art class dilemma

kayleigh

I converted to Islam a little over three months ago, and am currently enrolled in an art class at my school. I've never run in to any problems before, but my teacher just informed us that we'll be starting live figure drawings. Not only that, but she's requiring us all to model in front of the class and have everyone else draw us.

I approached her after class and told her that I couldn't do the modeling part for religious reasons. I explained why and she said she would "have to think about it." If she says that no, I can't be excused from it, there's no way I could go to the school administration since they would contact my parents and my parents really can't know about my conversion at this point in time.

So basically I need advice on how to handle the situation - especially if she decides that I have to model. There's only one male in the class though. If I were the model on a day he was gone, would that be OK, or not because of the whole thing about not drawing people? I'd really hate to ask him to leave the room since that would just be unfair to him.

Thanks for the help.