Are men allowed?

Kurd11

IN ALLAH...WE TRUST.
Are Muslim men alloed to marry outside of Islam?

By the way...this is the BEST website I have EVER been on. With the most WONDERFUL people ever. Thank you all for being sooo NICE!

Kurd11

IN ALLAH...WE TRUST.
muslims are alloud to marry ppl of the book (Jew or christian) and obviously muslims. ;)

People of the book? But according to Allah(swt) doesn't that mean Muslims? I mean the book is the books Allah(swt) send down and their were all for Muslims...But at different times..Right?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalamu Alaykum
Technically, Kurd. The books in their pure forms were for Muslims and the followers were Muslims. However, they deviated from the straight path. But nonetheless the followers of the books still recieved/follow the Holy Book sent from Allah ((SWT), even if they are corrupt).

Muslimah77

Slave of Allah (SWT)
Marriage

:salam2: Brother,

I hope the following article is of help to you insha-Allah:

Who are the women of the People of the Book whom Muslims are permitted to marry?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Abu Ja’far Muhammad ibn Jareer al-Tabari gave a definition of muhsanah in Jaami’ al-Bayaan ‘an Ta’weel Aayi’l-Qur’aan (8/165):

“Muhsanah means the woman who is chaste and pure … one who is chaste and protects her private parts from committing immoral acts, as in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): ‘And Maryam, the daughter of ‘Imraan, who guarded her chastity…’ [al-Tahreem 66:12], meaning that she kept herself above suspicious actions and protected herself from immoral conduct.”

Then he discussed the interpretation of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): ‘… (lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time…’ [al-Maa’idah 5:5]

He said that some others said that what was meant by this aayah (‘… (lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time…’) is chaste women from both groups, whether they were slaves or free. Those who were of this opinion considered it permissible to marry slave women who were Jews or Christians who practised their religions, because of this aayah, but they considered it haraam to marry promiscuous women, whether they were Muslims or from the People of the Book. Then he mentioned reports to support this opinion.

He also said: ‘There was some dispute among the scholars about the interpretation of the phrase and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time… - was this general or specific in application? Some said that it is general and applies to all chaste women, because muhsanaat means chaste women, and a Muslim is allowed to marry any woman of the People of the Book, free or slave, from a country whose people are engaged in hostilities with Islam or from a community which is living under Islamic rule. They use as evidence for this the apparent meaning of the phrase and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time… - taking muhsanaat to mean any chaste woman, whoever she may be. This is the opinion of those who take muhsanaat to mean “chaste women” in this context.

Others say that it refers only to the women of Jewish and Christian communities who are living under Islamic rule. As regards those living in regions that are hostile to Islam, Muslims are not permitted to marry such women.

He mentions an important condition for marrying a woman of the People of the Book, which every Muslim who wants to marry such a woman in a non-Muslim country should pay attention to. This condition is that he should be in a position where he is not afraid that his child will be forced into kufr.

One of the obvious implications of this in our time is that a Muslim should not put himself in a position where he will be forced to raise his child as a kaafir in a non-Muslim country, where a child may be forced to study something about Christianity, for example, or he may be taken to church on Sundays, or the law may be on the side of the non-Muslim woman, allowing her to take her child wherever she wants and raise him in her family’s religion, etc. We ask Allaah to keep us safe from all that and we seek refuge with Him from being forsaken.

Shaykh al-Sa’di said in his Tafseer (commentary on the Qur’aan), 1/458:

“‘… (lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women – i.e., free and chaste - from the believers and chaste women –free and chaste - from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time…’ i.e., from among the Jews and Christians. This is adding specific details to the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): ‘And do not marry al-mushrikaat (idolatresses, etc.) till they believe (worship Allaah alone)…’ [al-Baqarah 2:221].”

As for promiscuous women, those who do not keep themselves chaste and free from immoral sexual conduct, it is not permitted to marry them, whether they are Muslims or from among the People of the Book (Jews and Christians), unless they repent, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Let no man guilty of fornication or adultery marry any but a woman similarly guilty, or an unbeliever: nor let any but such a man or an unbeliever marry such a woman: to the Believers such a thing is forbidden.” [al-Noor 24:3]

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

mohammad javid

p
Are Muslim men alloed to marry outside of Islam?

Assalamu alakium,
we muslims are allowed to marry any body outside Islam. Even if He or She is nonebelivers. But consider this what is going to happen when you have childrens are they going to be brought up as nonebelievers. And if you marry from amongst the people of the Book, meaning Jews what is going to happen when you have Childrens are they gonna go to the Synagogue; Jewish place of worship? and you will go your selfself to the Masjid. OR if you marry a Christian and have Childrens will they go to Church? and you yourself will go to the Masjid?
Transliterations of [ Qur'an 2: 221]

Do not marry Unbelieving women ( idolaters), Until they believe:
A slave woman who believes Is better than an Unbelieving woman,
Even though she allure you.
Nor marry ( your girls) To unbelievers until They believe:
A man slave who believes Is better than an unbeliever,
Even though he allure you.
Unbelievers do ( but ) Beckon you to the Fire.
But Allah ( God ) becons by His Grace To the Garden ( of Bliss)
And forgiveness, And makes His Signs Clear to mankind:
That they may Celebrate His praise.
:shake: :shake: :wasalam:

tdm

I don`t think so today we still have so-called `women of the people of the book` for us to get married with. The Jew and christian`s practice is very much deviated from the original teaching of the scripture. If not, they suppose to practice what muslims are practising now. Therefore, we can only choose to marry muslim women...no other choice.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum.

we muslims are allowed to marry any body outside Islam. Even if He or She is nonebelivers.

This is not a correct statement. If you will kindly read the above post, it might help shed some light on this matter. Men, are allowed to marry chaste women from the People of the Book (i.e. the Jews and Christians). People who are Pagans do not fall under that category. I say this only in order to clear up confusion.

Women as I have heard, please correct me if I am wrong, are not allowed to have non-Muslim husbands, whether they be from the People of the Book or not.

Either way, both parties must be careful when entering such marriages, the best of whom to marry is one who is righteous, so that not only will they help you in your daily life, but also exhort you to do good deeds...

A quote from above fatawa:

He mentions an important condition for marrying a woman of the People of the Book, which every Muslim who wants to marry such a woman in a non-Muslim country should pay attention to. This condition is that he should be in a position where he is not afraid that his child will be forced into kufr.

One of the obvious implications of this in our time is that a Muslim should not put himself in a position where he will be forced to raise his child as a kaafir in a non-Muslim country, where a child may be forced to study something about Christianity, for example, or he may be taken to church on Sundays, or the law may be on the side of the non-Muslim woman, allowing her to take her child wherever she wants and raise him in her family’s religion, etc. We ask Allaah to keep us safe from all that and we seek refuge with Him from being forsaken.

May Allah guide us all in the Straight Path.

Wassalam.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalamu Alaykum
Sister Samihah is correct: women aren't allowed to marry non-Muslims. However, Muslim men are allowed to marry Jewish, Christian, or Muslim women.

I would suggest marrying a Muslimah unless there are ABSOLUTLY no other options. These words are wise: "It's best to marry an ugly Muslimah [Muslim woman, is there a such thing as an ugly one?] than it is to marry a beautiful non-believer" (someone on the forums said this).

You will be able to help that Muslimah grow in her faith, while she will be able to do the same for you. If you marry a non-believer, she'll probably constantly debate you about your religion.

Your child will be able to grow up in Islam. If you marry a non-believer, there will be debate on whether or not your child should be raised a Muslim.

Other differences arise. But know that Muslimahs are chaste women who truly respect you and their religion. They are faithful and kind. Meanwhile, you never know what'll happen with non-believers. When is the last time you've seen a practicing Muslimah go out and commit adultury (and if she has, she has begged for forgiveness and is truly sorry)?

tdm

Assalamualaykum,

To be very honest, husband and wife has to be in the same faith (Islam) to make sure the children won`t turn up to be kafir. If not, things are very difficult to control especially if the other spouse (non-muslim) has strong faith of his/her religion.

If a muslim/muslimah really can`t find a muslim/muslimah to get married, then turn the candidate to a muslim before getting married. It is hard but with the help of Allah, it is possible. I did it. So do many of my frens.

Getting married to a non-muslim is certainly DANGEROUS. It might ruin your own faith! Be very careful on this...

Muslimah77

Slave of Allah (SWT)
Marriage to non-muslim woman

:salam2:

I also would like to mention that I recently heard a Sheikh answer this question for a Muslim brother on live TV. The Sheikh said that he had personally witnessed the problems faced by a Muslim family whose son had died and who was married to a non-Muslim woman. Issues that can arise are:

a) Is the Muslim man going to be cremated or buried?
b) Is the Muslim man's funeral going to take place at the Church or a Masjid?
c) Who gets the right of taking care of the children - the mother who is a non-believer, or the husband's Muslim family?
d) Will the Islamic law of inheritance be accepted by the non-Muslims?

May Allah (SWT) guide us all to the path of rightousness.

:wasalam:

Child of GOD

Wait a minute here................I thought women WERE NOT OPPRESSED! This says exactly what we have been told in America, that women that are muslims have no rights or voice, hello,,,,,,,,been reading here that NO ONE IS OPPRESSED..........THEN why would muslim men tell there women they have to be silent, ...........just curious

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Wait a minute here................I thought women WERE NOT OPPRESSED! This says exactly what we have been told in America, that women that are muslims have no rights or voice, hello,,,,,,,,been reading here that NO ONE IS OPPRESSED..........THEN why would muslim men tell there women they have to be silent, ...........just curious

Assalamu Alaykum
I said "Paul". "Paul" as in the writer of the letter to the Romans in your Bible. You call him a saint. Paul said that, and that has no place in Islam (though it is what Christian women are supposed to do).

Anyways, the question has been answered, and I smell an ugly debate...

Child of GOD

I don't know what or where you actually get that from because in the Bible there are a few very strong opioniated women such as Ester and Ruth among others I have read about.......and you said "Paul",,we have no chapter or book in the Bible of Paul. And no this is not an ugly debate , I was just curious as I said and was confused as to where you got this information.

Child of GOD

Excuse me I missed the fact that you meant Paul in the book of ROMANS, SORRY,,,,,I will read up on that tomorrow. ....but, as I said in the old testament there were women who were very strong, opionated , and actually saved lives.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Hi, Polygamous marriage is also in the Bible and Torah, and it has always been men who could marry more than one. This is the way God intended and it is through his wisdom.

Men are physically different and emotionally different. Thats enough for anyone who thinks about things to understand why it is like so.

Another Response to this objection (from IslamQA):
There is no point in giving a woman the right to marry multiple husbands, rather that is beneath her dignity and she would not know the lineage of her children, because she is the one who bears the offspring, and it is not permissible for the offspring to be formed from the sperm of a number of men lest the lineage of the child be lost and no one will know who is responsible for bringing up the child; this will lead to breakdown of families, loss of ties between fathers and children, which is not permitted in Islam as it is not in the interests of the woman or of the child or of society as a whole.
Al-Mufassal fi Ahkaam al-Mar’ah, part 6, p. 290

----------------------------------

As for women's rights, I think this website is enough of an evidence for that. A lot of the active users of this website are women from the Western world who have become Muslim by their own will. Islam says men and women can be equal spiritually, but their role in life is different. If we are to say both men and women are exactly the same, we will be ignoring the true reality of Allah's creation.

yasmin623

women`s right? Haha...theoritically I have read a lot...Practically when a women get married...Her `right` probably is only staying at home... Her husband has right over her...She can`t go out without her husband`s permission. She can`t of course talk with any man without his husband`s permission. She must always consult her husband before doing whatsoever. Her husband in return, no need to consult her of anything including marrying a second wife...

I never can accept this! Astaghfirullah...:girl3: