At the Doorstep of Knowledge

Abu Abdillah

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is reported from ‘Abdullâh ibn. ‘Abbâs – May Allâh be pleased with them – that he said:

After Allâh’s Messenger :saw: passed away, I said to a man from the Ansâr, “Come, let us ask [and learn from] the Prophet’s Companions, :saw: , for they are many in number today.”

He replied, “I am surprised at you Ibn ‘Abbâs – do you really think people need you when there are so many Companions of the Prophet? :saw:

So he did not involve himself in this endeavor, but I busied myself asking [the Companions about issues].

If I heard of a hadîth being reported by a man, I would come to him and if he was taking his midday nap I would lay down my garment and lie outside waiting for him, with the wind blowing dust in my face.

The man would come out [for Dhuhr] and see me in that state, and he would exclaim, “O nephew of Allâh’s Messenger! What has brought you here?

You should have sent for me and I would have come to you!” I would say, “Rather I should come to you [to seek knowledge].”

I would then ask him about the hadîth I heard. The man [who I originally invited to seek knowledge with me] remained as he was, and when he saw how people would gather around me [to seek knowledge]

He said, “For sure, this young man was more intelligent than me.”

Al-Dârimî, Al-Sunan Vol. 2 p129.

salahdin

ABOUT ABDULLAHI IBN ABBAS (r:a)

was not only in the collection of hadith that Abdullah specialized. He devoted himself to acquiring knowledge in a wide variety of fields. He had a special admiration for persons like Zayd ibn Thabit, the recorder of the revelation, the leading judge and jurist consult in Madinah, an expert in the laws of inheritance and in reading the Quran. When Zayd intended to go on a trip, the young Abdullah would stand humbly at his side and taking hold of the reins of his mount would adopt the attitude of a humble servant in the presence of his master. Zayd would say to him: "Don't, O cousin of the Prophet."

"Thus we were commanded to treat the learned ones among us," Abdullah would say. "And Zayd would say to him in turn: "Let me see your hand." Abdullah would stretch out his hand. Zayd, taking it, would kiss it and say: "Thus we were commanded to treat the ahl al-bayt members of the household of the Prophet."

As Abdullah's knowledge grew, he grew in stature. Masruq ibn al Ajda said of him: "Whenever I saw Ibn Abbas, I would say: He is the most handsome of men. When he spoke, I would say: He is the most eloquent of men. And when he held a conversation, I would say: He is the most knowledgeable of

men."