advice to a brother in need

aless

:salam2:

I have a bit of a problem and I don't know who to ask

a brother I know has sent me this message to ask me for help and I really do not have the knowledge to answer....

text he sent me:
"if you lie to get a college course then with that qualification get a job will my income be haram? I might not get
the voluntary job or/and course if I tell them about my illness and the medication I am taking"

this brother has suffered from schizophrenia and depression for a long time and he his really making a big effort
to try and improve his condition, and he wants to start studying and doing some voluntary work to help people with disabilities, he is harmless and has no problems understanding things, but lots of people won't consider you for any jobs if you tell the whole truth (that he suffers from clinical depression and sometimes hears voices that he now can control), it's happened before, they look at you bad

my guess is that the good intentions to overcome his struggles would allow him to do it (let me add a note here : with this i mean 'not say anything about it' rather than 'lying', so that if they ask u u'll have to say the truth but if they dont u keep quite about it) without feeling that he would be earning haram money. but this is only my guess!

Could anyone help me? I would need quotes from authentic sources to back up any arguments made so that I can text/email and explain.

aless

In Islam, lying is the mother of all evil. A man came to the prophet, peace be upon him and asked, "Does a believer steal?" The prophet answered, "It can happen." The man asked, "Does a believer fornicate?" The prophet answered, "It can happen." The man asked, "Does a believer lie?" The prophet answered, "A believer never lies!"

Would you go to a doctor who actually never went to medical school?

As for earnings from a job obtained illegitimately, the prophet peace be upon him said, "A worshiper's feet won't leave on the day of judgment until he is asked about three matters: his life, what did he spend it on, his knowledge what did he do with it, and his wealth, how did he earn it and how did he spend it!"

Your friend's good intentions and desire to help will have a good channel. God will show him the way. Your friend just needs to be honest about his medical condition and about taking his medication. Perhaps nine employers out of ten won't hire him but one will, insha-Allah.

jazakallahu khairan for ur answer
the problem is exactly this
nobody will give him a chance :( once you are in the cycle of benefit-taking from the state and doing nothing day in day out - without having any formal education - 1 out of 10 employees even taking you into consideration would be a great great thing :girl3:

but what i am wondering is .... if the employer does not ask.... he is not obliged to say .. is he? I mean... that is not a lie? would it fall under the category of being reserved about ones own medical problems?

for example:

if they ask you

do you suffer of any medical condition? in that case NO would be a straightforward lie

but if they ask you

are you aware of any medical conditions that would/could affect your studies/ work? and you genuinely think that your problem won't affect your work, then are you allowed to say no and not lie?

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu Allaicomu dear sister/brother

First of all,I need to say that I admire to your friend.May Allah help him and reword him.

I think he should say the truth Inshallah,and if he does not get the job in this work he can aways try with some other more easy job,Inshallah.

May Allah help him,AMEEN:tti_sister:

:wasalam:

naaad

mu'minah
Wa Alaikum as Salaam brother,

its a really good thing if ur friend wants to help the disabled.May ALLAH reward him!

brother, telling lies anyway is haraam except if it is done for a really good cause (like reconciliation between two brothers or somthing similar)
if he is not asked and the job doesnt necessarily require him to present the medical reports, i dont think there's any harm. but if he's asked about his medical condition, he needs to tell them the truth. speaking the truth always will keep him steadfast on the Path of Islam. and ALLAH perfectly knows what is best for him and INSHAALLAH, HE will guide him to it.
your friend just needs to be more patient and firm on the truth...when a person puts all his TRUST in ALLAH, he does'nt need to fear anything and does'nt need to take help of any lie or somthing of that sort.
May ALLAH show him the way soooon and Guide him to what's best for him!!!

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I don't know where this brother lives but in the US it's actually illegal to ask about any medical conditions, and this includes mental health. I can't think of any reason why an employer would ask about schizophrenia as it is very treatable with medication. (it is akin to asking if the employee has diabetes)

Basically they shouldn't ask and he should not diclose personal information about his medical health. That way he is not lying. If asked directly he can simply refuse to answer question of such a personal nature.