BUY ITEM/RETURN ITEM

Karima

Asalamualikum,

I have some very prayerful muslima friends whom make it a practice to buy something to use for a short period, then return it for a refund.

The reasons are that the 'large stores' offer refunds, and do not really miss the little cash refunded.'

I know this is wrong, and do not want to offend them for reminding them that this is wrong to do. I have mentioned this on a few occasions, and it did not seem to set in that this was wrong to do, because of store policies.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could help them understand that this is not right to do?

Salam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam,

well if someone does something wrong, the only thing we can do is tell them.

If someone does not like something and they return it, and it is not going against store policy then it is not wrong. They are not keeping the goods are they?

If the store policy is anyone can return an item for any reason, even after they have used it. Then it is Ok. But, if they lie or damage the goods in order to get refund then obviously they are doing something dishonest.

In today's market of having best customer service stores often have good return and refund policies on goods.

Its upto them if they listen to your advice or not.

wasalam.

Karima

Wasalam,

The intention is to use it for a short time for an occasion or two, then return it or items....

It is in the thought process to leave the tags on the items, use them, then return them. For such simple things that are not that costly, it is the 'intention' of returning them after using them that is not right to do.

It seems to be an honest way to get a refund, but to think this is the plan for using items for a short time, this is wrong. It is not placing judgement. This is a way of thinking that seems to be ok, which, to me is haram.

Allah sees all, and when it is obvious this is the way to use things for free, then it is not what Allah would wish of us, I would think.

I want to be careful of how to explain this is wrong to do, when it has been planned all along to 'borrow' from a store....only to get a refund.

Salam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

Yes, people need to think if they had a shop, would they like people to do such things??

Honesty is one of best and essential characteristics of a true Muslim. Cheating and lying to people is forbidden. A Muslim must never cheat, lie, be dishonest to anyone, whether they are Muslim, non-Muslim

The Prophet :saw: said , "Truthfulness leads to righteousness, and righteousness leads to Paradise. A man continues to tell the truth until he becomes a truthful person. Falsehood leads to al fujuwr (i.e. wickedness, evil-doing), and al fujuwr (wickedness) leads to the (Hell) Fire, and a man may continue to tell lies till he is written before Allah, a liar." [Hadith No. 8.116]
It was related by Muslim.

The Prophet :saw: also said:
If you guarantee me six things on your part I shall guarantee you Paradise. Speak the truth when you talk, keep a promise when you make it, when you are trusted with something fulfill your trust, avoid sexual immorality, lower your guise, and restrain your hands from injustice." [Ubadah Ibn al Samit, Ahmad, Bayhaqi]

When someone purchases a good, he does so by sharing knowledge of the purchase. It is done in goodwill, that the person is actually buying the item, not that they will keep tags on it and pretend they never used it. This is breaking the trust and being dishonest. It is clearly a sin to do that. The Prophet :saw: ordered us> "when you are trusted with something fulfill your trust"

Allah, most high also says:

O you who believe! Eat not up your property among yourselves in vanities: but let there be amongst you traffic and trade by mutual good-will: nor kill (or destroy) yourselves: for verily Allah has been to you Most Merciful. [Al Qur'an 4:29]

Mutual goodwill. In this situation the Store and the Customer have that mutual goodwill. That goodwill is that the customer is actually making a real purchase, they are not borrowing or hiring anything. It is meant for them to use the items not to lie about them and give them back after using.

Furthermore Allah, most High, most Gracious says:

Woe to those that deal in fraud those who when they have to receive by measure from men exact full measure. But when they have to give by measure or weight to men give less than due. Do they not think that they will be called to account? [Al Qur'an 83:1-4]

Why should people care???

Are these small gains in this world More precious then disobeying Allah ??? Allah is the all-knower and the people who disobey and cheat others will be held accountable.

Allah, most high says in the Quran:

Say, "If it be that your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your mates, or your kindred; the wealth that you have gained; the commerce in which you fear a decline; or the dwellings in which you delight - are dearer to you than Allah, or His Messenger, or the striving in His cause -then wait until Allah brings about His Decision: and Allah guides not the rebellious." [Al Qur'an 9:24]

Wasalam.

Khadijah

Assalamu Alaikum,
People do need to realize that, yes, maybe WalMart can afford this but it still doesn't make it right, not everyone is rich like them. We have a small shop, we make just enough to get by, and when people do this we lose that money as we can't resell the product as new, if at all. People watch videos and read books and return them after they're done and even they expect if they break something they should get their money back. We always refund defective products and we will loan out videos for people, so I never understand how someone who is Muslim can think this is ok to do. Thanks Br Mabsoot for the good reply, maybe I should print it out and hang it in the store!
Wasalam, Khadijah

Karima

Asalamualikum,

Thank you, Mabsoot, for Allah's guidance through you to show wisdom in this. Honesty for each of us is accountable in all things.

Another possible reason for why some choose to 'return' after using, could be that they are short with funds, and try to use their money wisely.

Allah provides as he wills, and we should not 'cheat' a store to save a buck, when it will harm us in the end of judgement. It is much better to be right in Allah's eyes than to depend on what is left over, after using the product purchased.

Our intentions should be of good cause, and not of dishonesty in all matters. Allah is all seeing and all knowing.

Salam

Submitter

:salam2:

Our intentions should be of good cause, and not of dishonesty in all matters. Allah is all seeing and all knowing.

I agree this is all about intentions. If they buy these goods with the intention of returning them later then IMO this is not a reflection of the high levels of morals that Islam teachers. We need to strive to become the best Muslims we can be and I'm sure your friends can manage to stop doing this as a small step to achieving this goal.

:wasalam: