As Salaam Alaikum my question is there a diffrence between Zakat vs Welfare in the United States and

truthseeker63

As Salaam Alaikum my question is there a diffrence between Zakat vs Welfare in the United States and the Western World ? I ask because in America where I live people say Welfare can and does keep people dependent on the Government or on Hand outs and that it makes the poor people lazy and not want to work or find a job or employment to support themselves my question is how would Zakat in an Islamic State be any diffrent can anyone tell me the diffrence or have a link ? I have also heard and read that in Islamic History that the Caliphate and the Caliph got rid of Poverty and fonund no one to give money to from the State Treasury what does the Islamic Economy do diffrent that works that Western Capitalist Nations don't do ? In a Caliphate can the Poor who get Zakat be helped to find employment or start a business or get a loan or a grant or help to buy or rent a home/house you get my point correct my question is how would Islam's Economics help poor people not be dependent their whole lives because it makes people feel better more happy less depression if they can support themselves by working is being lazy and not wanting to work or trying to take advantage of government services is this haram ?

In addition, the poor and disabled were guaranteed cash stipends. However, in order to avoid some citizens taking advantage of government services, "begging and laziness were not tolerated" and "those who received government benefits were expected to be contributing members in the community."[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayt_al-mal

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As Salaam Alaikum my question is there a diffrence between Zakat vs Welfare in the United States and the Western World ? I ask because in America where I live people say Welfare can and does keep people dependent on the Government or on Hand outs and that it makes the poor people lazy and not want to work or find a job or employment to support themselves my question is how would Zakat in an Islamic State be any diffrent can anyone tell me the diffrence or have a link ?
Wa`alaikum salaam.
There might be a few similarities but, there's a huge difference between the two. Summarized points of what Zakah is (from Islam QA):

1 – Zakaah is enjoined in Islam on specific things, which are: gold, silver, crops, fruits, trade goods and an’aam livestock, i.e., camels, cattle and sheep.
2 – Zakaah is subject to the conditions that one full Hijri have passed since acquiring the wealth, and that the wealth meet the minimum threshold (nisaab), and it is a specific portion of wealth.
3 – Allaah has enjoined that zakaah be given to certain types of people, and it is not permissible to give it to anyone else. They are the people mentioned in the verse (interpretation of the meaning):
“As-Sadaqaat (here it means Zakaah) are only for the Fuqaraa’ (poor), and Al‑Masaakeen (the poor) and those employed to collect (the funds); and to attract the hearts of those who have been inclined (towards Islam); and to free the captives; and for those in debt; and for Allaah’s Cause (i.e. for Mujaahidoon — those fighting in a holy battle), and for the wayfarer (a traveller who is cut off from everything); a duty imposed by Allaah. And Allaah is All-Knower, All-Wise”
[al-Tawbah 9:60]
4 – Whoever dies and owes zakaah, his heirs must pay it from his wealth, and that takes precedence over the will (wasiyah) and inheritance.
5 – The one who withholds zakaah is to be punished, as it says in the hadeeth narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh (987) from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no owner of treasure who does not pay his zakaah, but it will be heated in the Fire of Hell and made into plates with which his sides and forehead will be branded until Allaah passes judgement between His slaves on a Day the length of which will be like fifty thousand years, then he see shown his path and whether it leads to Paradise or to Hell. And there is no owner of camels who does not pay zakaah on them, but a soft sandy plain will be prepared for him and they will be made to step on him. Every time the last of them has gone the first of them will return, until Allaah passes judgement between His slaves on a Day the length of which will be like fifty thousand years, then he will see his path and whether it leads to Paradise or to Hell. And there is no owner of sheep who does not pay zakaah on them but a soft sandy plain will be prepared for him, and he will find none of them missing, with twisted horns or without horns or with broken horns, and they will be made to gore him with their horns and trample him with their hooves. Every time the last of them has gone the first of them will return, until Allaah passes judgement between His slaves on a Day the length of which will be like fifty thousand years, then he will see his path and whether it leads to Paradise or to Hell…”
6 – According to the four schools of law, it is not permissible to give zakaah to one’s ascendants or descendents. Ascendants include one’s mother, father, grandfathers and grandmothers; descendents include one's children and their children.
7 – It is not permissible to give zakaah to one who is rich or who is strong and able to earn a living.
It was narrated that ‘Ubayd-Allaah ibn ‘Adiyy said: Two men told me that they came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) during the Farewell Pilgrimage when he was distributing the zakaah and asked him for some of it. He looked them up and down, and saw that they were strong and able-bodied. He said, “If you wish, I will give you some, but those who are rich or strong and able to earn have no share of it.”
Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1633; al-Nasaa’i, 2598; classed as saheeh by Imam Ahmad and others
8 – In the case of zakaah, it is better for it to be taken from the rich of a land and given to their poor.
9 – It is not permissible to give zakaah to kuffaar and mushrikeen.
10 – It is not permissible for a Muslim to give zakaah to his wife. Ibn al-Mundhir narrated that there was scholarly consensus on this point.
I have also heard and read that in Islamic History that
the Caliphate and the Caliph got rid of Poverty and fonund no one to give money to from the State Treasury. what does the Islamic Economy do diffrent that works that Western Capitalist Nations don't do ?

I'm guessing you're talking about the time of `Umar Ibn `Abdul`aziz here?

They do many things differently, first and foremost, they follow Allaah `azza wa jalla's Laws and not some man-made invention.
They deal justly with everyone. They do not part-take in the haraam (i.e., interest). They have everyone's best interest at heart - they do not seek to gain anything out of it. They are consistent (unlike the man-made laws that gets changed often).
Bottom line: they do everything according to the Qur'aan and Sunnah and when held tightly to these two things, nothing can go wrong.
In a Caliphate can the Poor who get Zakat be helped to find employment or start a business or get a loan or a grant or help to buy or rent a home/house you get my point correct my question is how would Islam's Economics help poor people not be dependent their whole lives because it makes people feel better more happy less depression if they can support themselves by working is being lazy and not wanting to work or trying to take advantage of government services is this haram ?
The thing about Islaam is that everyone who has the (physical and mental) ability to do so must get out and fend for themselves. No one should sit around and hope for food to miraculously appear out of thin air...as `Umar radiyallaahu `anhu once said, "The sky does not rain gold and silver." But the beauty of Islam is also that fellow Muslims should help one other - if one has debt to pay, we help them pay it off, if one is in need of money, we loan it to them, if one is need of shelter, we help them find one. This task of 'lending a hand' does not lie solely on the Khalif, it's a collective duty. Every single act of good we perform to help our brothers and sisters is a form sadaqah (charity).

The prophet :saw: said: “Whosoever relieves from a believer some grief pertaining to this world, Allah will relieve from him some grief pertaining to the Hereafter. Whosoever alleviates the difficulties of a needy person who cannot pay his debt, Allah will alleviate his difficulties in both this world and the Hereafter. Whosoever conceals the faults of a Muslim, Allah will conceal his faults in this world and the Hereafter. Allah will aid a servant (of His) so long as the servant aids his brother..." [Narrated by Abu Hurayrah and reported by Muslim]

“A Muslim is the brother of a Muslim – he does not wrong him nor does he forsake him when he is in need; whosoever is fulfilling the needs of his brother, Allah is fulfilling his needs; whosoever removes distress from a believer, Allah removes from him a distress from a distressful aspect of the Day of Resurrection; and whosoever conceals the faults of a Muslim, Allah will conceal his faults on the Day of Resurrection.” [Bukhari and muslim]

“On the authority of Abu Huraira who said that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him said), “Every small bone of everyone has upon it a charitable act for everyday upon which the sun rises. Bringing about justice between two is an act of charity. Helping a man get on his mount, lifting him onto it or helping him put his belongings onto it, is a charitable act. A good word is a charitable act. Every step you take toward the prayer is a charitable act. And removing a harmful thing from the path is a charitable act.” (Recorded in al-Bukhari and Muslim)

In addition, the poor and disabled were guaranteed cash stipends. However, in order to avoid some citizens taking advantage of government services, "begging and laziness were not tolerated" and "those who received government benefits were expected to be contributing members in the community."

Yes, like I said, if Allaah `azza wa jall has given us the ability, we must become independent rather than being dependent on Zakah, which would better assist people who are in far more need of it than us.

Inshaa'Allaah brother, in the future try and read more Islamic sites instead of Wikipedia.