AMERICA... ANY MUSLIM TV PROGRAMS?

Karima

Asalamualikum,

I have sent emails to COX network to allow for 'Bridges' to be put on the air. This is a free satellite program. COX has not put them on, yet.

Does anyone know in America where Muslim channels can be seen? I think Dish Network has Arabic Stations...but I don't want to install a dish, when I am already paying for Cox.

Any suggestions for having Muslims on the local tv shows? We need America TV to represent all three faiths, and not just Jewish and Christian programs.

Salam:hijabi:

KhalidalAsadullah

Al Mujahid
:salam2:

I don't know about american television but i live 30 minutes away from the canadian border and I get this show called "Little Mosque on the Prairie" on the Canadian network. I've only seen 10 minutes of it, it mostly comes on while I'm at work.

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
I wish Virgin Media would add a few Islamic channels (but not the Amidayya (sp?) one. Obviously).

Maybe if enough subscribers ask for it they'll do it.

Who's with me?

mahdi

salam

i think there is a channel called purpose of life which is coming soon, may be in 60 days, it's runned by shiekh khalid yasin

i think there is a channel called purpose of life which is coming soon, may be in 60 days, it's runned by shiekh khalid yasin

shiekh Khalid Yasin is the man! I love his tone, delivery, and the approach he takes to answer questions, plus it's beautiful to see a revert brother that explains both the Islamic and Christian views.

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
No Muslim tv shows here. It wouldn't do for the powers that be to show Muslims as regular people with real lives, joys, and sorrows. This country needs a "boogeyman" across the ocean somewhere to point to and scare their children by. Think about it, our whole history there has been this boogeyman : French, British, Spanish, Germans, Japanese, Russians, Vietnamese...and now...us.

I would not look for such programing here for quite some time.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
salaam,

i don't think you'll see any muslim programming in america without using some type of dish network. here in america we can boast having hundreds of other types of channels, but to have a muslim channel or muslim related programming would be unheard of. when muslims are portrayed in america, it usually isn't portrayed positively. overall, american media doesn't want non-muslim americans to gain the true knowledge of islam. it would be very harmful to their agenda. one thing that people who were born into muslim families should realize is that islam for born muslims has always been a part of life, but the enemies of islam know that islam has the power to change the lives of non-muslims more positively than anything else on this planet. with that knowledge, they can't allow such large scale muslim programming. to show muslims praying five timesa day, giving zakat, abstaining from illicit relationships, drugs and alcohol; would totally destroy the lies that they helped create against muslims.

i am of a mixed race ( black and spanish ) but i do realize that black people are almost always pre-judged. they are the only ones shown in handcuffs, shown to be the only drug dealers etc. it's a lie. yes, there are blacks doing these things, but if you base your idea about blacks by what you see on american tv, you'll believe that all blacks are like that. american media wants to portray muslims as terrorists and fanatics so that americans will believe that's what we as muslims are. the funny thing is that only 20% of all muslims are arabs, but the media will have you believe that all muslims are arab. they just hate islam.

i also have an arab appearance to many people that meet me. they often ask if i'm egyptian. i'm never offended by it because i have seen egyptians that looked like me. but one day, christmas day to be exact, a puerto rican woman was at my store, she didn't speak english, i knew she was hispanic so i helped her in her language. she asked me if i was with the terrorists. i told her that i was indeed a muslim but i was by no means a terrorist. she said that i looked like i was " arabe " arabic in spanish. i told her that i knew that, and i also reminded her that there will be hispanics that look like arabs, because they had a huge empire in the land of our ancestors for over 700 years.

this was troubling for me because i knew that this woman didn't know any muslims and she wasn't trying to be mean, but due to what the media shows muslims as being, she initally thought i was some type of terrorist operative. the evil goals of the evil people in charge of the media indeed have a powerful affect on the american masses. for this reason, we may never see islam portrayed positively on a regular basis on american tv.

i'm sorry for making this reply as large as it is. i just feel very passionate on this matter

JD19

I live in NYC and im always scouring the TV looking for enlighting programs. Unfortunately, there isnt anything. Our Arabic Channel on our cable system (Time Warner) only plays old Arabic movies - which doesnt help me any as I dont speak arabic. Our Indian channel - ITV - has a show that comes on at around 5am that plays recitations from the Quran. Here in Queens - there is sometimes shows about Islam by Muslims on our Public Access channels. Thats the only time I catch anything Islamic on TV.

I hope there is a channel that starts airing positive Islamic teachings and hopefully a multi-faith show as well that shows people the similiarities between us.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brothers and sisters in Islam,

I just like to comment on something brother nyerekareem wrote:

the evil goals of the evil people in charge of the media indeed have a powerful affect on the american masses. for this reason, we may never see islam portrayed positively on a regular basis on american tv.

I think that almost every Muslim will agree with me when I say that the vast majority of Western programs [especially American] just want to portray Islam and Muslims in a very negative way. I agree with brother nyerekareem that Islam may never be portrayed positively on a regular basis on American TV.

The big hope and the good news is that I believe that the importance of TV will diminish, and so Americans will be more exposed to more positive programming about Islam.

Look at YouTube and Google Video and how they transformed the way we see programs. Even if American TV networks didn't air positive programming about Islam on a regular basis, it doesn't have an effect at all on the ability of any American to dowload a video of such positive programs.

The video of the life of Yusuf Islam -shown on the homepage of TurnToIslam- was an abviously American program.

The big problem that still remains are the news networks, especially Fox news. I heard that Stateside CNN [i.e. in America] is quite different than CNN International. Most Americans just follow blindly what thay ssee on these news networks, and few turn to more objective networks, such as the BBC or ITV in the U.K. Still, I believe that will -God willing- change for the better, because the Internet has made the control of TV Networks and traditional media outlets weaker.

So, to sum it all up, be hopeful brothers and sisters. I realise that your frustration comes from your love of Islam. Remeber That Allah the Almighty said:

"It is He who sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth to manifest it over all religion, although those who associate others with Allah dislike it."

[Interpretation of the meanings of the Qur'an 61:9]

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Karima

Asalamualikum,

All of these posts have been interesting to read....thank you. What I would like to see is some form of muslim men/and or women in hijab, being part of the news anchor team...

If the media continues to get their propoganda in 'news stories' and not real people who can report the news who are muslim, how else can non-muslims ever see that muslims are kind and decent people?

If people can discriminate on color, religion, etc. in America, why not in the media? There are now, many shows that push 'gay'....as acceptable. This is so wrong, but in America, it is happening.

I think that muslims can show a good light to others in their daily examples of 'no alchohol' etc. on tv without being 'religious'. Show how they have tea and desserts, how they cook, etc. which is good foods...not haram that non-muslim Americans are not even aware of.

I was wondering how we can get more muslim media into our American tv programs....and how our 'freedom' of belief, can carry through in television.

Salam

suumaya

Asalamualikum,
I think that muslims can show a good light to others in their daily examples of 'no alchohol' etc. on tv without being 'religious'. Show how they have tea and desserts, how they cook, etc. which is good foods...not haram that non-muslim Americans are not even aware of.

Wa alaykum salaam.
Sis they are against that. those people don't want to see anything islam has to afford which is sad because most of them are depressed and need help...

Karima

Asalamualikum,

I could subscribe to online services to add to my existing service, which is what I would like to avoid, since COX has the ablility to provide Islamic television, and chooses not to do so.

It is out of principle not to keep paying for additional services when they could be provided by my carrier for no extra cost....but they refuse this avenue.

I am so thankful for your suggestions.

Salam

almouchie

i feeel for u really
i live in lebanon & sure we have several channels
but i still sometimes find myself looking for something more
i bought a series called ala khudah al rasul= on the prophets footsteps
its in arabic but has english subtitles, its a documentary produced by mbc,
its a great dvd to have especially for msulims who are knew or non arabs that dont know much about the places Prophet lived, fought & died

as for channels, this is Iqra (read), Risalah (message) & they are great because they have programs in english & french for those who dont know arabic, not sure if u can get them for free in america, i will check though

JD19

NYC is going to get Verizon's Fios cable system this year and it carries Bridges TV. How is that channel?

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam alai kum brother nyerekareem, I just wanted to say what you wrote is 100% true. Inshallah one of these days the people of America will know what true Islam is.

Salam

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam alai kum brother nyerekareem, I just wanted to say what you wrote is 100% true. Inshallah one of these days the people of America will know what true Islam is.

Salam

Karima

Asalamualikum,

There are attempts to show others what Islam is all about. Recently, in the Catholic churches, there was a publication about Islam, which was passed out for others to take home to read. It was an accurate synopsis of Islam, with the 5 pillars to explain. This is for the Catholics to understand others' beliefs during their lenten season.

Bridges TV has been trying to get COX to get their 'free' programming, but COX refuses...

I have been able to purchase some English subtitled movies from Arabic DVDs, to watch for entertainment, and for learning more about Islam. If I can share some of these with my non-muslim friends, this can be one step to show others how important Islamic principles are instituted in living.

I still think that having a co-anchor muslim would be a first step in television producers to include 'discussion' about Islam...not to seem to push this on others, but inform others about Islam.

There are WAY TOO MANY yelling preachers on the television cable that COX carries. No one needs to YELL about God/Allah to me on the TV. This is why it is so important for the quiet way muslims aproach Islam to share with others.

I know this post has taken a few angles, but the exposure of Islam is what is important for all to understand...and American television has been unbalanced in this...when there are so many shows which cater to haram topics...

Salam