beard?

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

I'm not sure what the question is about but if it is about letting the beard grow and whether it is Haraam or not then,

Question

I request your Eminence to make clear the ruling on shaving the beard, or removing anything from it, and what is the legislated area of the beard?

Answer

Shaving the beard is forbidden, because it is disobedience to the Messenger of Allah :saw:, for the Prophet :saw: said:

"Grow your beards and shorten your moustaches."

[Ahmad 2/52]

And because it is a departure from the guidance of the Messengers to the guidance of the Zoroastrians and the polythiests. The legislated area of the beard is as defined by the scholars of the language, which is that it is the facial hair, the jaws and the cheeks, that is, the hair on the cheeks, jaws and chin - all of that is the beard. And removing anything from it is an act of disobedience and also, because the Messenger :saw: said:

"Grow your beards."

[Ahmad 2/52]

and:

"Leave your beards."

[Muslim no.260]

and:

"Let your beards..."

[Al-Bukhari no2 5892]

and

"Expand your beards..."

[Muslim no.259]

- and this proves that it is not permitted to remove anything from it; however, acts of disobedience differ, so shaving is worse than removing part of it, because it is a greater sin and clearer violation than removing a part of it.

Ibn Uthaimin (May Allah have mercy on him)

Question

What is the ruling on shaving the beard?

Answer

The Prophet :saw: said,

"Shorten your moustaches and grow your beards."

[Ahmad 2/52]

And he included among the ten characteristics of the Fitrah: trimming the moustache and growing the beard. And the beard of the Prophet :saw: was thick. And Allah, the Most High says that Harun said:

"O son of my mother! Seize (me) not by my beard, nor by my head!"

[Ta Ha 20:94]

(The Fatawa after this quite similar to the first up until the final point.)

So the shaver or the one who trims it has violated that obedience and committed an act of disobedience, therefore he must turn to Allah in repentance and remorse, and Allah turns in forgiveness to those who repent to Him. And Allah knows best.

Ibn Jibreen.

Source - Fatawa Islamiyah, Volume 8, Rulings Regarding the Beard, pg. 233 - 235 (For both rulings)

You can refer to this Fatawa as well.

http://www.fatwaislam.com/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=115

And, the biography of Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him).

http://www.fatwa-online.com/scholarsbiographies/15thcentury/ibnuthaymeen.htm

Walaykum Salaam.