** A Story About Gentleness **

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2: :)

The Man and His Truck

A Story About Gentleness

by sister Zabrina Abu Bakar

My mobile rang late that evening. The first thing I heard when I answered the call was a sobbing sound on the other line. I immediately recognized the voice.

A dear friend was in tears after being yelled to by her boss over some administrative mistakes that she admitted had done accidentally. She knew that she was wrong and deserved to be corrected. As a professional, she could admit and accept her wrongs gracefully, and she had no qualms correcting them. However, according to her, that was not why she was crying.

What hurt her was more of the way she was handled; the yelling and shouting by the boss, plus the throwing of the document file in her direction. That was what shattered her that day. Who could blame her? Anyone would be shaken if treated in such a way. I know I would. Calming her down took some time, but the "pep talk" to build up her self-esteem and motivation again took longer, much longer.

As I sat there, thinking sadly of my friend's experience that day, I could not help but ponder on why some people take pleasure in being harsh when getting their point across. Why do some people choose aggressiveness over a simple advice? Do they enjoy watching others squirm? What goes on in their mind when they yell and shout? Is the mistake worthy of the humiliation they inflict? Would they, themselves, accept being embarrassed and disgraced that way? Couldn't a simple discussion, done in a civilized manner do the job for them? Couldn't advice be given privately instead of making sure that one's voice was heard through the four walls of the office?

It was a heartbreaking moment for me when I was reminded of my Lord's attribute:

`A'ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) reported that Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Allah is gentle and loves gentleness. He gives for gentleness what He does not give for harshness nor for anything else." (Muslim)

Subhan Allah! Allah is kind and gentle. Almighty Allah, the Creator and Owner of everything and everyone, is kind and gentle. Who are we? We do not even own the cloth we wear, the eyes we use, the air we breathe, the smile we show, the eyelids we batter, the teeth we chew with, or the water we drink. Who are we to act in such a harsh manner as if we are perfect? It's as if we have never done and would never do any mistakes! As if we are infallible! Astaghfirullah! My heart beats sadly for my friend.

I remembered a hadith of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him):

Jarir narrated that the Prophet said,"He who is deprived of gentleness is deprived of good." (Muslim)

That is so scary. A person deprived of gentleness is deprived of good? Who in their right mind would want to be deprived of good?

I also remembered reading the Qur'anic verse that has become one of my compasses in dealing with others:

[And speak to him [Pharaoh]mildly, perhaps he may accept admonition or fear Allah.] (Ta-Ha20:44)

When I first read this verse, it truly surprised me.

What did Allah tell us to do? Even with a dictator like Pharaoh, we are asked to speak gently. You know Pharaoh? Yes, the Pharaoh who chased Prophet Musa (Moses), the one who had wronged Prophet Musa's people and killed male babies. Yes, that one! And how was Prophet Musa ordered to deal with such a person? With gentle speech! Can you believe that? Even to a person with a history like Pharaoh's we are asked to deal gently; subhan Allah!

And what was the reason given? So that perhaps — nothing guaranteed because it was still Pharaoh's choice — he could be reminded of Allah through our gentle speech. Subhan Allah! What did that tell us? A person, regardless of his or her behavior and action, is entitled to be addressed gently.

Maybe my friend's boss should be reminded of this verse. Maybe he should ask himself, was my friend worse than Pharaoh? Because even Pharaoh who denied Allah and His Prophet was to be handled gently! Surely, my friend is nothing close to Pharaoh, right?

I reminded myself of this quote I read somewhere before: Extract the honey, but do not break the hive.

How true this quote is! To get the honey, we should not break the hive. Instead, we should carefully, systematically, and gently approach it. Failure to do so would result in us getting bee stings all over, qualify us for hospital admission, and might even land us into a new home6 feet under! Let alone I know it seems a little bit farfetched here, but these things do happen.

Let me share with you a story I read sometime ago about a man and his son:

A man came out of his home to admire his new truck. To his puzzlement, his 3-year-old son was happily hammering dents into the shiny paint.

The man ran to his son, knocked him away, and hammered the little boy's hands into a pulp as punishment. When the father calmed down, he rushed his son to the hospital.

Although the doctor tried desperately to save the crushed bones, he finally had to amputate the fingers from both the boy's hands. When the boy woke up from the surgery and saw his bandaged stubs, he innocently said, "Daddy, I am sorry about your truck." Then he asked, "But when are my fingers going to grow back?"

"When are my fingers growing back?" I could not imagine the regret this father must have in his heart. Could you even imagine it? Was the satisfaction worth the pain after? Was the action during rage by the father justified? Could the finger ever grow back? How could the father possibly answer his son?

As I sat there thinking of my friend and this poor boy, I asked myself this question: Have I ever hammered someone else's fingers? If yes, why did I do it? If yes, whose fingers were they? Why do I have to get that hammer and hurt those fingers? What if their fingers were beyond repair and had to be amputated?

I felt a heavy feeling in my heart, and I pray to Allah to forgive me if I have done something unthinkable as such. And to all my friends out there, forgive me if I have hammered your fingers. Please find somewhere in your heart to forgive me whenever you looked at your amputated fingers, if any.

What about you, my friends? Have you ever hammered anyone's finger simply because you could not control your temper? Think about it. Think hard because always, the doer forgets but the receiver does not. Just imagine that your fingers are amputated. How would you feel? Do you want to make others feel that way too?

In the end, whenever you feel like showing your anger, remember these two stories — Pharaoh's and the boy's. May we all take heed, amen.

:astag:May Allah Guide Us And Forgive Us!:tti_sister:AMEEN.

:salam2::ma:

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:

“Gentleness leads to peace” (Meezan al-Hikmah)
STORY[hadith]

[Once a Bedouin Arab came to Madina and visited the Holy Prophet (saww) to seek his guidance and advice. The Holy Prophet :)saw:) said to him: “Do not lose your temper” and said nothing more than this.

The man returned to his tribe. When he arrived among his people, he noticed a serious problem had occurred. Few young men of his tribe had stolen some things from the other tribe and they had retaliated. As a result, they had gradually reached a stage of waging war against each other and had come out face to face with their weapons for the confrontation.

He immediately sought for his armour and taking up his weapon joined his tribe to fight against the other tribe. Suddenly, he recollected the words of the Holy Prophet :)saw:), “Do not lose your temper”. He was soon in deep thoughts asking himself: Why have I become so excited? Why have I taken up my weapon to shed blood? What made me so furious? Thereupon, he left his weapon and came forward to address the other tribe. He said, “What is this war for? If few ignorant men from our tribe have committed transgression against you, I am ready to recompense from my personal wealth. So there is no reason to jeopardize our life and shed blood for nothing”. When the opposite side heard this magnanimous proposition from this man, their generosity and zeal was aroused and they said in reply: “We are in no way inferior to you. Now that it is so, we will forgo our demands”. Consequently, both the parties retreated to their tribes.] (Usool al-Kaafi)

Morals and Manners (Akhlaq)

Islam gives very high place to ethics and morality. It says that a person who has no character has no religion. The basic nature of Islamic teachings on ethics and morality are:

a. Universal Values - not promoting any specific culture, race or country.
b. Positive and life affirming - it teaches that you can enjoy the good things of this life.
c. Not ascetic, monastic, morbid or moribund in nature. Islam wants people to be happy, healthy, optimistic and forward looking.
d. Practical - take into account human needs, emotions, desires, and aspirations and provides opportunities for their growth.
e. Egalitarian - There are no double standards - one for religious class and other for laity.

hager

so nice

so Nice story..Osman..
please,if u know more stores..post it...we'd love to read it..
:muslim_child:

abu'muhammad

:salam2:

brother, good story , refining and self reflecting thnx.

:jazaak: yes such are cases with ours. We take poison as medicine for our ailment. that should'nt be there . A person on deen can only be saved from such horrible disasters.

May Allah save the ummah , ameen.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Another Story [hadith]

[Once, a nomadic, rough Arab arrived in Madina and made his way towards the Mosque in hope of getting some gold and silver from the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.). When he entered the Mosque, the Holy Prophet :)saw:) was among multitude of his friends and companions. This Arab made his request and demanded the charity. The Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.) gave him something but the Arab was not satisfied and thought that whatever he got was less. So he yelled at the Prophet (P.B.U.H.) and uttered some very harsh words to him. The companions were very disappointed with the Arab and not tolerating his insults, they got up to beat him but the Holy Prophet :)saw:) prohibited them to harm him.

Later on, the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.) took the Bedouin Arab to his home and favoured him some more. In fact, when the Bedouin saw the simplicity of the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.) own life, he felt remorseful at his own behaviour and expressed his thanks to the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.) for his additional favour. The Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.) told him: “You uttered harsh words yesterday, which provoked the anger of my companions and you have made them bitter against you. Now that you have thanked and spoken kind words to me, could you repeat the same in presence of my companions so as to ease their anger against you?” The man readily agreed so the Holy Prophet (saww) brought him to the Mosque and said to his companions: “This man claims that he has been pleased with me, am I right?” The man said, “Yes! You are right”, and then repeated the words he had mentioned to the Holy Prophet :)saw:) privately. At this, the companions began laughing and were happy. Thereafter, addressing his companions, the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.) said, “My example with such a person is like a man whose camel startled and ran away. The people began shouting and running after the camel thinking that they would help the owner. The more they shouted, the more the camel sped. The owner kept calling the people back assuring them that he knew how to keep the camel calm. When the people left the camel alone, the owner picked up some herbs and gently showed it to the camel without shouting and running. The camel came back and the owner easily grasped the bridle of his camel and set off on his way”.

Then the Holy Prophet :)saw:) added: “Yesterday, if I would have allowed you to handle this man as you please, you would have killed the poor man. But I stood between you and him, and treated him gently and kindly”.]
(Dastaane-Raastaan)

******************​

“It is by Allah’s mercy that you are gentle to them, had you been harsh and hardhearted, surely they would have dispersed from around you. Therefore, excuse them; Plead for forgiveness for them and consult them in the affairs”. (3:159)
******************​

[History tells us that the battle of ‘Uhud was the toughest battle, which the Muslims fought against the pagans of Quraysh.

In this battle, the Holy Prophet :)saw:) had instructed the Muslims not to leave their positions until they were told to do so. They did not follow the instruction; They left their positions in greed of getting their hands on the booty, and as a result, they were attacked and surrounded by their enemies; In order to save their lives, some Muslims escaped to the nearby mountains leaving the Holy Prophet :)saw:) and some of his companions behind to deal with the situation; Many so-called prominent companions were among those who fled.

After the battle of ‘Uhud, these Muslims deserved to be punished. But, the Holy Prophet :)saw:) did NOT punish them. Instead, he :)saw:) dealt with them gently and with mildness.] (Tafseer-e-Namoona)

******************​

The Holy Prophet :)saw:) has said, “If gentleness could have been a creature perceived by eyes then it would have been the most beautiful of all creations of Allah (SWT)”. (Bihar al-Anwaar)

He :)saw:) also said, “Wherever gentleness is exhibited, it adorns the place”. (Kanzul-‘Ummaal)

******************​

“Gentleness leads to peace” (Meezan al-Hikmah)

“Gentleness is key to success”. (Meezan al-Hikmah)

:salam2::ma: SOURCE

OsMaN_93

Here to help
“… Repel (the evil) with one which is better (i.e., Allaah ordered the faithful believers to be patient at the time of anger, and to excuse those who treat them badly), then verily! He between whom and you there was enmity, (will become) as though he was a close friend. But none is granted it (the above quality), except those who are patient, and none is granted it except the owner of the great portion (of happiness in the Hereafter, i.e., Paradise, and in this world of a high moral character).”[Fussilat 41:35]

*****************​

“Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish (i.e., don’t punish them).”[al-A’raaf 7:199]

:ma::salam2: