Brother needs a haircut, but where does my beard stop?

g0lden

As-salam aleikum brothers....and sister if you choose to check out this thread.

Since I have started growing my Beard, I have not had a haircut in sometime now. Partly because every time I go get my haircut I tell them not to touch my side burns or trim them and they still do. So I have chosen not to go get my haircut. A lot of brothers seem to cut the top short and leave the beard. My question is; Where does my beard stop? So I can trim at the correct level.

Jazak'Allah for any info you can provide.

Dawud

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

A fist length is the minimum. You take your fist and hold your beard right under your chin (as much as you can). If your beard fills your fist and extends beyond your fist, then that means you can trim it to your first length from the chin. But the Hadith of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم is to let the beard grow without doing anything to it. But there is scholarly consensus that one can trim it to a fist length, many Sahabas used to practice it. Allah knows Best.

g0lden

A fist length is the minimum. You take your fist and hold your beard right under your chin (as much as you can). If your beard fills your fist and extends beyond your fist, then that means you can trim it to your first length from the chin. But the Hadith of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم is to let the beard grow without doing anything to it. But there is scholarly consensus that one can trim it to a fist length, many Sahabas used to practice it. Allah knows Best.

I am so sorry brother, but thanks for the reply. What I wanted to know is where does my beard stop near my ears. I want to cut the hair on top of my head short, but do not want to cut into my beard.
I already went ahead and cut my hair myself, and I think I did a good job. At first I cut it from my glasses up, but realized the hair underneath was a bit long and resembled locks of hair as the Jewish would wear. I cut them immediately and now my beard looks much better :)

Dawud

bari

I attended a class offered by al maghrib. A fist length is not necessary
, it is hanafi opinion. Classically, jaw bone and chin is lehyah ie place for beard. Rest of the area is not termed as beard. Muslims always should look tidy and presentable. Trimming to a certain length which assures that you have kept beard, then you have fulfilled the condition.