Be Positive and Cheerful

Abu Sabaayaa

In the first chapter of 'Kitab at-Tawhid,' Muhammad bin 'Abd al-Wahhab mentions the hadith of Mu'adh where the Prophet said to him: "The right of Allah upon the servants is that they worship Him and associate none with Him, and the right of the servants upon Allah is that He will not punish them if they do not associate anything with him," and Mu'adh said: "O Messenger of Allah, shall I not give the people the good news?"

In the 17th comment on this chapter, he refers to this hadith and how it shows "the virtue of giving the Muslim good news that will make him happy."

In 'Taysir al-'Aziz al-Hamid' (p. 46), Sulayman bin 'Abdillah commented on Mu'adh's saying "...shall I not give the people the good news?" by saying: "It shows the practice that the Companions were upon of giving each other cheerful news."

In al-'Uthaymin's 'al-Qawl al-Mufid 'ala Kitab at-Tawhid' (1/32), he commented on the same phrase, saying:

"This shows that giving people cheerful news is something required when it comes to making people happy in both worldly and religious issues. This is why the Angels gave Ibrahim good news where Allah Said: {"...and they gave him glad tidings of an intelligent son, having knowledge."} [adh-Dhariyat; 28] and this was Ishaq, and the patient one was Isma'il. And the Prophet gave his family the good news of the birth of his son Ibrahim, saying: "A boy was born for me tonight, and I gave him the name of my father Ibrahim." What we learn from this is that a person should bring about joy upon his Muslim brothers as much as possible through words and actions, and this will result in a lot of goodness, relaxation, and tranquility and openness of the heart.

Likewise, he should not bring about negativity upon the Muslim, and this is why it was narrated from the Prophet: "None of you should talk to me about another person, as I like to come out to you while my heart is clean." Although this hadith contains some weakness in its chain, its meaning is correct, because if you hear something bad about someone, your heart will automatically be uneasy with him even if he deals with you in a good way. However, if you deal with him without knowing the bad things he has done and there is no danger in dealing with him, this will be much better and he might be more likely to accept your advice, as our hearts are quicker in being turned off from each other than our bodies are.

These are very specific points that are only clear to the intelligent one who reflects..."

And the Messenger of Allah said: "The best actions are to cheer up your believing brother, to relieve him of a debt, or to feed him." ['Sahih al-Jami''; # 1096]