British Muslim leaders call for gay marriage exemption alongside Church of England

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
The Muslim Council of Britain, which represents 500 mosques in the UK, has called the legal decision to allow same-sex couples to marry in any religious building discriminatory and has demanded that mosques to be given the same exemption that has been granted to the Church of England and Church of Wales.

The MCB has requested a meeting with MPs to discuss the possibility of a Muslim exemption. The move to legalise same-sex marriages has been highly unpopular, both with politicians and many religious groups.

Article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-angry-Muslims-attack-Governments-plans.html

Thoughts?

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Astagfirullah! Astagfirullah! Astagfirullah!

This is more than shamefull, Astagfirullah. It is obvious that they do not fear Allah and for this what they try to allow for sure they will respond to Allah.

May Allah guide them. Ameen.

:salam2:

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Unfortunately the present British Government is obsessed with pushing gay rights on everyone, including the religious population of the UK. Even gay people have said they do not care for this legislation.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Seems many governments behave like this in the west - they think it is modern way to act and don´t listen even those whose rights they believe to protect. My country is the last one of the Nordic countries who doesn´t accept "gay marriage", just kind of civil registered relationship.

John Smith

Politicians love nothing more but to get voters onside.

It's disgusting that a country like the UK would allow such an act to go through.

The social fabric of this country is being stripped day by day to a point wher it would not surprise me that under aged sex could be made legal.

Sign of the times in deed.

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Seems many governments behave like this in the west - they think it is modern way to act and don´t listen even those whose rights they believe to protect. My country is the last one of the Nordic countries who doesn´t accept "gay marriage", just kind of civil registered relationship.

It seems that governments now will sink to any level. There's an organisation called the Coalition for Marriage which is currently lobbying to have laws such as this one overturned.

a_stranger

Assalmu alaikim
Astagfur Allah , Astagfur Allah , Astagfur Allah .When people misunderstand the meaning of this life as Allah subhanahu made clear in Quran and Sunna then the whole life go astray . No person can change the law of Allah.

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Politicians love nothing more but to get voters onside.

It's disgusting that a country like the UK would allow such an act to go through.

The social fabric of this country is being stripped day by day to a point wher it would not surprise me that under aged sex could be made legal.

Sign of the times in deed.

The Tory government seems to actively detest anything that is moral. There's talk of them legalising both cannabis (plus other drugs could be included) and more late-night drinking. Already the various governments here have permitted nightclubs and bars to open 24 hours a day, which has led to massive amounts of drunken behavior, arrests and other immoral activities such as pre-marital sex. The present government have also authorised more betting shops to have more gambling, including electronic betting machines allowing people to spend up to £100 a time (about $160), even though there is clear evidence that such places increase crime rates and it is really only the poorer people in society who go in them, who can easily become addicted to betting and spending money they don't have, or getting into debt.

Wouldn't surprise me on the underage sex being legalised either. I read somewhere that rates of underage sex and teen pregnancy are increasing in the UK, already the highest in Europe and the present Gov's strategy seems to be 'if it's a problem, legalise it'.

tic_tac_toe

Here is the exact Press Release from MCB

MCB opposes the discriminatory gay marriage law

The Muslim Council of Britain is appalled to see the utterly discriminatory provision of the new gay marriage legislation proposed by the government. Farooq Murad, the Secretary General of the MCB said, “We find it incredible that while introducing the bill in the House, culture secretary Maria Miller could keep a straight face when offering exemption for the established Church while in the same breath claiming, ‘fairness to be at the heart of her proposals’.

The government announced that, the Church of England and Church in Wales will be banned in law from offering same-sex marriages, with other religious organisations able to opt in to holding ceremonies.

Mr. Murad added, “ It is not just the ‘Church of England and Church in Wales’ who "explicitly" stated strong opposition’ as Mrs. Miller says, the Muslim Council of Britain along with most other faith groups also made equally strong representation”. He said “no one in their right mind should accept such a discriminatory law. It should be amended to give exactly the same exemption to all the religions." The MCB is seeking an urgent meeting with the Culture Secretary to express the concerns of the Muslim community on the proposed legislation.

Notes to Editors

The Muslim Council of Britain is the UK's largest Muslim umbrella body with over 500 affiliated national, regional and local organisations, mosques, charities and schools.

For further information please contact the MCB:

The Muslim Council of Britain,

PO Box 57330,
London, E1 2WJ

Tel: 0845 26 26 786

Fax: 0207 247 7079

[email protected]

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Thank you for that post. I was trying to post that particular piece in my OP but doing it on an iPad is near impossible.