"Ali Selman 's road to Islam

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Ali Selman 's road to Islam

As Medicine Doctor and from a French Catholic family, has the choice of my profession has given me a scientific culture, that hardly prepared me for a "mysterious" life. Not that I did not believe in God, but that dogmas and rites of Christianity in general, and especially catholic never allowed me to feel His presence. My One God idea of God, allow me not to accept the Trinity dogma (credo), and as a consequence nor divinity of Jesus Christ. Without knowledge of Islam, I already thought the first part of Kalima, La ilaha illa 'Allah (There is no deity but God), and these verses in the Koran:

"Say: God is One. God, is the Eternal; Not He has given birth, and he is not born, and no one is Hans like"

(Koran 112)

So, it was first and foremost metaphysical reasons that I joined me to Islam. Other reasons were also given me to do it. For example, not to accept Catholic priests, who more or less, claiming to possess the power to forgive people's sins to God's mission. Other is that I never could allow the Catholic riten for communion, with (holy bread), which representerde Jesus Christ's body, a ritual which to me seems to belong to a totemistiskt ritual of primitive people, where ancestors carcasses must be consumed after their death, to better able to absorb their personality. Another point that brought me from Christianity, was the absolute silence in terms of cleanliness, especially before the prayer, which for me always seemed to be a insult against God. For if he has given us a soul, he has also given us a body, which we have no right to ignore. The same silence is observed once, mixed with hostility with regard to the physiological life for human beings, in which Islam seemed to be the only religion that takes into account human nature.
The essential and decisive element for my konverting to Islam was the Koran. I began to study it before my conversion, in typical critically west intellectual spirit. I have a lot to thank Malek Bennabi's magnificent book: Le Phenomena Coranique, which convinced me that the Koran was divine revelation. There are many verses in the Koran, appeared for more than 13 centuries ago, which teaches exactly the same concept that today's modern scientists do. This convinced me and converted me to the second part of Kalima:

"Muhammad Rasul 'Allah" (Muhammad is God's envoy).

This was the reason why I presented myself on 20 February 1953 at the Mosque of Paris, where I declared my belief in Islam and was registered as a Muslim mufti of the Paris Mosque, and was given the Islamic name "Ali Selman."

Translation from "Islam, our choice",