Bishop Nazir-Ali's comments

AhmedARH

:salam2:

i would like to bring to everyones attention about the comments made by Bishop Nazir- Ali. if this has already been discussed, then my apologies for bringing it up again.

The article below is from bbc news website: Sunday, 5 November 2006,

Bishop attacks 'Muslim hypocrisy'

Bishop Nazir-Ali's views differ from the Archbishop of Canterbury
A senior Anglican bishop has accused many Muslims of being guilty of double standards in their view of the world.
The Bishop of Rochester, Michael Nazir-Ali, told the Sunday Times some had a "dual psychology" in which they sought "victimhood and domination".

The Muslim Council of Britain said the comments were "not very helpful".

The bishop, whose father converted from Islam, also said situations such as teaching could require Muslim women not to wear full-face veils.

Mr Nazir-Ali argued it would never be possible to satisfy all of the demands made by Muslims because "their complaint often boils down to the position that it is always right to intervene when Muslims are victims... and always wrong when Muslims are the oppressors or terrorists".

He compared Bosnia and Kosovo, where he said Muslims were oppressed, with the powerful position of the Taleban in Afghanistan, who he said had been the oppressors.

He added: "Given the world view that has given rise to such grievances, there can never be sufficient appeasement and new demands will continue to be made."

A Muslim Council of Britain spokesman said the remarks in the paper appeared "rather broad brushed".

He added: "We would normally expect a bishop to display more humility and work towards bringing communities closer together rather than contributing towards fostering greater divisions."

Veil debate

The bishop's comments on the use of full-face veils by Muslim women add to the debate sparked by Commons Leader Jack Straw, the former foreign secretary, last month.

He disclosed that he asks Muslim women to remove the veil when they attend his Blackburn constituency surgeries.

Mr Straw also suggested that Muslim women who wear veils over their faces can make community relations harder.

In the Sunday Times, Mr Nazir-Ali referred to a "huge increase" in the wearing of Muslim dress in Egypt, Pakistan and Malaysia.

He said: "I can see nothing in Islam that prescribes the wearing of the full-face veil.

"In the supermarket those at the cash till need to be recognised. Teaching is another profession in which society requires recognition and identification."

Dr Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, entered the veil debate last month by saying people should be free to wear visible religious symbols.

He said aiming for a society where no symbols such as veils, crosses, sidelocks or turbans would be seen was "politically dangerous". (end of article).

The bishop seems to have conveyed a narrow-minded and to an extent a cynical view of muslims living world-wide. Judge for example his comments about double-standards, when looking at the current world situation, it is the muslims who are being victimised by double standards (Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine..). In a world which is being dominated by western politics, so we are given a view of the world which is only acceptable by western standards.

This double standards has its roots back to World War One. The current world order we see today is as a result of what happened at the end of WW1, whilst many died for freedom and peace, there was one group of people who, to this very day, got neither freedom or peace, they are the Palestinians brothers and sisters, the real victims of double standards.
wa salam

stranger786

Dream of His Slavery

In the Sunday Times, Mr Nazir-Ali referred to a "huge increase" in the wearing of Muslim dress in Egypt, Pakistan and Malaysia.

ya i read about his comments.Every body want to have ''hounor´´ of insulting islam and then they get reward by having their name on front pages in newspaper.

Well i just comment on his above quote..this quote is showing that some thing is burnig inside them ..seems like jealouness.But indeed as a muslim it make me happy and feel proud of muslim sister.

Long Live Islam

AhmedARH

alhamdulillah, it is great to see an increase of muslim sisters wearing the niqab. it is a sign of increase piety in this ummah and sign of its increase in strength. christianity as we see it, is a failing religion. more people are leaving christianity (christian atheists, howver incompatible both seem, do exist). this ummah is seeing more and more devout brothers and sisters who the media lebel as extremists.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum,

he just wants to make a name for himself thats all.

The Facts speak for themselves, he is just a cold hearted spiteful bigot.

He compared Bosnia and Kosovo, where he said Muslims were oppressed, with the powerful position of the Taleban in Afghanistan, who he said had been the oppressors.

Thats a load of rubbish (to put it mildly). Since when did Taliban rape and murder tens of thousands of people..

Chechnya, Kashmir, Palestine, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Iraq, Uzbekistan and many other places are the direct result of foreign policy.

Muslims are not the oppressors, no Muslim occupies another land, no Muslim goes about using daisy cutters, cluster bombs and napalm on civillians. No, its the people that Nazir Ali loves. For he is with the murdering bigots.

There is No Muslim hypocrisy, the hypocrisy is his for failing to put the pressure on the Real Terrorists, for failing to address and put Tony Blair straight. But, then i guess he is busy kissing their ass to care.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is No Muslim hypocrisy, the hypocrisy is his for failing to put the pressure on the Real Terrorists, for failing to address and put Tony Blair straight. But, then i guess he is busy kissing their ass to care.

:allahuakbar: lol. You're more than right with that brother.
He's not the first one to try to make Kosovo and Bosnia tragedies with some other countries be the same thing, and who was that?: Israel claimed that. what a big lie, what a lot of rubbish.