Bahira the Monk: Islamic History Photos from Syria.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Garamond, Times New Roman, Times]Bahira the Monk [/FONT][/FONT]

:salam2: Here i will like to share with you some photos i took from Syria. These ones are from an old city called Bosra. It is in Southern Syria. In the old days Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Palestine were all parts of what used to be known as Shaam. You will often see this mentioned in Hadith.​

What follows is a story based on the Prophet Muhammad :saw: early life. The text is from a book called Raheeq al Makhtoom (the sealed nectar) by Shaykh Mubarakpuri. The Actual Hadith evidence is given in
[Ibn Hisham 1/180-183; Za'd Al-Ma'ad 1/17]

This First Photo is of Bosra, an Ancient Roman City, it is where people would travel to from all over the world, including from Arabia and beyond. The Prophet :saw: family was that of traders and his Uncle Abu Talib would often come visit here to do business. :

syria263edited.jpg

When the Messenger of Allah [SAW] was twelve years old, he went with his uncle Abu Talib on a business journey to Syria. When they reached Busra (which was a part of Syria, in the vicinity of Howran under the Roman domain) they met a monk called Bahira (his real name was Georges), who showed great kindness, and entertained them lavishly.

This is an ancient Roman Road Thousands of years Old
syria224edited.jpg

He had never been in the habit of receiving or entertaining them before. He readily enough recognized the Prophet [pbuh] and said while taking his hand: "This is the master of all humans. Allah will send him with a Message which will be a mercy to all beings." Abu Talib asked: "How do you know that?" He replied: "When you appeared from the direction of ‘Aqabah, all stones and trees prostrated themselves, which they never do except for a Prophet. I can recognize him also by the seal of Prophethood which is below his shoulder, like an apple. We have got to learn this from our books." He also asked Abu Talib to send the boy back to Makkah and not to take him to Syria for fear of the Jews. Abu Talib obeyed and sent him back to Makkah with some of his men servants.

This is the Monastry of Bahira the Monk. In Syria. It was Bahira who noticed how special the Prophet would be.

syria253edited.jpg

Inside the Monastry, it is still standing today despite being 1000s of years old
syria255EDITED.jpg

Of course we know that before the Prophet :saw: had the Nubuwa (Prophethood) there still existed a few Christians who followed the Correct monotheistic path and who did not associate partners with Allah. They were "Muslims".​

This was the message of Islam. Islam is not a new religion, but a message God sent down to mankind through all his messengers from Adam through to Abraham, Jesus and the last and final messenger of Allah Muhammad :saw:. However with the Prophethood of Muhammad :saw:, and the relevation of the Qur'aan, the message of Christianity is over, and Muhammad :saw: and belief in Islam is the key to true faith in God and ultimately to paradise.​

This was whom Bahira and other Christians who were sincere in their faith were Expecting. The Final Messenger of Allah, Muhammad may peace and blessings be upon him and his family.​

Wasalamu Alaykum,​

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Some More Photos from Bosra, These ones are of a Roman theatre, one of the best preserved in the world.... Alhamdulilah there were no Tourists when i was taking these photos (i think they are scared of syria lol) :

syria288edited.jpg

Another view.. Around 5000 people can sit here

syria285edited2.jpg

:salam2:
Yes Bahira was the Monk who recognized the Prophet :saw:
nice archeologicals sites, thank you brother for sharing those uniques pics
:jazaak:

Abul Harith

Staff member

:jazaak: for the post. Nice to see the pictures of some historical Islamic sites. We hear and read about the story of Bohairah and how he foretold the prophecy of Muhammad :saw: Now we can see the pics where it took place.

:wasalam:

Mu2min

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Adil said:
it's not islamic sites it's Roman sites and also belong to Byzance empire i think
:wasalam: yes you are right, but in the context of this story, it is relevant to the Muslims historically.

I think this is what Mu2min meant :)

Wasalam

lucia

guriya

The pictures are very beautiful and historical ,I was wondering if u guys know where to get pictures of the khaana kaba .
feemanillah:)

omar786

Pictures

Nice Pictures

i thought we were not allowed to take pictures as the prophet of islam mentioned this, then why do you take pictures and post it on this site arent you lot making shirk and bidah like the saudi wahhabies used to say to the ottomans

Imad

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wabaraktuh,

Jazakallahu gairan mambsoot, beautiful pictures.
May Allah give me and you more knowledge brother Omar.

Wassalmoalaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh

Globalpeace

Banned
Hurt!

Asslamo Allaikum,

Masha'Allah these pictures took me back in time to when I was in Syria.

But it also hurt me because in Saudia History is being destroyed everyday. I don't want to go on Wahabi-bashing & Pro-Sufee/Barelwee vibes; but I actually like history.

I think its good & its a shame when it goes!

hajr4

:salam2: brother

Jazakallah for sharing such beautifull pictures. You are very lucky to have visited such a historic place of which we only read about. May allah give you the strength to carry on with the good work that you are doing. Ameen

P.S am looking forward to seeing more beautifull pictures of historic places inshallah