Can You Help?

David Gould

I hestitate to bring this to you but the need is urgent and the case seems so unfair. I am moved by the fact that there seems an unwritten law in this country which views the fact of someone's faith as a crime. One such man is Farid Hilali who it seems has committed no crime (he has never been charged as such); he has been imprisoned since 2003, and now faces extradition to Spain on deeply flawed grounds. I was wondering if anyone is already involved in trying to help his case or would like to be?

David Gould

Some information plus a link

30/01/2008
Action Alert: Protest Farid Hilali's Extradition

Farid Hilali is a Moroccan national who has lived in Britain at various times for over 15 years. He was detained in the United Arab Emirates in 1999 where he was asked to be an informant by the British security services. He believes that he was detained and tortured for precisely this reason. The UAE authorities forcibly repatriated him to Morocco, where his and his families lives was made “hell”, in the words of his solicitors in Morocco. This involved being arrested, tortured and interrogated day and night without notice, his family being threatened, and many other abuses. He returned to the United Kingdom in 2001, and a few years later on
the 3rd September 2003 was arrested under the Terrorism Act 2000, at which point he made an application for asylum, fearing a return to Morocco.

He was then subjected to a European arrest warrant on the part of Spain, alleging that he was in part responsible for conspiracy to Murder in relation to the attacks upon the United States on the 11th September 2001. The basis of this allegation was based upon vague interpretations of intercepted telephone communication.

The Spanish Prosecutor Mr Pedro Rubira has made false statements to British Courts to substantiate these allegations. He stated that he was involved in the ‘Hamburg Cell’ and wanted in Germany. In documents provided to Farids’ solicitors, the German Prosecutors office, it is stated that “There is no investigation, with respect to the terror attacks of 11th
September 2001 against Farid Hilali (or ‘Shakur’ / ‘Shukri’). The investigations carried out in this connection did not give any indication that Hilali was a member of the terrorist organisation of Mohammed Atta in Hamburg or had supported this organisation.”

Mr Rubira also stated that he has been identified as a member of a terrorist cell in Spanish courts, however no such transcripts of court statements exist to substantiate this. The Madrid Bar Association has compiled a report against Mr Rubira to this effect.

For further details related to the above, please see the campaign pack “Justice for Farid Hilali”, produced by ourselves and with the close co-operation and support of Arani Solicitors.

Despite all the incidents mentioned, Farid has now been authorised to be extradited to Spain under the terms of the European Arrest Warrant. In Spain, he risks being deported to Morocco or suffering torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the Spanish Prison system. Both of these occurrences are likely, and documented by Amnesty International and the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture.

It is a matter of urgency that protests from the Muslim community are made to prevent this through the seeking of an injunction from the European Court of Human Rights. I urge all readers to phone, fax, email and write to all the persons detailed in “key contacts" in order to facilitate this, as it is quite literally a matter of life and death for Farid Hilali.

There are many ways in order to help Farid Hilali and prevent his extradition. It is imperative that you carry out as many actions as possible, as his health and indeed his life is in grave danger. All of these actions do have an effect. If the situation is highlighted in the correct manner with as much exposure as possible, there is every chance that the European and
British Courts are obliged to review the evidence in more detail as a matter of public interest.

Actions Required :-

• Write letters and make phone calls to the European Court of Human Rights, asking them to prevent the deportation

• Write and phone the Spanish Embassy, asking them to halt the extradition proceedings

• Write to Farid, and send him messages of support. Details can be provided upon request.

• At the very least, make Dua’ to Allah (Swt) to ease his suffering

KEY CONTACTS

European Court of Human Rights
President
European Court of Human Rights
Council of Europe
67075 Strasbourg-Cedex
France
Fax : +33 (0)3 88 41 27 30
Tél : +33 (0)3 88 41 20 18

Spanish Embassy
39 Chesham Pl
London, SW1X 8SB
TEL : 020 72355555

David Gould

Help for Farid Halali

Sadly farid was extradited to Spain last friday 8th February where he faces unknown problems. We are worried that he will be mistreated over there or even rendered to Morocco where he was tortured in the past.

Farid is a lovely man who should not have been treated the way that he has. My heartfelt prayer for him is that he is freed and allowed to live in the country of his choice away from the threat or abuse and torture.

His new address is:-

Farid Hilali
CENTRO PENITENCIARIO DE SOTO DEL REAL (MADRID V)
Carretera Comarcal 611,
Kilómetro 37,6 28770
Soto del Real (Madrid)

He would very much like to get letters from as many people as possible to encourage him and to let Spain know that the eyes of the world are watching them.

Please remember Farid in your prayers as he will be in mine. Thank you.

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
When I was in Amnesty International, I was constantly bombarded with such stories, evey time we set up a petition to help someone, another case would arise. Thanks for the information, does Farid Hilali have an email address? It would be much easier to email than to post.
May Allah sw reward you for your concern.