"best sect" an Oxymoron?

wantobeMumin

have a simple question for everyone.

I hear most Muslims talk about the 'best sect', the 'right sect', the 'one sect' to follow ... out of the so many sects out there (73 at the max as prophecized).

So isn't the term "best sect" an Oxymoron?
QUOTE("Definition of Oxymoron")
oxymoron [oksi‐mor‐on] (plural ‐mora), a figure of speech that combines two usually contradictory terms in a compressed paradox, as in the word bittersweet or the phrase living death
- Definition from Answers.com

Anyone who wishes to comment, please first think about it and then reply. I am sure your sect is the most righteous one out there ... that only UR sect is truest to the path of Allah, but I don't want to hear that. Save that self-righteousness for other threads.

To me, "best sect" is contradictory to the most basic tenants of Islam, in which Allah has specifically asked the ummah NOT to split up into sects.

Oh and if someone is going to cite some hadeeth, please keep in mind that what Allah has said in the Quran can be 'supported' in a Hadeeth, but cannot be superseded by a Hadeeth. So if the Prophet (SAW) had said that there will be 72/73 different sects and one of them will be right ... that doesn't mean that we have to have to choose a sect!

Come to think of it, what are the odds of your sect being 'the best one', the 'most righteous one'? Just 1 out of 73!! That's pretty bad actually! That translates into just 1.4% chances that you are the right one! Whereas 98.6% chances are that you are wrong!! That you were just like the disbelievers ... that you had gone astray ... that you were lied to and misled into believing the wrong things, that you knowingly ignored Allah's order NOT to get divided into sects!

yasin67

:salam2:
2. For, Believers are those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a tremor in their hearts, and when they hear His revelations rehearsed, find their faith strengthened, and put (all) their trust in their Lord;
3. Who establish regular prayers and spend (freely) out of the gifts We have given them for sustenance:
4. Such in truth are the Believers: they have grades of dignity with their Lord, and forgiveness, and generous sustenance:

Quran -(Anfaal)8/2,3,4 ( ENGLISH ) ( BY A. YUSUF ALI )

I think this is the best explanation.

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
LOL.....

When I first became Muslim about 3 years ago.....I didn't even know sects existed. I read the Quran and Sunnah and that was it. someone would ask me what sect are you? I said, NONE I am a MUSLIM. So someone would ask me, well are you Sunni or Shia? I said NONE I am a MUSLIM......so someone would ask me, well do you subscribe to the Hanifi school, the Salafi school, or?? I said NONE I am MUSLIM.

Someone would say, well what do you think about such and such? and I would say, what does the Quran say? I am a MUSLIM.

I guess no one that was born a Muslim, can understand that you can be Muslim without belonging to a sect. You can be JUST MUSLIM and listen to the Quran. It tells you all you need to know. The confusion and fighting come in when someone says, but you have to believe this way or that. Or they say this skaykh or that says this way. Sorry, they are men, the Quran tells me how to think and answers all my questions. I can form my own thoughts and opinions about what it says without someone telling me what to believe. Actually Islam is so easy, once you take out all the junk......it is a beautiful religion. So, I am A MUSLIM.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
When I first became Muslim about 3 years ago.....I didn't even know sects existed. I read the Quran and Sunnah and that was it. someone would ask me what sect are you? I said, NONE I am a MUSLIM. So someone would ask me, well are you Sunni or Shia? I said NONE I am a MUSLIM......so someone would ask me, well do you subscribe to the Hanifi school, the Salafi school, or?? I said NONE I am MUSLIM.

Someone would say, well what do you think about such and such? and I would say, what does the Quran say? I am a MUSLIM.

I guess no one that was born a Muslim, can understand that you can be Muslim without belonging to a sect. You can be JUST MUSLIM and listen to the Quran. It tells you all you need to know. The confusion and fighting come in when someone says, but you have to believe this way or that. Or they say this skaykh or that says this way. Sorry, they are men, the Quran tells me how to think and answers all my questions. I can form my own thoughts and opinions about what it says without someone telling me what to believe. Actually Islam is so easy, once you take out all the junk......it is a beautiful religion. So, I am A MUSLIM.

Mashallah,Mashallah dear sister for your Love for Allah,and for your right thinking.

I am ONLY MUSLIM,and I am very proud to be one Alhamdulillah.

May Allah bless you.

Salam.

salek

i am a born muslim and i am agree with sister ALEAH KOTO 100 percent. thanks sister for your nice comment. that's the way DR. ZAKIR NAYEK answered about sects.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
i am a born muslim and i am agree with sister ALEAH KOTO 100 percent. thanks sister for your nice comment. that's the way DR. ZAKIR NAYEK answered about sects.

I've read Dr Zakir's book also and agreed with his views. May Allah unite us all.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member

salam aleikum sister
I agree with you also ,but one very important thing you forgot to mention ,that Quran tells us to follow the Sunnah of our Beloved Prophet ,peace be upon him .We cannot abbandon it ...
Islam is easy ,just follow Quran and the Sunnah of the Prophet ,peace be upon him..And all the scholars and school of thoughts they just teaching us the Sunnah ...There is nothing wrong with .You dont have to follow blindly any scholar or madhhab .If you simply dont understand something about Islam then you have to ask the people of knowledge .Its simple .But its wrong to abandon the Sunnah ...
There ar so many sects now and division among muslims is because they abandoned the Sunnah ...
If everyone will open Quran and take whichever they like for themselves and leave whichever they don't like ,then Islam would be diffeent for each one..
The hadeeths explain the Quran .How to pray ,How to do Hajj and etc...
Sister Do you know arabic ?
Have you read and completely understood the Quran ,every word of it?

waaleikum salam

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)

aslam o alikum
sis/bro is exactly right there are no sects in Islam ... A muslim follows the Quran and the Sunnah which has been preserved for 1400 years so thats all you need to follow :) and you are none you are just a muslim :) and so am I :) alhumdulilah

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

By following Quran you have to follow Sunnah, you cannot just follow the Quran and abandon Sunnah, because then it is a contradiction in itself.

Anywayz, The OP didn't take into account that majority of the Muslims do not fall into 'sects' they are ordinary Muslims who are doing salah, zakat, hajj, sawm, etc.....They have minor differences here and there but none of these are Aqeedah issues. Majority are the people of Ahlus Sunnah (those who follow Quran and Sunnah).

They don't align themselves to a particular sect and say "im this and that".
Sects do exist, and it's unfortunate that they do, but if you folllows Quran and Sunnah then you do not fall into that category of being part of a 'sect'.
Very simple.

Long story short, if these things confuses you and are a source of fitnah for you then don't get involved in it jus stick to Quran and Sunnah with your molar teeth.

:wasalam:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
When Rasulallah (SAW) said about only one sect being the true path (in Islam), he was referring to his Sunnah, and that is: Ahlus as Sunnah Wa al Jamah, and the rightous followers, the Salaf as Salih.

And LoL brother, I'm not going to argue if what Rasulallah (SAW) said was an oxymoron (because I don't see it as one but you do, so it would be a pointless argument), but I will say that: When Rasulallah (SAW) said that, he meant that there will be 73 divisions amongst the Muslims, and what he means is that 72 of them are all from innovations (and therefore not of his Sunnah), and that is why it will lead people into Jahanam, but only one of the divions will be admitted into Paradise, and by that he meant HIS Sunnah, Al Hikmah. Because Rasulallah (SAW) said that no Nabi would come after him, and Allah Ta Alla said to him, "Today I have perfected your religion, and chosen for your religion to be al Islam," and Rasulallah (SAW) told his companions and the Muslims that Islam has been completed (that's the main tragic reason why he had to die :(), so Muslims must follow what he has taught, and anyone who teaches something that he hasn't taught (by what his Rabbi taught him through Jibril A.S) has made an innovation (in Islam), and to stay away from that!

So Inshallah this has helped you brother, and also the sisters.

And by the way, Mashallah, I admired the attitude you had sister Aleah Keto. :)

Assalamu Alykum. :)

a_stranger

have a simple question for everyone.

I hear most Muslims talk about the 'best sect', the 'right sect', the 'one sect' to follow ... out of the so many sects out there (73 at the max as prophecized).

So isn't the term "best sect" an Oxymoron?

Anyone who wishes to comment, please first think about it and then reply. I am sure your sect is the most righteous one out there ... that only UR sect is truest to the path of Allah, but I don't want to hear that. Save that self-righteousness for other threads.

To me, "best sect" is contradictory to the most basic tenants of Islam, in which Allah has specifically asked the ummah NOT to split up into sects.

Oh and if someone is going to cite some hadeeth, please keep in mind that what Allah has said in the Quran can be 'supported' in a Hadeeth, but cannot be superseded by a Hadeeth. So if the Prophet (SAW) had said that there will be 72/73 different sects and one of them will be right ... that doesn't mean that we have to have to choose a sect!

Come to think of it, what are the odds of your sect being 'the best one', the 'most righteous one'? Just 1 out of 73!! That's pretty bad actually! That translates into just 1.4% chances that you are the right one! Whereas 98.6% chances are that you are wrong!! That you were just like the disbelievers ... that you had gone astray ... that you were lied to and misled into believing the wrong things, that you knowingly ignored Allah's order NOT to get divided into sects!

Allah swt told us in Quran :

59:7 So take what the Messenger assigns to you, and deny yourselves that which he withholds from you. And fear Allah. for Allah is strict in Punishment.

2:110 And be steadfast in prayer and regular in charity: And whatever good ye send forth for your souls before you, ye shall find it with Allah. for Allah sees Well all that ye do.

How can a muslem pray or follow the prophet if he/she ignore the hadiths of the prophet.......I think one should study history of Islam and how people began to lie and invent new teachings in Islam to understand the importance of Sunna of the prophet salla Allah alaihi wa salam. I think this hadith about sects is clear explanation of what happened later and how people started to change the pure message of Islam ....so we have to be carefull and return to the pure sources: Quran and Sunna ..not to follow a sect but to be a true follower of our prophet salla Allah alaihi wa sallam And Allah knows best.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i just like to stick with the qur'an and sunnah. the sahaba, were considered to be the best generation and they were the best because they truly followed the qur'an and sunnah, and that what we should aspire to. the prophet :saw: said that they were the best and no one can be better than them; but in good spirit we should try to be like them.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

First of all..I need to clarify something...

the word *sect* was mentioned repeatedly...and the issue of "73 sects" was brought up..and this is something out of a haidth..

I know which hadith is brought to attention here and it is the following one:

Tirmidhi Hadith No. 171, the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, “My Ummah will be fragmented into seventy three sects, and all of them will be in Hell fire except one sect.” The companions asked Allah’s messenger which group that would be. Where upon he replied, “It is the one to which I and my companions belong”.

Many of you are so quick to read up a hadith and not remember that it has been *translated*!!!

In Arabic...the hadith goes as follows:

ستفترق هذه الأمة على ثلاث وسبعين فرقة كلها في النار إلا واحدة، قيل: من هي يا رسول الله؟ قال: من كان على مثل ما أنا عليه وأصحابي. وفي بعض الروايات: هي الجماعة.

I have underlined a single word in the hadith in Arabic..and it is the word *firqa* (in English I highlighted the word *sects*)

If you translate *firqa* to English..it would mean *troupe* (the closest translation!)..*band*..or even..*group* (the weakest translation)...

If you translate *sect* to Arabic..it would translate to *Tae'efa*..in Arabic..طائفة

If you read the transliteration..and you look at the words as they are in Arabic..you'll see an OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE!

Nowhere in the Arabic hadith (THE ORIGINAL!)..does the word *tae'efa* or "sect"..APPEAR in any way..shape..or form!

Which brings me to three points...

1. When transmitting and discussing the Qura'an and the hadith..we should be mind of the fact that they had been translated and thus we need to be thorough in our claims and careful of our interpretations! (and I am sure..many of us can find different translations too..so yeah..you get the idea!)

2. After the short explanation about the translation..we can see that...no mention of *sectism* is made...rather..there is a reminder to remain steadfast to way of the Prophet (pbuh) and his companions (ra)..because the Ummah will divided into *troupes* or *bands*...which we need to AVOID..and stick to the pure and validated way of following Islam..and that is..The Qura'an + Al-Sunnah...because that is *the call*..*the path*..*the essence*..of what Islam is about!

3. I don't know how many of us are aware of this but..Hadiths..have their *tafsir* (commentary) as well..so we need to be *acquainted* with the *tafsir of hadith*..so we don't sit there and make *assumptions* (beyond what is already obvious!)

Also..if anybody who tries to bring up the word *sect* and the *division of the Ummah into sects*..is using a *wrong* translation of a word in this hadith!..and they should be made made aware of that..and anyone who tries to tell you I belong to this sect and that sect..or asks you about your sect...

Don't argue with them..just point out the little *wrong translation* again (should the hadith be brought up)..and say..*and allah knows best*...and let your correction *marinate* in their heads a little..it will make a whole lot of sense later (if Allah wills)

Lastly..

I will leave you with the words of Sayidina Ali (ra)..when he said:

"Grasp *the truth* and you will grasp *its* people (i.e. those who follow it)."

And the words of Al-Ghazali who said:

"Whoever grasps truth through people (i.e. those without proper knowledge) is confounded by the mazes of misguidance."

Please reflect deeply upon these words..

Allah did not give us a brain so we switch its buttons to *off*..don't be *literal* in your judgements..there is a deeper wisdom behind everything in Islam..reflect..and you will be left with a deep comprehension inshallah!
P.S. sister AleahKoto...I have said before to you..if you have such good knowledge and such love towards the Qura'an..then alhamduliallah..may Allah increase this love in every hour and every minute..but..baraka allaho feeki...you need to read it time and time again regarding the importance of Sunnah..and following the Prophet (pbuh)..don't confuse fitnah for the truth sister..you will be *held accountable* for what you have adopted for stands and beliefs on the *day of reckoning*..

Searching_soul

We (muslims) just love being divided :) hehe
i don't know why people tend to ignore hadeeth these days. If they only spent a little time studying the Science of Hadith, Usool ul hadith and the great pain the scholars of earlier times went through to derive the most authentic hadeeth without it getting fabricated, they would really understand that the hadeeths are truly the sayings of the prophet (peace be upon him). Its not like how the christians or jews changed their scriptures after their prophets died.

The hadeeths narrated by the righteous predecessors underwent a deep scrutiny before its given a status of Authenticity.
Subhana ALLAH, if only people spent their time doing a little bit of study on the history of it. Science of Hadith is the first of its kind in the history of Mankind which ALLAH blessed this Ummah with. Its unlike any other Science and its a Very unique and VERY interesting Science.

Allah promised us that he will preserve the Qur'an, and to understand many ayaah of the Qur'an and when and why it was revealed, you should know the hadeeth, that means indirectly ALLAH has promised us that he will preserve the Sunnah of the Prophet as well ... They both complement Each other. You wouldn't know what to do or hw to worship ALLAH if u just took the Qur'an by itself. Sunnah of the prophet was also a revelation from ALLAH almighty. He dint do things just because he felt like it. He did because Jibril (As) instructed him to do it with the permission of ALLAH (swt).

Each Hadith Went thru the 5 main criteria.
-Complete Isnaad (Chain of Narration without any breaks)
-Trustworthy of the narrators (Their Character and their whole biography is studied in detail)
-Their Memory (how good and how bad their memory was)
-whether the hadeeth contradicts something that's stronger than it
-hadeeth Shouldn't have a hidden defect

And each of the above is split up into many subforms.
And the prophet Also said, that his Ummah will always have a group of scholars and their followers who will abide by the true teachings of islam which the Pious predecessors were on. So the sunnah will never be wiped out at any time. It will be preserved just like the Qur'an is Preserved. Insha ALLAH.

Forgive me if i said anything wrong or if i said something out of the topic.