Al-Qur'an to be understood

imanjama

Assalamu alaikum wr.wb.
For the past 20 years I've been trying thru many activities to promote that al-Qur'an is to be understood and implemented. I strongly belief that the purpose of al-Qur'an is to be understood and implemented in our daily life. One of the major reason why we moslems are in this current pity and shameful position is because the messages in al-Qur'an is not being implemented. I sponsored thru a private foundation for the improvement of al-Qur'an translation in Indonesian language, set-up an islamic Public Library, and even discuss with ulamas, but still no result or support, it seems reading al-Qur'an is just to get good deed, the content is not sacred. There are more than 900 millions moslem which their mother language is not Arabic, millions have khatam, but do not understand what they are reading. Besides the method of islamic education, another drawback is the quality of the al-Qur'an translation. I made a random study on al-Qur'an translation in 7 languages, it indicates significant errors and inconsistencies, although it was on the same verse and same context. With this forum, I would much like to share experiences and comments with brothers and sisters who have the same concern. Insya Allah there is a methodology and a well defined program that the majority of moslems is interested to understand the messages from Allah contained in al-Qur'an. Wassalamu alaikum wr.wb.

:salam2:

I am with you, many do understand, but not in Arabic. This is why knowing Arabic is important if you really want to know. And I am not talking about spoken Arabic dialects. The Quran is vast in choice of words and vocabs is important.

The number one reason that I have experienced with muslims deviating away, is that they are given a translation then they rely on the understanding of that translator. may Allah reward them for there efforts, I find that certain translators do not have a firm understanding of tafsir of the Quran. Also the Quran explains itself in some cases. Every word is precision and placed with deep meaning. You would only be able to know that by reading tafsir and knowing all the ayat in meaning and context.

That is probably why you find error in the translations.

Also there are many hadiths that inform us on how to understand too.

After all the Quran says pray, but the rasool PBUH showed us how to.

but remember, guidance is from Allah subhanna wata3alla, and it is very important for us to continually pray for guidance and ask for knowledge.

:jazaak: for the reminder.

:wasalam:

imanjama

I am with you, many do understand, but not in Arabic. This is why knowing Arabic is important if you really want to know. And I am not talking about spoken Arabic dialects. The Quran is vast in choice of words and vocabs is important.

The number one reason that I have experienced with muslims deviating away, is that they are given a translation then they rely on the understanding of that translator. may Allah reward them for there efforts, I find that certain translators do not have a firm understanding of tafsir of the Quran. Also the Quran explains itself in some cases. Every word is precision and placed with deep meaning. You would only be able to know that by reading tafsir and knowing all the ayat in meaning and context.

That is probably why you find error in the translations.

Also there are many hadiths that inform us on how to understand too.

After all the Quran says pray, but the rasool PBUH showed us how to.

but remember, guidance is from Allah subhanna wata3alla, and it is very important for us to continually pray for guidance and ask for knowledge.

:jazaak: for the reminder.

Assalamu alaikum wr. wb.
I agree, that reflects the quality of the most translation of al-Qur'an in several languages. I found many strong indications of possible mistakes and inconsistencies on the English translation by Hilali-Khan. Since five years ago I already inform the King Fahd Complex For the Printing Of The Holy Qur'an and also thru the Saudi Arabian Embassy, but no response at all. With those mistakes and inconcistencies, no wonder if the majority of Moslems is not attracted to read the translation or have wrong understanding. Please advice me if anybody knows which Islamic organization have the concern about the al-Qur'an translation.
Wassalamu alaikum wr. wb

Hilali and Khan, translation has a new addition that corrects some errors. I haven't seen it online, but I believe it is in print.

that is the last I heard. What I liked about their translation, is that they include hadith with some of the ayat explanation. This helps me cross reference understanding of the ayah. But I get more information from tafsir.