Assalamu aleikum, I'm a muslim for 3,5 years now

Aida1

Assalamu aleikum,

I'm Aida and I'm from the Netherlands. I grew up in the capital, Amsterdam. Three and a half years ago I first officially professed my belief in islam by having my shahadah witnessed in a local mosque. It was the end of a long process of coming to this religion, having always believed in One God, but not knowing where I belonged with the religious convictions I already held. At the age of about twelve I consciously started looking for the religion which fitted my already clear convictions and ideas of God, his message, and the way I felt I had to behave in order to please Him.

I researched all kinds of religions, but came to the conclusion that perhaps I was alone in my ideas of faith. I had never known any muslims personally, because I grew up in an area where the great majority either belonged to a christian denomination (for example, there were a lot of African churches present), or were hindu. It was several years before I learned about Islam as a seperate faith, and then another few years before I actively started researching the religion.

At eighteen years of age I started reading books about islam that contained more than just the 'outlines' of the religion... and it felt like coming home. I finally discovered that the convictions about faith that I already had for many years, were to be found in the Qur'an. What I read just fitted my beliefs and hamdulillah that I got to this religion at last. Allah must have had a purpose in making me wait so long.

At first I just kept on reading. A while later I started practicing a little. It began with praying in the islamic way. Not yet the compulsatory five a day, but one at least every day. After that, I started dressing more modestly. Wanting to learn more, I began visiting women's meetings at a local mosque (the one where I would later take my official shahadah). Fearing I had to be a perfect muslim before I could convert (or revert), I did not dare take my shahadah right away. Later people explained to me that you did not have to be perfect in order to convert, and that it's better to be a muslim first and grow in your practice already being a muslim, rather than wait too long. At the age of 21 I finally took my shahadah hamdulillah. It was the best decision of my life :)

There you have it, my life story :)

Salaam -- Aida --

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa baraakatuh,

Welcome to the website. ma sha Allah, dit is heel prachtige ! mijn nederlands taal is niet zo goed. I have been to the Netherlands a few times, Amsterdam and also the Brabant region. I remember taking a train from Eindhoven to Roosendaal, it was so beautiful and picturesque.

Yes it is true that a person does not have to wait before becoming Muslim. Often people want to become Muslim after they "know a lot" or even after they have learnt to pray. Nobody is perfect and we are always learning. As long as person believes in Allah and the Prophet Muhammad :saw:, they understand that Islam is a way of life, then they should make the shahada.

in sha Allah Aida you will find this website useful and a "second home" !

May Allah make it easy for us all, amin

wasalam

Aida1

Yes, I'm afraid I'm quite the perfectionist sometimes... That's why I felt I had to be perfect in my practice before converting. I was afraid of 'screwing up' my being a proper muslim so to speak. I know it sounds silly, but that's me :lemo: Fortunately people pointed out to me in the mosque that it doesn't quite work like that, hmdl!

How nice to hear you visited the Netherlands. Brabant is indeed quite nice, next time try Overijssel, it's quite beautiful there, or if you are interested in the flat nothingness a landscape can offer, try the province of Groningen. That one is quite empty and flat. Personally I don't like it there, but to each their own :)

Wa salaam

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Assalaamu `alaiki sister Aida!

Mashaa'Allah!! Belated mabrook (congratulations) on your reversion, sister! :) Alhamdulillah that you found your way to Islaam.
I often worry about my revert brothers and sisters in islaam. I've heard about quite a few in my area entering and then leaving islaam and mostly it's due to the 'Muslim-borns'. It's truly saddening. Sister, keep in mind that Muslims aren't "perfect", no one is. You've been a muslim for a while now, =) so I hope you've seen that and it won't cause you any problems in regards to your faith. May Allah subhaanahu wa ta`aala continue to guide us all.

And also welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around! :)

canab1973

Assalamu aleikum,

I'm Aida and I'm from the Netherlands. I grew up in the capital, Amsterdam. Three and a half years ago I first officially professed my belief in islam by having my shahadah witnessed in a local mosque. It was the end of a long process of coming to this religion, having always believed in One God, but not knowing where I belonged with the religious convictions I already held. At the age of about twelve I consciously started looking for the religion which fitted my already clear convictions and ideas of God, his message, and the way I felt I had to behave in order to please Him.

I researched all kinds of religions, but came to the conclusion that perhaps I was alone in my ideas of faith. I had never known any muslims personally, because I grew up in an area where the great majority either belonged to a christian denomination (for example, there were a lot of African churches present), or were hindu. It was several years before I learned about Islam as a seperate faith, and then another few years before I actively started researching the religion.

At eighteen years of age I started reading books about islam that contained more than just the 'outlines' of the religion... and it felt like coming home. I finally discovered that the convictions about faith that I already had for many years, were to be found in the Qur'an. What I read just fitted my beliefs and hamdulillah that I got to this religion at last. Allah must have had a purpose in making me wait so long.

At first I just kept on reading. A while later I started practicing a little. It began with praying in the islamic way. Not yet the compulsatory five a day, but one at least every day. After that, I started dressing more modestly. Wanting to learn more, I began visiting women's meetings at a local mosque (the one where I would later take my official shahadah). Fearing I had to be a perfect muslim before I could convert (or revert), I did not dare take my shahadah right away. Later people explained to me that you did not have to be perfect in order to convert, and that it's better to be a muslim first and grow in your practice already being a muslim, rather than wait too long. At the age of 21 I finally took my shahadah hamdulillah. It was the best decision of my life :)

There you have it, my life story :)

Salaam -- Aida --
Dear sister Aida, welcome to Islam, the way of Allah. May Allah bless you and protect you. I love you in the sake of Allah. Give Greetings to Nederlandse from Canada.

all4islam

Walikum Salam Wa Rahmatuillahi Wa Barakatuhu,

Mash'Allah welcome to this site..May Allah guide you to the straight path..Islam is truly beautiful Alhumdillah

muslimg

Welcome sister Aida to this forum and to islam :)
I have lived in netherland for few years :)
may allah protect you and bless you
wassalam

Aida1

Assalaamu `alaiki sister Aida!

I often worry about my revert brothers and sisters in islaam. I've heard about quite a few in my area entering and then leaving islaam and mostly it's due to the 'Muslim-borns'. It's truly saddening.

Yes I've seen that happening around me too. Often it was because they got overwhelmed with the, often contradicting, 'advice' they got from everyone. Once they know you're a revert, they go after you. Luckily they're not all like that. Some truly want to help you, but there are people with the wrong intentions out there and you've got to be on your guard. The ones I've seen entering and then leaving islam, were the more insecure girls (I don't know any revert men personally), that wanted to please everyone and because of that forgot they were doing it for Allah (swt), and not for all those other people. Luckily I've never really cared what other people thought of me, and did a lot of research before I actually went to meetings in person. I didn't let people rush me into things and all did it at a pace I was comfortable with. People of all sorts (I won't specify) tried to 'win' me for their cause when I first went to the mosque and to meetings about islam elsewhere. I'm happy to say they failed and I remained true to what I believed before I met those people and that I did not let me be persuaded to deviate. I hope I'm on the right path inshallah and I always want to learn more about islam (one of the reasons I joined this forum). In the end the most important thing is to remember and praise Allah and not to get distracted by other people.

May we all find guidance from Allah (swt) :hijabi: