CAN A GIRL PLAY BASKETBALL?

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
:salam2:

I just wanted to know is it haram when a girl plays basketball.
You see i love playing basketball and i cant stop . I was asked by my gym teacher and by the girls basketball coach to play in the girls basketball team. However i refused due to the clothes they wear. But is it haram to play infront of other students, and is it haram for me to play any other sport. As you know i cant pass gym if i dont play. And if i dont pass gym i cant graduate.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum

You can play Basketball, as long as no men see you.

If you can wear clothes which are not revealing, then it is fine inshaAllah.

I used to play Basketball too, although my school was non-Muslim it was Boys only school, so not problem.

Wasalam.

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Asalam Alakum Wa Rahmet Allah Wa barakatu

What do you mean as long as men dont see you?
I attend a public school and i have gym with both boys and girls. What should i do?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum

Ok, I will try find out inshAllah, it is late here and I got to go.

But, one suggestion is to completely ditch it altogether, can you not get a letter written by your parents and cite your Islamic reasons for not being able to do it?? - This is one option

Wasalam

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalamu Alaykum
Yes, can you use religion as an excuse? It should work since you live in America...

lol, I suddenly have a picture of a girl wearing a Hijab crossing up girls wearing basketball shorts...

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!

No im not asking whether i should dress like them, i already told the couch im not going to play, he said its ok if i dont want to.

Im asking is it haram for me to play basketball in general without being in the team. just play with my friends in gym.

And NewMuslim they didnt ask me to wear shorts they asked me to wear pants but i dont wear pants.

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!

wait one second ya all though i was asking about me playing in shortssss :astag: :astag: :astag:
EVEN IF I HAD A KNIFE ON MY NECK I WILL NEVER DRESS LIKE THAT.

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa alaykum assalam

Im asking is it haram for me to play basketball in general without being in the team. just play with my friends in gym.

no it's not haram for you to play basketball in general. Sports keep a person healthy and as long as its in the right atmosphere it should be fine.

(btw i like basketball too :p )

gym w/ both boys and girls.. eh.. that's a toughie...

can your friends get a secluded corner? Maybe a different timing?

If you have to go through w/ this class and its in a mixed setting and all... maybe you could just ask for a free basket on any little area??

Usually when we had b-ball ppl sorted themselves out.

There was a group of vigorous guys b-ball w/ all the school basketball players

A similiar girls section...

An i-am-being-forced section....

An i-am-not-really-doing-anything section...

A nobody-else-will-take-me section (sad, but i aint lieing)

AND maybe a couple of more low key areas... (too many groups to be specific)

Maybe you could avoid what's worse and find an area w/o too many ppl??

I don't know... just ideas... not sure what kind they are...

Wassalam.

muslimahindeen

:salam2: I see no prob with a girl playing basketball or any other sport ,once it is the confines of the shariah and she's in a place where they are only females around .......she can shoot the hoops or whatever she likes .......enjoy:hijabi: :SMILY259: :SMILY259: :SMILY259: :SMILY259:

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!

Thank you for your answers. I play basketball all the time and im a great basketball player and i enjoy playing it.

NOW IM RELAXED! I WAS SCARED IF IT WAS HARAM TO PLAY.
THANK YOU

Soubane

Asslamum Alaykum brothers and sisters in islam

:holaaa:You can participate any activities along there is not man or boys watching you because you can't jump around all day when men is watching you.
any, basketball is exercise so why should exercises be haram for woman or girs.