Advice please !

Mrs Thingy

Hello, I am new to this site, and would like advice if some one is willing to help me ?
I am a carer for a 3 year old little girl who is of the muslim religion (Afghanistan origin) and I would like to know the rules around the dress code for her please. I know that her legs must be covered, but I am unsure if I must keep her arms covered too ? Some people say her arms only need to be covered when she is older (teenage) and that while she is still a baby, it is not compulsary ? . Then other people have told me I must keep her arms covered no matter how young she is .... can anyone please tell me the correct answer ?
Thank-you ....

a_stranger

Hello, I am new to this site, and would like advice if some one is willing to help me ?
I am a carer for a 3 year old little girl who is of the muslim religion (Afghanistan origin) and I would like to know the rules around the dress code for her please. I know that her legs must be covered, but I am unsure if I must keep her arms covered too ? Some people say her arms only need to be covered when she is older (teenage) and that while she is still a baby, it is not compulsary ? . Then other people have told me I must keep her arms covered no matter how young she is .... can anyone please tell me the correct answer ?
Thank-you ....

Peace for you, at this age she don't need to be covered, but she should be raised to keep her modesty. Even before the age of puberty, muslem girls should become accustomed to these values of modesty. Muslim parents are generally careful about choosing appropriate clothing, even for their young children. While they may or may not wear the hijab yet, many young girls choose not to wear short skirts or shorts, belly shirts, or sleeveless tops in public.

Modesty is an essential part in Islam.

Mrs Thingy

Peace for you, at this age she don't need to be covered, but she should be raised to keep her modesty. Even before the age of puberty, muslem girls should become accustomed to these values of modesty. Muslim parents are generally careful about choosing appropriate clothing, even for their young children. While they may or may not wear the hijab yet, many young girls choose not to wear short skirts or shorts, belly shirts, or sleeveless tops in public.

Modesty is an essential part in Islam.

Thank-you for your advice, it was very helpful ...

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Being sensitive to the culture she comes from is important.

Just because it is not compulsory for a Muslim child to be totally covered from an Islaamic point of view, within certain cultures though, for them to go around with bare arms and legs is totally unacceptable.

Mrs Thingy

Being sensitive to the culture she comes from is important.

Just because it is not compulsory for a Muslim child to be totally covered from an Islaamic point of view, within certain cultures though, for them to go around with bare arms and legs is totally unacceptable.

Thank-you .... I totally respect this, and intend to dress her appropriately ... This is why I asked for advice, as it is important for me to know what is and is not acceptable .

Sister Zohra

Assalamu Alaikum,

Afghanistan is so diverse so their traditions vary from region to region but their base is Islam. People follow what is right depending on their knowledge of Islam.

My father was born and raised in Afghanistan so I asked his opinion (from a cultural perspective). He said for toddler girls the main thing is just to cover up the chest, back, and butt. Arms and legs aren't really a big deal.

I hope this helps.

Mrs Thingy

Assalamu Alaikum,

Afghanistan is so diverse so their traditions vary from region to region but their base is Islam. People follow what is right depending on their knowledge of Islam.

My father was born and raised in Afghanistan so I asked his opinion (from a cultural perspective). He said for toddler girls the main thing is just to cover up the chest, back, and butt. Arms and legs aren't really a big deal.

I hope this helps.

Thank-you So much for this info, I really appreciate any advice or suggestions in respect of the care of this little girl in my care ...