Allah's all powerfulness

B.H.

If Allah is all powerful then is he subject to logic? Is logic a creation of Allah or something that exists apart from himself that he is subject to?

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Assalamu'alaykum,

Finally, an easy question. :)

Yunus
Theirs are good tidings in the life of the world and in the Hereafter - There is no changing the Words of Allah - that is the Supreme Triumph. (64)

Al-Burooj
Nay, but those who disbelieve live in denial (19) And Allah, all unseen, surroundeth them. (20) Nay, but it is a glorious Qur'an. (21) On a guarded tablet. (22)

If you do a search on Kalimat Ullah, the realm of Amr, and Lawhun Mahfuz you should find some articles on the difference between the finite and the infinite and the relative and absolute. I may have misspelled the three arbic transliterated terms above, but hopefully it will guide you to the authentic answer. I most leave now. I will try and find the article I read on it the other day.

Talk about pondering the meaning... :)

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Initially, when I read your question it reminded me of the foolishness of atheists who asked ridiculous semantical word plays in logic such as if Allah can do anything can he make a rock that he can't move. These types of questions show the arrogance of Western Minds who think that logic is supreme. Allah, however, is above his creation and therefore not subject to its laws.

Here is how the question was answered on Islam Tomorrow:

Answer:
Allah tells us that "Allah is capable of doing anything that He Wills to do." He can make a rock (or anything for that matter) that is so large or heavy that nothing in the entire universe can move it. As regards Allah "moving" it, He is not in the universe and He does not resemble His creation. Therefore, Allah is never subject to the Laws of the Creation because He is both the Creator and the Law Giver. Whenever He wants anything done, He merely says "Qun! Faya Qun!" (Be! And so it will be!)

You might want to read the next answer as well at that site.

There will always be someone who tries to show their intellectual superiority by setting semantic traps of logic. When my son died, I asked many foolish questions about God. The best advice that I received was from a Theologian friend of mine who was later the dean of worship at Yale or Chicago Theological Institute (I can't remember which). (This mentor of mine was and still is the most educated person I have ever known. He is fluent in more languages than I have fingers. He told me that he too had lost an infant son and that after much intellectual searching his conclusion was that the finite mind of man could not comprehend the infinite "things" of God.

I am not giving you advise as one knowledgeable in Islam (I am a new revert), but I am giving you advise as someone who has lived on this Earth for over a half of a century. Don't allow others to trouble you with such speculative non-sense. Allah is the Creator. He is not as the Christians teach omnipresent which would make Him part of His Creation. There is nothing profitable from such intellectual indulgences. Only doubt, confusion, and frustration can arise.

“Say (O Muhammad): He is Allah, (the Unique) One. Allah, the Eternal (Foundation). He begets not, nor was He begotten; and there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.” (Quran 112)

“He has created the heavens and the earth in truth. High be He Exalted above all they associate as partners with Him.” (Quran 16:3)

“… There is nothing like unto Him…” (Quran 42:11)

“He is the First (nothing is before Him) and the Last (nothing is after Him), the Most High (nothing is above Him) and the Most Near (nothing is nearer than Him). And He is the All-Knower of every thing.” (Quran 57:3)

I hope this was helpful.

Please forgive any "preaching" it is just my style of explaining.

Was Salam