Assalamu Alaikum - New To This Site

rguyah

Alhamdulillah,
Jazakalakhair to the creators of this site. Very nicely done.
I'm not longer technically new to Islam. I reverted 9/1999 while living in Florida. I suggest to all new Muslims and Muslimahs to take the path of our honored Prophet and be moderate in your approach. Don't overburden yourselves after reverting to Islam. The learning process is part of the blessing of this great religion.

My story in short:
I grew up as a Christian in Jamaica (Not Jamaica, NY but the Island). My family moved to Miami, FL when I was 7 yrs old. From that time until I started college in 1996 I knew nearly nothing about Islam except for the biased view of the Muslims in Palestine whom the American history books brand as terrible animals... in other words. When I started college my dorm mate was a Muslim. Not the best representative of Islam because he smoked, drank alcohol, and went clubbing often. But we later got a suite mate whom was an ideal Muslim. Did everything right. My initial response to both of them was constant arguing about religion. You see, I was a church mouse. I was there 3 times a week, participated in Bible memory competitions, was in the choir, and participated in all church activities -- yeah, and born again.

I gained more Muslim friends as time went by and started going to the on campus Friday prayers to see what it was all about... Dated a Muslim girl - yeah, not the best example of a Muslimah either but that was the Qadr of Allah. They pointed out to me that Pork was forbidden. I read Leviticus over and was finally able to see the rulings about pork and immediately stopped eating it. After reading John regarding the comforter I realized that Jesus told me as a Christian to follow this 'Comforter'. I researched it and then took the next step in religious maturity... became a Muslim to learn from the one whom Jesus spoke of... Prophet Muhammed.

So that's my short story... that was long.

Kareem

*ZAHRA*

MASHALLAH BROTHER AM GLAD U FOUND THE RIGHT PATH....
TO BE HONEST ITS HEART WARMING EACH TIME I HEAR STORIES ABOUT HOW PEOPLE CONVERT TO ISLAM.
MAY ALLAH GUIDE U FURTHER
W/SALAM

THANKS FOR SHARING UR STORY
WELCOME TO THE SITE

Kayote

Alhamdulillah,
Jazakalakhair to the creators of this site. Very nicely done.
I'm not longer technically new to Islam. I reverted 9/1999 while living in Florida. I suggest to all new Muslims and Muslimahs to take the path of our honored Prophet and be moderate in your approach. Don't overburden yourselves after reverting to Islam. The learning process is part of the blessing of this great religion.

My story in short:
I grew up as a Christian in Jamaica (Not Jamaica, NY but the Island). My family moved to Miami, FL when I was 7 yrs old. From that time until I started college in 1996 I knew nearly nothing about Islam except for the biased view of the Muslims in Palestine whom the American history books brand as terrible animals... in other words. When I started college my dorm mate was a Muslim. Not the best representative of Islam because he smoked, drank alcohol, and went clubbing often. But we later got a suite mate whom was an ideal Muslim. Did everything right. My initial response to both of them was constant arguing about religion. You see, I was a church mouse. I was there 3 times a week, participated in Bible memory competitions, was in the choir, and participated in all church activities -- yeah, and born again.

I gained more Muslim friends as time went by and started going to the on campus Friday prayers to see what it was all about... Dated a Muslim girl - yeah, not the best example of a Muslimah either but that was the Qadr of Allah. They pointed out to me that Pork was forbidden. I read Leviticus over and was finally able to see the rulings about pork and immediately stopped eating it. After reading John regarding the comforter I realized that Jesus told me as a Christian to follow this 'Comforter'. I researched it and then took the next step in religious maturity... became a Muslim to learn from the one whom Jesus spoke of... Prophet Muhammed.

So that's my short story... that was long.

Kareem

:salam2:

Wow, Masha'Allah so beautifully said. I loved what you said:

Don't overburden yourselves after reverting to Islam. The learning process is part of the blessing of this great religion.

So true. Thankyou.

Your story is wonderful & its a pleasure for us to have you amongst us as a muslim brother.

:wasalam:

Hajar

Staff member
Assalamu alaykum brother,

First of all welcome to the forum..Its great having you here and inshaAllah you will have a benificial stay!

MashaAllah thank you for sharing your story it always makes me happy to read how people find their way to Islam.

Looking forward to read your post.

wasalaam,

Hajar

rguyah

Alhamdulillah

Thank you for your kind words.

One of the important things in this deen is remembering to never give up. One should never belittle him or herself if your iman fluctuates. The iman is known to go up and down and we all strive for the greatness of iman. I was reminded of that during this past Ramadan as my iman was in the lower of the curve for some time prior to this great month of rejuvination. I call it rejuvination because that is what I received with respect to my iman. A part of this is to never shy away from the Muslims. Never shy away from the Jamat. I didn't realize how important it was to remain around the Masjid and the Muslimeen until this Ramadan. Allah SWT allowed of me to rekindle my love for this deen and allowed my iman to grow considerably. Ramadan is such a blessing... it is really easy to miss it by continuing with life as normal. Alhamdulillah, the brotherhood/sisterhood of our deen is unmatched in this world. Allah SWT has provided us with such an easy path... all we have to do is follow Him and His Prophet.

May Allah accept of our good deeds during this past Ramadan and continue to guide us to that which is good.

Kareem

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam,

Jazakallahu khayr for sharing your story. It was short but very much to the point and really interesting to read.

May Allah bless you and your family and make things easy for all of us, and guide us to the straight path.

You are correct that we should be moderate in our approach, Islam is moderate. If we follow the Quran and the Sunnah and implement Islam in our lives as the Prophet and his companions did, then we will be on the right way inshaallah. For Islam is never at any extremes and is very easy to follow. Infact, the more we understand Islam properly and try our best to be like the Prophet and his companions, the easier it will get inshaAllah.

Take care my brother :) Love you for the sake of Allah.

wasalam

AishaR

Welcome to the site.

Thanx for sharing your story with us & inshallah you will benefit from this site.

Submitter

Subhanallah brother you are so wise already after having reverted. And a great story too. Our Muslim family is growing bigger by the day :D Welcome to the site brother there's a wealth of information here. May Allah keep you on the straight path and further increase your knowledge.