BBC News Article about lack of Hygiene!!!!!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2:

Just reading the news today, seems many of the disbelievers are quite unhygenic and yucky! I put the News article further down....

Muslims have to keep clean, Allah tells us in the Qur'an:

"Surely God loves those who repent, and He loves those who are always pure." (Qur'an 2:222)

"A mosque which was founded upon piety from the very first day is more worthy be stood in. In it are men who love to purify themselves, and God loves those who purify themselves." (Qur'an 9:108)

Islam teaches us to keep clean and hygenic, that includes from how we go to the bathroom through to doing ablution for our prayers.

Infact, it is not possible for Muslims to pray in dirty state, i.e. without washing.

Read this link for more information:

Hold Your Bottle High!

The Prophet :)saw: Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: "Allah does not accept Prayers without purification." [Note: Reported by Muslim and Ibn Majah on the authority of Ibn `Umar, also by Ibn Majah on the authority of Anas and Abi Bakrah and also Abu Dawud, Al-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah on the authority of the father of Abi Al Malih, Sahih Al- Jami' Al-Saghir, No.7746]

Narrated Abû Mâlik Al-Hârith bin Âsim Al-Ash’ari: Allah’s Messenger said, “Cleanliness is half of Faith; the utterance of Allah (Al-hamdu lillah – all praise belongs to Allah) fills the scales of good actions; the utterance of Allah (Glory be to Allah and all praise belongs to Allah) fills the space between the heavens and the earth, and Salât (prayer) is light; and charity is the proof of Faith; and endurance is a light, and the Qur’ân is a plea in your favour or against you. Every person begins the morning ready to strike a deal with his soul as a stake; he either ransoms it or puts it into perdition.” (Muslim)

Islam places a Minimum Limit on how many times a person should bathe. A Muslim should wash AT LEAST Once in a week. This is obligatory.

Here is the BBC News Article>>
----------------------------------------------------------

More than one in four commuters has bacteria from faeces on their hands, an investigation suggests.

Scientists from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine swabbed 409 people at bus and train stations in five major cities in England and Wales.
The further north they went, the more often they found commuters with faecal bacteria on their hands - men in Newcastle were the worst offenders.
Experts stressed the importance of hand hygiene for preventing illness.
The bacteria found suggested people were not washing their hands properly after using the toilet, said the researchers.

Toilet hands
In Newcastle and Liverpool, men were more likely than women to show contamination - 53% of men compared with 30% of women in Newcastle and 36% of men compared with 31% of women in Liverpool.
In the other three cities - London, Cardiff and Birmingham - the women's hands were dirtier.

People who had used the bus had higher rates of hand contamination than those who had used the train.

Manual workers had cleaner hands than other professionals, students, retired people or the unemployed.

Dr Val Curtis, director of the Hygiene Centre at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: "We were flabbergasted by the finding that so many people had faecal bugs on their hands.

"The figures were far higher than we had anticipated, and suggest that there is a real problem with people washing their hands in the UK.

"If any of these people had been suffering from a diarrhoeal disease, the potential for it to be passed around would be greatly increased by their failure to wash their hands after going to the toilet."

Professor Mike Catchpole, director of the Health Protection Agency's Centre for Infections, said: "These results are startling and should be enough to make anyone reach for the soap.

"It is well known that hand washing is one of the most important ways of controlling the spread of infections, especially those that cause diarrhoea and vomiting, colds and flu.

"People should always wash their hands after using the toilet, before eating or handling food, and after handling animals. And remember to cover all cuts and scratches with a waterproof dressing."

Winter vomiting

The HPA's monitoring of infections over recent weeks suggests that cases of norovirus - the winter vomiting bug - are rising and that the annual norovirus season is likely to have begun.
Norovirus is the most common cause of gastrointestinal disease in the UK with peak activity in terms of numbers of cases and outbreaks during the winter months, from October to March.
It has been estimated that between 600,000 and a million people in the UK are affected each year.

Professor Catchpole said: "Norovirus is highly infectious and easily spread in settings where people are in close contact with one another so good hygiene, including frequent handwashing, is really important."
The study was part of the world's first Global Handwashing Day, dedicated to raising awareness about the importance hand hygiene plays in public health.

D.Ahmed

Believer
Asalaamu alaikum Brother.

Yeah I read about that today and it doesn't surprise me much, I personally don't try and touch anything when there's something where i know alot of people have touched like public toilet door handles or holding on to the sides of the escalators im paranoid like that lol. I'm glad it didn't say anything about Manchester although there are alot of chavs that live here. stay clean :)

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: unfortunately, it is terrible the amount of people that don't wash even their hands after using the toilet, ugghh.

Islam really is a way of life as it goes into the details of something that one could assume would be minor such as handwashing but how important it is!

Also, Prophet Isa (Jesus), peace be upon him, also performed ablutions before prayer but somehow this practice got lost along the way as I don't think there are any ritual ablutions before prayer for any branches of Christianity I know of today. When I was Catholic, there was a little font outside the church of "holy water" and one would dip just finger tips and make the sign of the cross before entering the church. I have since wondered if the font did not have some roots in Prophet Isa's practice of ablution that changed like so many things over the course of time.

The beauty of Islam is that even wudhu was laid out for us in great detail and we perform it today as our beloved Prophet Mohammed and his Companions performed it 1400 years ago :) Alhamdulillah for Islam and Qur'an and Sunnah, our sacred manual for every situation :)

:wasalam:

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: again! also, let's do our best to keep our surroundings clean and not to contribute to modern day pollution and littering. when i am better established here in paris, i am going to try to do something about dog "litter" all over the streets. it is simply disgusting. every morning i am taking my children to school, it is like an obstacle course and no-one seems to be as bothered about it as me and my children are. one thing that was good in florida when i lived there is that dog "litter" was not tolerated and dogowners must clean up their mess.

it also reminds us that the Islamic practice of removing the shoes we wear outside before entering the house or masjid is very, very important too :)

:wasalaam:

AAminAA

Amatullah

Dzezzak Allah Khajr for sharing.

It's very sad condition in our masdjeeds, SubhanAllah ! :( Hygiene is one part of our iman, but not many of us take it seriously. The places were we pray ( mostly the parts of masdjeed were sisters are ) are for crying. Bathrooms are disasters ! I understand that most of us have 3,4,5 kids, and we have to bring them to masdjeed,we have to learn, but looking around in local masdjeed i get scence that many ladies come to the mosque not only for prayer, but for chating with other sisters and when imam is giving the lecture we can't hear anything ! No one takes care about kids who are runing around, spilling the drinks, messing everything... very sad :( And when it comes to cleaning, no one offers the help ! If you bring the kids with you, keep the masdjeed clean ! Respect mosque/ masdjeed ! That are the places were we worship Allah ! That are places were maybe someones friend who is not muslim wants to come and see , and what they can see subhan'Allah !? After lookling aroud masdjeed i wonder how is at home ? Lack of pespect to Allah, lack of fear of Allah... Lack of respect to Islam !

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Hamdulillah for Islam .It teaches us everything :)

Thanks for the article

waaleikum salam

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

2181.gif
2181.gif
2181.gif
2181.gif

Eew, Need I say more. I can honestly say not surprised. People laugh at the muslims for being so clean and some of them are walking around with feces on their hands. Now what sense does that make. Huh, none.

Jazak Allah Khair Akhi
Wasalam Amirah80

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
There is no word in any other language which is equivalent of the Arabis word "Taharah".
English words purification or ablution come close but still do not carry the width that the Arabic word Taharah does, because it encompasses all aspects of one's living.

I don't understand why someone will not wash their hands properly after going to the toilet, and have bacteria from faeces on their hands, yuk!

I have a question here... In the west people do not wash their private parts after they are done, they use tissue paper instead which is no match for washing, while in the Muslim world people wash. So the question is does using tissue paper adds to the tendency of not washing their hands?

As a Muslim one has to wash their butts etc, because one cannot pray without washing their butts after potty. Is here anybody who was not aware of this?
Just curious.
:wasalam:

meer suhail

ILM seeker
Asalam o Alykum
ahh good one ,
yup muslims are by far the cleaniest human ,,,
taking baths ,5 times wudu, washing hands before and after taking food ,etc etc
.,;phew as for me ,the first thing i do when i get home ,when i take bus ,go straight to toilet and wash hands with soap ,,,hehe

pcozzy

Although this article speaks of UK I can assure you it is a similar experience in the USA.

I always have in my car a hand sanitizer, and my wife carries one in here purse. We use it as means to temporarily clean until we get to soap and water. Eating from restaurants is another problem to keep in mind, I don't think people change their daily habits when they go to work, we eat only at the places we know have the best standards in place and more over are muslim managed.

Alhamdilillah

Thanks for the reminder of the blessings that Allah has given us.

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

Although I haven't been to the UK to comment on the article directly, my American friends and I here in Kuwait are absolutely disgusted at the Kuwaiti women (yes, Kuwaiti women, not just women in Kuwait) that do not wash their hands after using a public toilet.

Seriously, I went to the movies with my husband, and went in the bathroom after the show (when it is like JAM PACKED full of people). One by one, Kuwaiti young ladies emerged from the toilet stalls, went to the mirror and adjusted their scarves, lipstick, eye make-up, ALL WITHOUT WASHING THEIR HANDS!!!

And don't even argue that maybe they didn't get "anything on themselves" because even if I go in a public bathroom to adjust my scarf, I wash my hands, because the public bathrooms are nasty - even if you were clean yourself, you don't know who touched the door handle before you! And this was not a one-time occurrence; In 6 years in Kuwait, I would probably guess that I have seen fewer than 100 Kuwaiti women wash their hands in a public bathroom (nor do they have the children wash their hands). The nannies will wash their hands; the nannies will have children wash their hands; American ladies wash their hands; Filipina women wash their hands; other foreign ladies wash their hands. I have no clue why so many Kuwaiti women generally don't. It is gross - I told my husband I hate to take/shake the hand of Kuwaiti women (even his relatives) because of this.

I guess we chalk it up to a "Islam is perfect, Muslims are not" situation. *sigh*

Lana

Maryam Sayyidina

:ma: so people mostly don't really care about them self all all over the world, cross race or nation even faith.
If Islam already guide us to this hygiene guidance, then why should we ignore it. Start from yourself than promote the good habit to your surrounds. And start now by cleaning your mouse and keyboard regularly.

Believer

People who had used the bus had higher rates of hand contamination than those who had used the train.

Dr Val Curtis, director of the Hygiene Centre at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: "We were flabbergasted by the finding that so many people had faecal bugs on their hands.

oh disgusting, I know this is a London based experiment, but I’m sure it is the same case everywhere – how gross, I use the bus to get to uni all the time. I think from now on I will be carrying baby wipes with me, even though I try my best not to touch anything in public places (e.g. handles, doors, bus poles etc.)