ADHD & stuttering

ed1987

Salamalaykam,

I have both ADHD and Stuttering. It has really affected me both personally and professionally. I was studying accounting in college but i dropped out because my symptoms were getting in the way and i dont want to take medication. My stuttering has really affected my being able to get and keep a job. Now i run a small grocery store in toronto, which isnt very profitable and just one month ago my dad past away which makes it even harder on me now. Is there any advice anyone can give me?

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam,

Have you tried to change your diet? Any cures from the Sunnah?

Jazakallahu khayran

Nureyni Amir

Salamalaykam,

I have both ADHD and Stuttering. It has really affected me both personally and professionally. I was studying accounting in college but i dropped out because my symptoms were getting in the way and i dont want to take medication. My stuttering has really affected my being able to get and keep a job. Now i run a small grocery store in toronto, which isnt very profitable and just one month ago my dad past away which makes it even harder on me now. Is there any advice anyone can give me?

Walaikum Asalam warahmatullahi wabrakhatuh,
Have patience my brother!
Trials and tribulations are a part of life. We do not like them; we do not like to go through them; but eventually we accept them. Even if we pray, fast, pay our zakat and do all different forms of ibadat we still get tested. Sadness sometimes fills our hearts. We could be the best of practicing Muslims, yet poor and unable to put food on our table. We could be rich yet lonely, or young yet unhealthy. It is in these instances that shaytan starts toying with our head. We look at what others have, especially the non-Muslims, and our core gets rattled. The shaytan ignites a fire that gets our blood boiling, hopelessness and frustration set in, and we ask “Oh Allah, why me?! Why am I being punished?”
Psychologists tell us that human beings go through five stages of emotion when struck with a calamity. Understanding the different stages of grief minimizes the first four stages (which are denial, anger, bargaining and depression) and gets us to the final stage – which is acceptance. We all went through these stages on many different occasions, Because Allah swa said in the Quran "Ye shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your personal selves. (3:186)
Do men think that they will be left alone on saying “We believe” and that they will not be tested? (29:2)
Be sure We shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil); but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere. (2:155) .
Trials are a Sign of Love By Allah

Often whenever we are tested by trails we assume that Allah swa does not love us. So should remember about the Companions of the Prophet (p) who were severely persecuted or even killed after becoming Muslim, an event that wipes out all past sins. Even the prophets of Allah, the best of all people who ever walked on the face of the earth, were persecuted by their community without exception. Was Yusuf Alayhi saltu wasalam not thrown into a well, sold as a slave, and then thrown back into a prison? Did Ayub Asw not face severest of trials (sufer from disease for 18 or 19 years)one after another, and was eventually left out by all except his wife? In fact, the Qur’an tells us that many prophets were brutally killed by the unbelievers.

These examples should establish the fact that trials and tribulations are not a sign of Allah’s displeasure on someone. Quite the contrary, it is rather a sign of Allah’s love on someone. The Prophet (p) said:
When Allah who is Great and Glorious loves people He afflicts them [with trials]. (Tirmidhi)​
Anyone for whom Allah intends good, He makes him suffer from some affliction. (Bukhari)​
When Allah intends good for His slave, He punishes him in this world, but when He intends an evil for His slave, He does not hasten to take him to task but calls him to account on the Day of Resurrection. (Tirmidhi).​
Allah Never Gives a Trial That is Too Great to Bear
Human beings are created weak (4:28). When a sudden calamity or distress befalls us, we easily become overwhelmed and often cry out, “O Allah! This is too much for me to bear!”
Perhaps because we often lose sight of this fact that Allah (swt) mentions this in several places in the Qur’an:
~On no soul doth Allah place a burden greater than it can bear. (2:286)​
~On no soul do We place a burden greater than it can bear: before Us is a record which clearly shows the truth: they will never be wronged. (23:62)​
~No burden do We place on any soul but that which it can bear. (6:152)​
~And those who believe and do good – We do not impose upon any of them a burden beyond his capacity. (7:42)​
The Stronger the Faith, the Harder the Test, and the Greater the Rewar
A believer afflicted with a severe calamity should take comfort from the fact that those who have strong faith are given the harder trials. This is established by the Prophet (p). When asked about who suffers the greatest afflictions, he replied: The prophets, then those who come next to them, then those who come next to them. A man is afflicted in keeping his religion. If he is firm in his religion his trial is severe, but if there is weakness in his religion it is made light for him, and it continues like that till he walks on the earth having no sin. (Tirmidhi)​

Remedies for stuttering
Make continues dua "O my Lord! Open my chest for me; make the matter easy and untie the knot in my tongue. (Surah Taha, 20:25)."
As a form of self-therapy Malcolm Fraser said in his book Self-Therapy for the Stutterer

When you start to talk, do it easily, gently and smoothly without forcing and prolonging the first sounds of words you fear.
  1. Stutter openly and do not try to hide the fact that you are a stutterer.
  2. Identify and eliminate any unusual gestures, facial contortions, or body movements which you may possibly exhibit when stuttering or trying to avoid difficulty.
  3. Do your best to stop all avoidance, postponement or substitution habits.
  4. Maintain eye contact with the person to whom you talk.
  5. Analyze and identify what your speech muscles are doing improperly when you stutter.
  6. Take advantage of block correction procedures designed to modify or eliminate your abnormal speech muscle stuttering behavior.
  7. Always keep moving forward as you speak (keep moving your voice from one word or sound to the next, without repeating or back-tracking).
  8. Try to talk with inflection and melody in a firm voice.
  9. Pay attention to the fluent speech you have.[
Try to teach kids Qur'an or give little nasihas in the masjid.
As For ADHD Video
May Allah make it easy for you.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Brother, you said you don't want to take medication. But medication in itself is Sunnah - I really think you should see a doctor. InshaAllah, perhaps Allah will send you a cure through it.

Prophet Musa (alayhis salaam) also had a speech impediment. Don't let that get in the way of your self-confidence.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Salamalaykam,

Wa`alaykummusalaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

ADHD is a psychological illness and since you have realized it has affected you to the point you had to drop out from college, then I do not see what is stopping you from getting medications and help. Yes, it is true you should pray to Allaah, make dua` so that Allaah cure you from that which hinders you to do your work effectively but there is also no harm in getting help from a professional, approved doctor.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father. May Allaah bless his soul and grant him the highest place among the righteous slave, Ameen. His demise should give you more hopes to become better and strive harder in your life. Do not let shaytan deceive you by the whispering that your illness will make you weak. You are not weak and you are capable to succeed in your life with the strengths from Allaah. Anything is possible if Allaah let it be. So have faith in Allaah and do your best to overcome your problem.

Your business might not bring much profit as of now, but inshaa Allaah as you increase your faith in Allaah, He shall open doors of provision to you. Also, make sure you have a good company of pious brothers who are willing to help and remind you at your time of need.

I hope this has been of some help.

Wa`alaykummusalaam wa rahmatullaah.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh.

First of all, akhy, welcome to TTI.

And maashaa'Allaah, I think our sisters have given you some great advice.

I have both ADHD and Stuttering. It has really affected me both personally and professionally. I was studying accounting in college but i dropped out because my symptoms were getting in the way and i dont want to take medication.

Laa hawla wa laa quwwata illaa billaah. Akhy, as believers, we are, alhamdulillaah, blessed with the knowledge of Allaah and His abilities. He has the power to make us ill just as well as He only has the power to heal us. We must learn to think positively in every situation. The believers see the good in everything Allaah has decreed to happen. We must discipline ourselves and teach our tongues to utter words of praise to Allaah `azza wa jalla, beautiful words like "Alhamdulillaah" in times of distress as well us happiness. The positive side of this illness is what the prophet :saw: has told us, walhamdulillaah.

Abu Sa'id al-Khudri r.a. reported that the Prophet said: Whenever a Muslim is afflicted with a hardship, sickness, sadness, worry, harm, or depression --even a thorn's prick, Allah expiates his sins because of it. [Saheeh Bukhari and Muslim]

So the only way it'll affect you and rule over your life is if you let that happen. You can get the help you need and, inshaa'Allaah by the Bounty of Allaah, be on your way to getting better. But if you refuse to get professional help and just sit idle, don't expect to see any relief or change any time soon.

As the sisters mentioned, it is actually apart of our Deen to seek medical help and look for the cure to everything.

Narrated Abu Hurairah (radi Allahu anhu) that the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “There is no disease that Allah has sent down except that He also has sent down its treatment.”[Saheeh Bukhari]

Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah (radiyallahu `anh) Allah's Messenger said: There is a remedy for every malady, and when the remedy is applied to the disease it is cured with the permission of Allah, the Exalted and Glorious. [Saheeh Bukhari]

The prophet practiced and taught it. His companions practiced it. The ones who followed them practiced it, so it's not befitting for us at all to leave this part of the sunnah (which is really an act of worship) behind. Inshaa'Allaah you should go see a Doctor as soon as you're able to.

My stuttering has really affected my being able to get and keep a job. Now i run a small grocery store in toronto, which isnt very profitable and just one month ago my dad past away which makes it even harder on me now. Is there any advice anyone can give me?

Subhaanallaah. I think that in and of itself is a blessing. How many people can say that they were able to open up their own shops? How many apeople have been searching and searching and only end up with 'working' in tiny little shop? But you actually run it, akhy. That's something you should be happy with. Things could've been far worse for you had it not been for Allaah's Blessings. The money might not be as good as you'd like it to be, but why not try and learn to be content with even that little bit you're making? You still have your eyes on that dream/goal you had of becoming an accountant and that's not doing you much good at the moment, it's actually holding you back from being happy and content with the way things are working out for you. Let the past pain stay there. Right now keep your focus on finding some cure to get better and also your shop.

And I ask Allaah `azza wa jalla to have mercy on your dad, forgive his shortcomings and to reunite you both together in jannatul-Firdaws.

May Allaah ease all of your affairs also and cure you and every Muslim of this illness. May Allaah `azza wa jalla grant us all the ability to be patient in times of suffering and calamity.