Catholics Sue Malaysia Over "Allah" Ban

bint S

:salam2:

Catholics Sue Malaysia Over "Allah" Ban

IslamOnline.net & News Agencies

Malaysian Christians say they have used the word "Allah" for generations in prayers and masses

KUALA LUMPUR — A Malaysian catholic newspaper and church have sued the government over banning Catholics from using the word "Allah", the Arabic name of God.
"We are in the view that we have the right to use the word Allah, (a right) which ... is now sought to be curtailed," Father Lawrence Andrew, editor of The Herald, told Agence France-Presse (AFP) on Friday, December 28.

The Internal Security Ministry has banned articles written in Malay in The Herald, the weekly newspaper of the Catholic Church, for using the word "Allah".

It argued that the word "Allah" should not be used by religious communities other than Muslims.

Lawrence said that the ban was unconstitutional and against freedom of religion.

The lawsuit names the internal security minister, a post held by Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, as a co-defendant.

The Sabah Evangelical Church of Borneo has also filed a separate lawsuit against the government over the ban and confiscation of books containing the word "Allah".

"The decision to declare 'Allah' as only for Muslims, categorizing this as a security issue, and banning books with the word 'Allah,' is unlawful," lawyer Lim Heng Seng told the Associated Press on Friday.

Pastor Jerry Dusing said three boxes of children's education material have been confiscated by authorities from a church member.

He said that officials argued that the confiscated material contained the word "Allah" that could raise confusion and controversy among Muslims.

Race, language and religion are touchy issues in multiethnic Malaysia, where Muslim Malays form about 60 percent of the 26-million population.

Popular 'Allah'

Pastor Dusing said Malaysian Christians have used the word "Allah" for generations in prayers and masses.

"The Christian usage of 'Allah' predates Islam," he said.

"'Allah' is the name of God in the old Arabic Bible as well as in the modern Arabic Bible," he said, adding that "Allah" was widely used by Christians in Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq, Indonesia and other world countries.

He said the church is asking the court to declare the Catholics' constitutional right to use the word "Allah" and for the right to import publications with the word in it.

Christians make up around 9.1 percent of Malaysia's population, including a Catholic population of nearly 800,000.

Usually dubbed the "melting pot" of Asia for its potpourri of cultures, Malaysia has long been held up as a model of peaceful co-existence among its races and religions.

Buddhists and Hindus constitute 19.2 and 6.3 percent of the population respectively.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
I dont see why not ... but then there might be more to it.

I've heard of Christians named "Abdullah" (slave of Allah).

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
I actually don't think there's anything wrong with this as the word "Allah" means God in Arabic and many Christian Arabs say Allah to mean their God as He is still the one God we all follow. It is HERE in the Western world where this idea stemmed that "Allah" means the MUSLIM God which is entirely FALSE. Allah is the word for God and that is all. He is One and the Same. Even in Pakistan, where the majority is Muslim, I know that Pakistani Christians also refer to God as Allah.

If anything, this is promoting the validity of Islam as being an authentic religion to the extent that even Christians accept it by calling "god" Allah. It shows that they believe we all have One God and thus, showing Islam to be THE true religion.

dunno

im not sure about it but i think its ok becuse the word allah means god and many christans in egypt and in other arab country use the word this is the first time i hear its not ok to use
thanks for the post

taxhonesty

Info Warrior
this seems like a situation when government over steps its bounds.

Amendment One

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

this seems like a good idea to me then you bypass the whole controversy.

Hasibah

im not sure about it but i think its ok becuse the word allah means god and many christans in egypt and in other arab country use the word this is the first time i hear its not ok to use
thanks for the post

Agree:tti_sister:

dianne

Sue or not sue they still do not know who is ALLAH

Some of the Catholics told me that their ALLAH isnt same of my ALLAH.
I reply I know who is my ALLAH better than you know.we worships the Creators of earth & heaven

dianne

First it was Hindraf, and now this.
I am having mix feelings over this decision. But maybe the govenment feels that lets not bring anymore racial/religious tension

OOH yea?What do u know about Hindraf? They make a demonstrations at the Bt Caves Temple & destroy the place! That is Why our government cares about - the peaceful,harmony without any dangers as you know better,Muslim leaders must took care of his country even some of them are non muslim,ahlil kitab.

When he DIed,he will face Allah swt.

wassalamualaikum