Car back window/arabic Clgrphy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
:salam2: All,

Inshallah hope everyone is in good health.I wanted to find out if anyone knows that is it haram or in another term wrong to have a sura`h or a ayat from`the Quràn in "arabic" engraved or printed on the back window of a car.

Jazzak-Allah Khair in advance.:SMILY149:

:wasalam:

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
:salam2: , I think some people do it without knowledge...and I think it's mostly a practice of non-Muslims. But here is a good answer about it.

Selling posters and frames of Qur’aanic verses

Question:
what is the view on people who take parts/quotes from the Qu'ran and sell them in frames/posters/books for profit? Where the profit obtained goes towards aiding an Islamic event/organisation/school/society?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We thank you for your keenness to learn and for asking about matters of calling people to Allaah (da’wah), for calling people without knowledge of sharee’ah may do more harm than good.

With regard to selling these frames and posters, we will explain the ruling on selling them after we discuss the ruling on hanging up such items.

Hanging up plaques and cloths containing aayaat of the Qur’aan in homes, schools, social clubs and places of business, involves a number of actions which are reprehensible and forbidden according to Islam, such as the following:

1 – In most cases, hanging such things on the wall is done for purposes of decoration and adornment, as the aayaat etc. are written in calligraphy and colourful brocade. This is a deviation from the purpose for which the Qur’aan was revealed, as it was revealed to guide people, teach them in a good manner and to be read regularly, etc. The Qur’aan was not revealed to decorate walls, but to guide mankind and jinn.

2 – Many people hang up such things to seek “blessing” from them, which is a form of bid‘ah (innovation). The blessing as described in Islam comes from reading or reciting the Qur’aan, not from hanging it up or placing it on shelves or turning it into artwork and three-dimensional images.

3 – This is contrary to the practice of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the Rightly-Guided Khaleefahs (al-Khulafaa’ al-Raashidoon), may Allaah be pleased with them, who never did such a thing. The best way is to follow them, not to introduce innovations. History tells us that in places such as Andalusia, Turkey, etc., the adornment of houses and mosques with ornate carvings of aayaat only happened at times when the Muslims were weak and humiliated.

4 – Hanging up such pictures or plaques is a means that may lead to shirk, because some people think that these plaques and hangings are amulets that will protect the house and its people from evil and disease. This belief is shirk and is haraam, because the One Who really offers protection is Allaah, may He be glorified, and one of the means of gaining His protection is to recite the Qur’an and du‘aa’s taught in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, with humility and certain faith.

5 – By writing such things, it means that the Qur’aan may be taken as a means of promoting one’s business or increasing one’s earnings. The Qur’aan should be protected from being used for such purposes. It is well-known that the production and sale of these pictures and plaques involves a great deal of extravagance and wasting money.

6 – Many of these plaques are painted with real gold, which makes using them and hanging them up even more haraam.

7 – Many of these plaques clearly involve a kind of frivolity, because the letters are twisted into complex designs that are of no benefit to anyone because they are barely legible. Sometimes words are fashioned into the shape of a bird or a man prostrating, and similarly forbidden pictures of animate beings.

8 – Ayaat and soorahs of the Qur’aan are exposed to misuse and abuse by this practice. For example, when moving house, they are piled up with the rest of the furniture and belongings, and other objects may be placed on top of them. This also happens when they are taken down so that the wall may be painted or cleaned. This is in addition to the fact that they may be hung up in places where Allaah is disobeyed and the sanctity of the Qur’aan is not respected.

9 – Some Muslims whose observance of Islam is lacking put these plaques up so that they can feel that they are doing something religious, in order to reduce their feelings of guilt – in spite of the fact that this practice does not help them in any way.

All in all, we must close the doors of evil and follow the leaders of guidance of the early centuries of Islam, whose people the Prophet (peace be upon him) testified were the best of the Muslims in belief and in all rulings of their religion.

Moreover, if someone were to say, “We are not going to abuse it or make it a decoration or exaggerate about it, we just want to remind people (about their religion) in our gatherings”, our response would be: if we look at real life, will we find that this is what actually happens? Do people really remember Allah? Do they even read these aayaat when they raise their heads?

What really happens is the opposite: people go against the words hanging over their heads, they still tell lies, engage in gossip, make fun of others and do and say evil things. Even if we assume that there are some who do benefit from these plaques etc., the fact is that they are very few, and this does not change the hukm (Islamic ruling) on the matter.

The Muslims must turn to the Book of Allaah, read it and recite it, and act in accordance with it. We ask Allaah to make the Qur’aan a light of guidance for us, and a means of removing our grief and anxiety.

What we have said to you here is a summary of the fatwas issued by the senior scholars of our times, such as Shaykh Ibn Baaz and the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas in the Kingdom (of Saudi Arabia), and Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthyameen, as in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah bi Ri’aasat al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, fatwas # 2078 and 17659.

Based on the above, you should not sell these frames because by doing so you may be committing some of the haraam actions mentioned by the scholars, and you may be the cause of others committing those actions.

We ask Allaah to guide us and you to the straight path.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
:salam2:
Does this fatwa mean that if somebody is so careful in avoiding the mentioned precautions he can just hang whatever frames of Suras he wants as reminders?

We hang lots of them at home. And I assure u they are very good reminders and not merely for decoration. I can not give my worthless opinion bkz im not a mufti, so inshallah I will do more research and try to find other fatwas.

Globalpeace

Banned
Haramain??? Saudi Arabia? Saudi Government Policies?

:salam2: , I think some people do it without knowledge...and I think it's mostly a practice of non-Muslims. But here is a good answer about it.

Selling posters and frames of Qur’aanic verses

Question:
what is the view on people who take parts/quotes from the Qu'ran and sell them in frames/posters/books for profit? Where the profit obtained goes towards aiding an Islamic event/organisation/school/society?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We thank you for your keenness to learn and for asking about matters of calling people to Allaah (da’wah), for calling people without knowledge of sharee’ah may do more harm than good.

With regard to selling these frames and posters, we will explain the ruling on selling them after we discuss the ruling on hanging up such items.

Hanging up plaques and cloths containing aayaat of the Qur’aan in homes, schools, social clubs and places of business, involves a number of actions which are reprehensible and forbidden according to Islam, such as the following:

1 – In most cases, hanging such things on the wall is done for purposes of decoration and adornment, as the aayaat etc. are written in calligraphy and colourful brocade. This is a deviation from the purpose for which the Qur’aan was revealed, as it was revealed to guide people, teach them in a good manner and to be read regularly, etc. The Qur’aan was not revealed to decorate walls, but to guide mankind and jinn.

2 – Many people hang up such things to seek “blessing” from them, which is a form of bid‘ah (innovation). The blessing as described in Islam comes from reading or reciting the Qur’aan, not from hanging it up or placing it on shelves or turning it into artwork and three-dimensional images.

3 – This is contrary to the practice of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the Rightly-Guided Khaleefahs (al-Khulafaa’ al-Raashidoon), may Allaah be pleased with them, who never did such a thing. The best way is to follow them, not to introduce innovations. History tells us that in places such as Andalusia, Turkey, etc., the adornment of houses and mosques with ornate carvings of aayaat only happened at times when the Muslims were weak and humiliated.

4 – Hanging up such pictures or plaques is a means that may lead to shirk, because some people think that these plaques and hangings are amulets that will protect the house and its people from evil and disease. This belief is shirk and is haraam, because the One Who really offers protection is Allaah, may He be glorified, and one of the means of gaining His protection is to recite the Qur’an and du‘aa’s taught in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, with humility and certain faith.

5 – By writing such things, it means that the Qur’aan may be taken as a means of promoting one’s business or increasing one’s earnings. The Qur’aan should be protected from being used for such purposes. It is well-known that the production and sale of these pictures and plaques involves a great deal of extravagance and wasting money.

6 – Many of these plaques are painted with real gold, which makes using them and hanging them up even more haraam.

7 – Many of these plaques clearly involve a kind of frivolity, because the letters are twisted into complex designs that are of no benefit to anyone because they are barely legible. Sometimes words are fashioned into the shape of a bird or a man prostrating, and similarly forbidden pictures of animate beings.

8 – Ayaat and soorahs of the Qur’aan are exposed to misuse and abuse by this practice. For example, when moving house, they are piled up with the rest of the furniture and belongings, and other objects may be placed on top of them. This also happens when they are taken down so that the wall may be painted or cleaned. This is in addition to the fact that they may be hung up in places where Allaah is disobeyed and the sanctity of the Qur’aan is not respected.

9 – Some Muslims whose observance of Islam is lacking put these plaques up so that they can feel that they are doing something religious, in order to reduce their feelings of guilt – in spite of the fact that this practice does not help them in any way.

All in all, we must close the doors of evil and follow the leaders of guidance of the early centuries of Islam, whose people the Prophet (peace be upon him) testified were the best of the Muslims in belief and in all rulings of their religion.

Moreover, if someone were to say, “We are not going to abuse it or make it a decoration or exaggerate about it, we just want to remind people (about their religion) in our gatherings”, our response would be: if we look at real life, will we find that this is what actually happens? Do people really remember Allah? Do they even read these aayaat when they raise their heads?

What really happens is the opposite: people go against the words hanging over their heads, they still tell lies, engage in gossip, make fun of others and do and say evil things. Even if we assume that there are some who do benefit from these plaques etc., the fact is that they are very few, and this does not change the hukm (Islamic ruling) on the matter.

The Muslims must turn to the Book of Allaah, read it and recite it, and act in accordance with it. We ask Allaah to make the Qur’aan a light of guidance for us, and a means of removing our grief and anxiety.

What we have said to you here is a summary of the fatwas issued by the senior scholars of our times, such as Shaykh Ibn Baaz and the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas in the Kingdom (of Saudi Arabia), and Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthyameen, as in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah bi Ri’aasat al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, fatwas # 2078 and 17659.

Based on the above, you should not sell these frames because by doing so you may be committing some of the haraam actions mentioned by the scholars, and you may be the cause of others committing those actions.

We ask Allaah to guide us and you to the straight path.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Asslamo Allaikum Ukhti,

Although logically I would agree with the answer but please explain as to WHY:

1) The Saudi government pays millions to have these verses engraved on the wall/roof of the Harmain and repair the old ones?

2) The cover of Kabah has these verses in GOLD and costs millions and provided by Saudi government and put on UNDER the supervision of Ulama?

3) These things are freely available in both Makkah & Madina; why are the Scholars permitting such acts which are then perpetrated throughout the Islamic world?

Surely Islam-qa & all other Scholars are in a position to ADVISE this PRACTISE to be stopped to the Saudi Government?

I am neither arguing, nor critiquing but surely an ACT WHICH IS SO OBJECTIONABLE shouldn’t be carried out right under the noses of Scholars?

Don’t you think, Sister?

For the Record Everyone! I don't know the right answer but this Fatwa sounds a BIT EXTREME & NOT being acted on in its native country!​

um muhammad al-mahdi

Staff member

I just try to give the best of the suggestions.Obviously searching for good fatawas. If in Saudi or any other country in the world they sell & buy those things is their business between them and Allah.

The best we can do is to follow the Sunnah and don't add innovations to our religion advising our brothers & sisters to do so.
Islam is the perfect religion....but we are not.:ma:

Globalpeace

Banned

I just try to give the best of the suggestions.Obviously searching for good fatawas. If in Saudi or any other country in the world they sell & buy those things is their business between them and Allah.

The best we can do is to follow the Sunnah and don't add innovations to our religion advising our brothers & sisters to do so.
Islam is the perfect religion....but we are not.:ma:

Asslamo Allaikum Dear Respected Sister in Islam,

1) Your reply implies that you believe this to be an innovation as in Bid’aah? Can you please confirm?

2) Because the charities run by the administrative division of Haramain (in both Makkah, Madina) sell books, CD’s, pictures and engraving of verses of the Qur’aan; and it is plainly obvious for all to see.

3) If you enter the little office which is setup in Masjidun-Nabawi BEHIND the two sets of Umbrellas on your left (if your back is facing the Prophets’s grave) which is setup to advise Hajees on different aspects of Shariah, you will notice plenty of ENGRAVINGS with verses of the Qur’aan on the walls

4) If you enter the little office which is setup in Masjidul-Haram (you have to take the lift downstairs) NEXT to the King’s palace and outside of Safa/Marwa; which is setup to advise Hajees on different aspects of Shariah, you will notice plenty of ENGRAVINGS with verses of the Qur’aan on the walls

5) If you visit the PILGRIM centre in both Beir-Ali (outside of Madinah) & the one outside of Makkah (can’t remember the name, someone tell me please) & in the sections which are setup to advise Hajees on different aspects of Shariah, you will notice plenty of ENGRAVINGS with verses of the Qur’aan on the walls

3, 4 & 5 usually have scholars who answer your queries ON THE SPOT in many languages i.e. Arabic. English, Urdu etc….& May Allah (SWT) reward them all for their efforts (Ameen).

3,4 & 5 can be easily verified by anyone going for Hajj/Umrah! Actually if you haven’t noticed I want you all to MAKE A POINT and see it yourself.

Let me repeat these are not businesses and ignorant people who don’t know Shariah!

I respect you a lot, but this DOES NOT make any sense to me, personally.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Asslamo Allaikum Ukhti,

Although logically I would agree with the answer but please explain as to WHY:

1) The Saudi government pays millions to have these verses engraved on the wall/roof of the Harmain and repair the old ones?

2) The cover of Kabah has these verses in GOLD and costs millions and provided by Saudi government and put on UNDER the supervision of Ulama?

3) These things are freely available in both Makkah & Madina; why are the Scholars permitting such acts which are then perpetrated throughout the Islamic world?

Surely Islam-qa & all other Scholars are in a position to ADVISE this PRACTISE to be stopped to the Saudi Government?

I am neither arguing, nor critiquing but surely an ACT WHICH IS SO OBJECTIONABLE shouldn’t be carried out right under the noses of Scholars?

Don’t you think, Sister?

For the Record Everyone! I don't know the right answer but this Fatwa sounds a BIT EXTREME & NOT being acted on in its native country!​

salaam alikom

Brother what the scholar saying its for every one ...they didnt say its Allwoed for saudi Gov. and Haram for us, eventually you have some issues with saudia because it saw it more than once you try to bad mouth them and genearlize it to every one in Saudi...that dosnt give you excuse to claim that the scholars just allowing such things in Saudi.

Shiekh and Imam Ali Jaber was removed from Makkah because his well know Khutbah in Makkah about some issue concerened the gov.

When president of Iran once visited Madinnah ( Allah knows best) he did something like spitting when he reached to the Omar bin Khtab and Abu Baker grave. The imam saw what he did, next day the Khutbah was about Shia and sunni and whats the right of the Companion and as i heard the president of Iran didnt pray the jummah and left.

How do you know they didnt object to the writtings but who listen to the scholars?? I dont think they will start a fitnah because of that.

The point is you need to see that thier Fatwah is not just for us its for Saudi Gov. too, if it was in thier hand I am sure they wont allow it on the walls of madinah mosque or makkah.

Beside the scholars are Human being too make mistakes..

Allah knows best.

Globalpeace

Banned
salaam alikom

Brother, I think the scholar saying it to every one they didnt say its Allwoed for saudi Gov. and Haram for us, eventually you have some issues with saudi that dosnt give you excuse to claim that the scholars just allowing such things in Saudi.

Shiekh and Imam Ali Jaber was removed from Makkah because his well know Khutbah in Makkah about some issue concerened the gov.

When president of Iran once visited Madinnah ( Allah knows best) he did something like spitting when he reached to the Omar bin Khtab and Abu Baker grave. next day the Khutbah was about Shia and sunni and whats the right of the Companion and as i heard the president of Iran didnt pray the jummah and left.

How do you know they didnt object to the writtings but who listen to the scholars they wont start a fitnah because of that.

The point is you need to see that thier Fatwah is not just for us its for Saudi Gov. too if it was in thier hand I am sure they wont allow it on the walls of madinah mosque or makkah.

Beside the scholars are Human being too make mistakes..

Allah knows best.

Asslamo Allaikum,

Brother, I believe that you have not read points 3,4 & 5 of my last post.

These sections are MANNED by SCHOLARS to advise Hajees from world-wide about Shariah and the walls are MOST CERTAINLY decorated with engravings.

There are millions of people who are witnesses every year to this.

So AT BEST the Fatwa is perhaps a difference of opinion, would you & Dear Respected Sister in Islam Ukti accept? Because all I am very humbly trying to say that it is NOT being acted by Saudi Scholars themselves?

Your next point “about how do you know” is in the realms of speculation and from Ilmul-Kalam (polemics), philosophy & logic and personally I am not good at any of those tings.

All I am saying is what I have seen & no one including you and Dear Respected Sister is disuputing my information so I am assuming that you are agreeing with the presence of these?

Allahu Ta’ala Alum.

May Allah (SWT) reward both of you for taking the time & further clarifying the issue.

Lastly I have studied in Saudia & frequently used to visit the Center for Dawah and benefit from the Scholars so everything is based on personal observation.

um muhammad al-mahdi

Staff member
So AT BEST the Fatwa is perhaps a difference of opinion, would you & Dear Respected Sister in Islam Ukti accept? Because all I am very humbly trying to say that it is NOT being acted by Saudi Scholars themselves?

:salam2: brother,

ok, they don't act upon it...so what should we advice to our brothers & sister: "...well, in Saudi they do it...so do it as well..."?? come on, it'is going REALLY far... we are just advising our sister about this topic:ma:

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

My point is the way you talking about the scholars as they are favoring the Saudi Gov. that was my point.

The scholars said its not Allowed, so if the gov still doing against the fatwa .. what you want the scholar to do ?

beside as for Makkah and Kaba and Madinah some one should ask what about them why they write on the cover of the Kabba., It might be a different issue.

These things are freely available in both Makkah & Madina; why are the Scholars permitting such acts which are then perpetrated throughout the Islamic world?

Yes they are I lived most of my life there, but what you want the scholars to do, go on streets and tell each and every shop its Haram to sell them,
Muslim people sell Beer in the stors in U.S and west countries and they are Muslim and they know ITS haram !

I hope you getting my point here..

Wa salaam alikom

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Often we need physical reminders of our faith. We keep verses to help us remember we are in the presence of Allah. It has been in Islam forever. Each home has the Beautiful 99 Names of Allah.
I often think is it not written to guard your worship. I know each time I glance at the name of Allah subhana talla peace descends on me. Islam is not a religion of austerity. Nor is a religion of philistines who nit-pick the letter of the law.
Is not the bottom line reverence? Please tell me if I am wrong.

Globalpeace

Banned
salaam alikom

My point is the way you talking about the scholars as they are favoring the Saudi Gov. that was my point.

The scholars said its not Allowed, so if the gov still doing what they want them to do ? beside as for Makkah and Kaba and Madinah some one should ask what about them why they write on the cover of the Kabba., It might be a different issue.

Yes they are I lived most of my life there, but what you want the scholars to go on streets and tell each and every shop its Haram to sell them, people sell Beer in the stors in U.S and west countries and they are Muslim and they know ITS haram !

I hope you getting my point here..

Wa salaam alikom
Asslamo Allaikum Dear Brother,

I LOVE you for the sake of Allah (SWT)...

My message was not meant to convey the point that there is a collusion between Ulama & Saudi Government, perhaps you misunderstood it. I apologise if you took it that way.

Points 3,4 & 5 of my post are self-explanatory and require no explanation or elucidation & if you have ALSO lived in Saudia then you would ALSO know this clearly!

Salaam,

Often we need physical reminders of our faith. We keep verses to help us remember we are in the presence of Allah. It has been in Islam forever. Each home has the Beautiful 99 Names of Allah.
I often think is it not written to guard your worship. I know each time I glance at the name of Allah subhana talla peace descends on me. Islam is not a religion of austerity. Nor is a religion of philistines who nit-pick the letter of the law.
Is not the bottom line reverence? Please tell me if I am wrong.

Asalaamalikum,

I agree. I think even having like bumper stickers on our cars (i.e. I love Allah) are good reminders and a way to spread the message.

Jihan

I really believe something like this is based merely on the person's intention. I know many ppl that hang quranic frames to replace animated frames. We have some at our house (quranic... that is). I've never imagined it as anything bad. But the important thing is to look at life of the prophet did he have this in his home? If not, is it something he warned us NOT to do? We all need to look at all these possibilities. Furthermore, we need to use sound sorce as well as innate intelligence to differentiate the accepted and the unaccepted. Sister Zarah, is this fatwa clear to you? does it consider all view points? If it does to you then I believe you should consider it. Allahu 'alam this is an opinion I achieved by my small knowledge, so there is probably a lot wrong with.

ps: by engraved markings we mean like the one that is draped on the Ka'bah, right?

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
:salam2: All,

Inshallah hope everyone is in good health.I wanted to find out if anyone knows that is it haram or in another term wrong to have a sura`h or a ayat from`the Quràn in "arabic" engraved or printed on the back window of a car.

Jazzak-Allah Khair in advance.:SMILY149:

:wasalam:

Assalamualycum,

I heard that we shoulld not put the Ayah of Quran on windows of our car.

Please it will be better if u ask any Aalim or Mufti regading this.

Wasalam

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

Brother and sisters the scholars opinion is clear people might put bumber sticker where it says I love Allah and you park your car and some one might come and lean back on ur car with his feet on ur bumber on the name of Allah.

I agree some time it helps people remebering Allah s.w.t but I dont think it has anything to do with faith dose it increase it ? .. some time people all kind of frams @ thier house and in the same room there is a TV and music so what kind of respect they giving to the verses of Quran?

As for 99 names of Allah i see it a lot in mosques and homes, but they should be in our heart and we should memorize them as Hadith says Allah: Abu Huraira reported that the Messenger of Allah said, "Allah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one. Whoever ahsaha will enter Paradise. (Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim) instead of hanging them on the wall, it will become as any design we have on a wall.

Again some people might not have a tv and they put these frams etc. so its better to ask another scholars if you are not convinced.. but there is a point in what the scholar said about hanging the frams but Allah knows.
best

** I have a frame with a verse in my room ** my point is that scholar have a point in what he is saying

Wa jazaakom Allah khair,

Brother GP May Allah love you too since you love your brother for his Sake.
and I love you for sake of Allah too.

wa salaam alikom

wa salaam alikom

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Brother Mr. Muslim think of this a physical reminder is a sign of an inner grace. I do not believe I am writing this but brother, hijab is a physcial reminder of an inner grace...it is the same thing...the physical reminder stops you in the middle of this world and you reflect..your eyes are soothed.
Do not people wear minature Qurans around thier necks..physical reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.