::A Summarised Guide to Good Manners in Islam::

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
1.19. Recommendation to recite Quran continously without unnecessary interruptions

Naafi' (may Allah have mercy upon him) narrated: When Ibn 'Umar would recite the Quran, he would not speak until he finished his recitation. But I was with him one day when he was reciting the Chapter of the Cow. He continued until he reached a certain point and then said, "Do you know what this was revealed about?" I said, "No." He said it was revealed about such-and-such matter and then he continued his recitation. (Related in al-Bukhari)

quran70uu.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
1.20. Prophetic practice to glorify (to say: subhaanallaah) Allah at verses of glorification, seeking refuge at verses mentioning punishment and asking at verses of mercy

Hudhaifah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates regarding his prayer with the Messenger of Allah
p.gif
: He then began the Chapter on the Family of Imraan. He proceeded slowly with his recitation. When he came across a verse of glorifying Allah, he would glorify. When he came across a verse of invocation, he would invoke. And when he came across a verse wherein refuge is sought, he would seek refuge. (Related by Muslim)

quran42uy.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
1.21. Prophetic practice to prostrate at relevant verses

It is highly recommended that the recitor and the one intently listening prostrates at the fifteen marked out verses in the Quran and say subhaana rabbiyal-'Alaa` then one of the related invocations for it (along with any personal supplications) e.g.

021-50.gif

My face fell prostrate before He who created it and brought forth its faculties of hearing and seeing by His might and power. << So Blessed is Allaah, the best of creators.>> (Related by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, an-Nasa`i and al-Tirmidhi with a strong chain of narration)

021-51.gif

O Allaah, record for me a reward for this, and remove from me a sin. Save it for me and accept it from me just as You had accepted it from Your servant David. (Related by al-Tirmidhi)

It is highly recommended to be in a state of ritual purity and to stand for it.

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
1.22. Dislike of kissing the Quran and placing it between one's eyes

There is no authentic proof for this practice.

'Aa`ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) narrated that the Messenger of Allah
p.gif
said
: Whoever introduces into this matter of ours that which is not from it, it is rejected. (Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

koran62tg.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
1.23. Dislike to hang Quranic verses on walls

The scholars forbid this practice as it is contrary to the purpose of recitation and reflection that the Quran was revealed for. It has no precedence from the early Muslims and is a means to possible desecration and other blameworthy actions.

koran54on.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2. Etiquettes of Greetings
2.1. Prophetic practice to initiate salutations and obligation to respond

The Messenger of Allah
p.gif
said: You will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I guide you to something which if you do it will make you love one another? Spread greetings of peace among yourself (Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim)
وَإِذَا حُيِّيْتُم بِتَحِيَّةٍ فَحَيُّواْ بِأَحْسَنَ مِنْهَا أَوْ رُدُّوهَا إِنَّ اللّهَ كَانَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ حَسِيبًا[FONT=Georgia, Verdana]When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or return it equally. Certainly, Allâh is Ever a Careful Account Taker of all things.[/FONT] (An-Nisa 4:86)
It is sufficient for an individual in a group to respond to greetings given to all, although it is better to respond collectively.
islamicpattern8cv.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.2.Three types of giving greetings

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates a man passed by the Messenger of Allah
p.gif
who was seated in a gathering and said: 'as-salaamu 'alakum. ("Peace be upon you")' The Prophet said: Ten good deeds. Another man passed by and said: 'as-salaamu 'alakum wa rahmatullaah ("Peace and the Mercy of Allah be upon you").'The Prophet said: Twenty good deeds. Then another man passed by and said: 'as-salaamu 'alakum wa rahmatullaah wa barakaatuh ("Peace and Allah's Mercy and Blessings be upon you")The Prophet said: Thirty good deeds. (Related by al-Tirmidhi)

One should always use the plural pronoun i.e. 'alaykum as-salaam instead of 'alayka as-salaam.

It is disliked to add anything further to wa barakaatuh.

islamart6oi.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.4. Recommendation to repeat greetings three times for large gatherings or doubt of being heard

One should repeat greetings three times when there are many peple in the gathering such that those who didn't hear the first will hear the second or third. One does the same if one thinks the other person did not hear and should not go beyond three times. This is based upon an-Nawawi's and Ibn Hajr's comments on the narration of Anas that the Prophet
p.gif
would repeat important statements three times.

682541bisl17nm.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.5. Prophetic practice to initiate greetings and to respond loudly

Thaabit bin 'Ubayd said, "I went to a gathering wherein 'Abdullah ibn 'Umar was present, and he said, 'When you give greetings of peace, then let others hear you, for it is a blessed and good greeting.'" (Related in al-Adab al-Mufrad)

Al-Nawawi rules that at the very least one should return greetings, if not out loud, then at least in an audible tone, otherwise he has not fulfilled the compulsory duty of responding to the Islamic greeting.

smallslayterralphtile50w6wt.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.6. Prophetic practice to be inclusive of everyone with one's greetings and not to acquaintances only

Ibn Mas'ood (may Allah be pleased with him) related that the Messenger of Allah
p.gif
said: Verily from the signs of the Hour is when greetings will be for acquaintances (only)
(Related by Ahmad)

A man asked the Prophet
p.gif
, "Which Islam is the best?" The Prophet said: Feeding others food and saying salaam both to those you know and those you do not know.
(Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.7. Recommendation for the one arriving to initiate greetings

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates a man passed by the Messenger of Allah
p.gif
who was seated in a gathering and said: 'as-salaamu 'alakum. ("Peace be upon you")' The Prophet said: Ten good deeds. Another man passed by and said: 'as-salaamu 'alakum wa rahmatullaah ("Peace and the Mercy of Allah be upon you").'The Prophet said: Twenty good deeds. Then another man passed by and said: 'as-salaamu 'alakum wa rahmatullaah wa barakaatuh ("Peace and Allah's Mercy and Blessings be upon you")The Prophet said: Thirty good deeds. (Related by al-Tirmidhi)

islamicpatterns17go.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.8. Prophetic practice for rider to greet pedestrian; the pedestrian to greet the sedent; the few to greet the many; and the junior to greet the senior

The Messenger of Allah
p.gif
said: The rider greets the pedestrian. The pedestrian greets the sedent and the few greet the many. (Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

And in another narration: The young one greets the old. The passer-by greets the one who is seated and the few greets the many. (Related by al-Bukhari)

Failure to follow order of precedence is not sinning but neglect of the recommended. If all circumstances are similar the one to initiate greetings is the better.

One should also renew greetings when temporarily separated.

The Messenger of Allah
p.gif
said: When one of you meets his brother let him give the Islamic greetings. If they become separated by a tree or wall or rock then he should greet him when they meet again. (Related by Abu Dawud)

islamicpatterns0ua.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.9. Permissibility to greet the old unrelated woman not the young

Imam Ahmad's son, Saleh said: "I asked my father may one greet a woman?"
He said: "As for the older woman, then no problem; but a young woman should not be prompted to speak."

islamicpatterns51xs.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.10. Recommendation to greet young children

Anas ibn Malik reported that when he used to walk with the Prophet
p.gif
and they would pass a group of children, the Prophet
p.gif
would extend greetings of peace upon them. (Related by al-Bukhari)

This is to enourage good manners amongst the young as well as to accustom oneself with humbleness and gentleness. A child who has not reached puberty is not obliged to respond to greetings, but according to the majority of scholars an adult is obligated to respond to the greetings of a child.

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.11. Etiquette of greeting people amongst those sleeping

Al-Miqdad ibn al-Aswad reported that when the Prophet
p.gif
would come at night, he would give a greeting that would not arouse the one in slumber but would be audible to one who was awake. (Related by Muslim)

mwtile6pq.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.12. Prohibition to initiate Islamic greetings to the People of the Book

The Prophet
p.gif
said: Do not initiate Islamic greetings to the Jews and Christians and if if you meet one of them on the road, let them take the narrowest part.

One may greet them with other expressions such as 'Good morning' and the like.

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.13. How to answer the greetings of the People of the Book

Anas ibn Malik narrates that the Messenger of Allah
p.gif
said: When the People of the Book greet you with peace say, wa 'alaykum ("And upon you too") (Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Some scholars opine that one can give the full response of wa 'alaykum as-salaam if one is certain that the greeting is not the similiar sounding "Death upon you" as was said by some of the Jews at the time of Prophet
p.gif

mughal20hangingai8.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.14. Initiating Islamic greetings to a mixed group of Muslims and non-Muslims

It was said to Imam Ahmad, "We have dealings with the Jews and Christians and we go to their homes. When we go to them, they sometimes have a group of Muslims with them. Should we give them Islamic greetings?" He said, "Yes, but you should intend your Islamic greetings for the Muslims."

da08cbe3.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.15. Impermissability to greet with gestures unless with a valid excuse

Jabir narrates that the Messenger of Allah
p.gif
said: Do not greet with the greeting of the Jews. Their greeting is with their heads, their hands and with a gesture. (Related by al-Nasa`i)

Asma bint Yazeed said: The Prophet
p.gif
sent salutations to the women with his hand. (Related by al-Tirmidhi)

Hafiz Ibn Hajar said: "The prohibition of greeting with a gesture is specific to those that have the ability, both practically and according to the Shariah to utter the greeting. If one is busy or unable to utter the greeting - for example, one is busy with prayer, one is too far away from the other person, one is a mute or the person is deaf - then it is legislated for him to extend the greeting with a gesture instead."

pattern2fq3.jpg

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
2.16. Permissibility to greet the one praying and to respond with a gesture

Suhaib narrates, "I passed by the Messenger of Allah
p.gif
while he was praying and I gave him the Islamic salutations and he returned the greeting with a gesture."
(Related by Abu Dawud)

The gesture can take place with a finger, hand or nod of the head as has come in other narrations.

flowertilesxj6.jpg