recorded that Ibn Mas`ud said, "I said, `O Messenger of Allah! Which is the greatest sin' He said,

(To make a rival with Allah, while He Alone created you.)''

You said

Yes, that is what i mean when you read my posts. And also from tefseer and hadiths. That "little while" you are referring is only ALlah knows. Allah knows only how long it will take that person to be purified from that sin, but he will not be in hell fire forever because then that would not be fair, it would not be different from a kafir.

We know that a person gets punished in the grave whether he be muslim or not. A muslim gets punished in grave for sins he comitted. If he gets cleared of sins in grave then inshALlah he will be safe from jahannam. If he is not cleared of sins in grave, then he will be torture in hell fire until he gets cleared of his sins.

There is a narration that the last person who will enter paradise will come out of jahannam and still have 10 times what the whole dunya has. A disbeliever will never enter paradise as paradise has been forbidden for those who associate partners with Allah, but a muslim sinner will enter one day and only ALlah knows that one day.

Another think brother is that i do not appreciate your thing of being sarcastic when asking a question or anyone else. If you do not understand a things than a person should ask kindly and politly. That is from the sunnah.

Also here is a fatwa of a shaykh on that issue

Q: I have a gay friend born in a muslim family. he has turned gay because of certain circumstances eg. absence of father and other things. i want to ask :
is he considered a muslim? can i marry him in the hope that it'll bring him to the right path once more? i'm trying to change him back : is it okay for me to talk to him about sexual matters and all? what if he promises me to try to be on the straight path if i marry him ? if i marry him, and some day he gives in to his temptation (ie has a sexual intercourse with a male), will that have any affect on our marriage ? if he has had sexual contacts with males, is it forgivable if he repents sincerely ?

A: Praise be to Allaah.

Homosexuality is a major sin which deserves the most severe of punishments in this world and in the Hereafter. See Question no. 5177. But the person who does that cannot be described as a kaafir because of that, unless he thinks that it is permissible and claims that it is halaal – in which he is to be denounced as a kaafir. But simply doing it whilst admitting that it is haraam does not put a Muslim beyond the pale of Islam. He is still a Muslim, but he is exposed to the wrath of Allaah and is committing a major sin. It is not permissible for you to go ahead and marry him until he repents sincerely. Simply promising does not count as repentance. My advice to you is not to go ahead and marry him, rather you have to look for a righteous man who will be the means of bringing you happiness in this world and in the Hereafter. Homosexuality, just like other major sins, is open to repentance: whoever repents, Allaah will accept his repentance.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Kareem al-Khudayr

Allah knows best

wassalam

Status
Not open for further replies.